Drive by Shooting: Lafayette NS Yards

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Originally posted by jon-monon
Deeper in the yard, smaller stands are used, but htey've added these ridicules yellow handles to them, which must negate any benefit of the smaller head :confused: The yellow handles are a recent addition.

Good to see they lock the switches out there. Don't always do that around here.

Is the photo on the left on NS or CSX track?

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Yes, I think it's good to lock the gate whenever it's unattended. Maybe not as important in a yard, but certainly where there is any significant traffic.

Saturday, I began my walkby by parking about 1/2 mile away from the yards, at Kirby Risk and walking over. This is the siding that leaves the yard, parallel to a leg on the wye. It feeds two lumber yards, Alcoa, Cat, and some sort of feedmill, and who knows what else. Looking away from the yards -

Attachments

• 539.jpg
    539.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 29

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Then the other side of the yard. In the background, see the Tripple Crown trailers on their way out? When the mainlines used to cross all the streets, if you see Tripple Crown's at the crossing you need to get through, turn around and find another way. They are Loooooooooong.

Attachments

• 577.jpg
    577.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 41

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
I'll try to get a whole pan of these AD tracks one day, when there is somethin' interesting on 'em. They make a complete 180 degree horseshoe, as well as climb up enough to go over the highway this is shot from, all in about 1/2 mile, I guess, then they go behind the CSX yards and can be seen in those shots I took from 18th street , in the foreground.

Attachments

• 558.jpg
    558.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 93