Drive by Shooting: Lafayette NS Yards

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I didn't realize our aerial photo was up to date enough to show hte right of way where the horseshoe curve wiull go, and the bridges in place:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ad...-86.88052534&alat=40.44463732&w=2&ref=A|47904

The yards are in the lower left corner, then below the large white exit ramps toward the middle, there is the new bridge where the AD tracks will go over the highway.

The long building in the lower left is the old Monon shop, now used by CSX.

The NS yards:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ad...-86.88052534&alat=40.44463732&w=2&ref=A|47904

Attachments

• aerial.jpg
    aerial.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 63

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Here you can see the whole yard, which hasn't changed much I don't think, since 1998. The stub going near my house was the main, now ends 1/2 mile south of my house (a little over half showing here). You can even see the caboose and the shack behind it.

Attachments

• aerial2.jpg
    aerial2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 64

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Looking at the aerial photo's made me realize a couple of things:

The sidings into Staleys actually go all the way through and back into the yard, so Staleys is liek it's in the middle of the yard itself.

And, I see how to get to the back of yards for more photo's. Adjacent to the yard, towards the back left (west) side, all the curvey roads are a cemetary, meaning public access by law, meaning a good place to take pics!

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by jon-monon
:wave: Ya it do :wave:

Be interesting to see how good of photo's I can get from the cemetary. Never been in it, drove by a 1/2 million times.

Oh I can see this now,....... "

Squad 51 - see the man at the cemetary.... Reports "subject" taking pictures of the railroad from the cemetary...

He's WHAT - taking pics of WHERE??!!??!!??

ROFL!!!

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Ya, that place pumps 'em out FAST! I dunno who buys 'em all. If you go back to that aerial view link, you can scroll around and see the first view from the link only shows half of 'em. BTW: It's SIA - Subarau (SP?) Issuzu (SP?) A(?) of Lafayette IN at I65 and SR38. It's pretty amazing inside, you can watch robots weld a truck frame together in 30 seconds.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
aaq.jpg

I have been trying to catch a train parked on the mini horseshoe curve for weeks. There is a break in the pan, because I had to move to a 2nd location (actually driving again) for the shots to the left, thanks to a new Jiffy Lube going in and blocking my view :curse: :curse: :curse: sublims on: boycott boycott boycott :curse: :curse: :curse:

On the right, the train is going off the horseshoe and heading down the mainline, by the graveyard. There is a second one being built up on the curve to the far right and might get connected to it. If you immagine the long train curves over and connects to the other, you can kind of see how the trains leave the NS yard and get to the mainline by going up and out the curve. One day I hope to catch a whole train occupying the whole curve into the yard, then I will replace this shot. I was on my way to work and had to hurry, but maybe next time I can walk across the grass and view behing the Jiffy lube and get it all in one pan.