DSP Satellite Build

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Joy Cohn, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Joy Cohn

Joy Cohn New Member

I've been developing a model of a Defense Support Program satellite - the bigger variety. The project has been sitting idle a while and I wanted to take it out and dust it off. It doesn't lack much and it'll be finished in approximately 1/48th scale.

I'll try to have build pictures soon.

Attached Files:

2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

This looks very interesting! Any background info would be highly appreciated. Thanks! :)
  3. RocketmanTan

RocketmanTan Well-Known Member

Wow, looks great! I've always been interested in spy satellites and the like. Can't wait to see more!
  4. Joy Cohn

Joy Cohn New Member

Reference Info

Aha, of course, 'what the heck is it?'.

I prefer to consult the Great Wiki, who has the best description around.

One can search on 'DSP Satellite' or go here:

This model represents the later versions - DSP-I, which starts with bird #14. This design has been superseded by the SBIRS satellites.
  5. Joy Cohn

Joy Cohn New Member

I'll be creating the IUS as well, so that it can be built in launch or deployed versions. Should go well with Thorsten's 1/48th Shuttle.

Attached Files:

6. Joy Cohn

Joy Cohn New Member

More Pics

I've made some progress, between work and a nasty cold which made progress difficult.

Attached Files:

7. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

There's a simple IUS included with the Magellan Venus space probe over at the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center (jlesie48.com - in the post-Apollo models). Might be of use.

Interesting project.

8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Great start Jtalie! I look forward to the final outcome. :)
  9. inky

inky Member

This is looking great, I to am looking forward to the final outcome.
  10. Joy Cohn

Joy Cohn New Member

More soon

Thanks - that internal support needed some tweaking

As for the IUS - I've been contemplating how to do the ribs. I have the shapes drawn (I don't often need to unfold things and work out the shapes mathematically.

This may be small enough to just paint them on: building would be simplified a great deal.

Take a look at my Tiros at nielspapermodels.com and see what I mean. That's a big model which needs the bottom supports. But the sensors and anti-spin systems are just drawn on and look fine. I'd have to double the size before I'd consider any extra parts.

Thanks again. This will look even better when I start adding the panel wings on the bottom.
  11. Joy Cohn

Joy Cohn New Member

Data Bus Installation

Starting to look like a model.

Also notice, the body tube in the back is the fit testing on an X-17 model. More on that later.

Attached Files:

12. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Just love it, keep it up. Many are following, even if they don't post!
  13. Joy Cohn

Joy Cohn New Member

Sorry for the lack of posts - work has been busy for a long time and during this build I realized I needed to redesign a couple of the parts on this model and create some internal support.
  14. Zathros

Zathros Guest

It happens to all of us, it's called life. :)