Drift Wheels

Discussion in 'RC Drifting and Setup' started by Asinine, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Asinine

Asinine Guest

I read somewhere that you can make your own indestructible (almost) zero traction drift tires out of ABS or PVC tubing.

Is that true, and what size of rim/tubing do i need to buy?

I went a picked up a crappy set of wheels for my 190mm body and a 10' length of PVC 2" tubing, but the rim edge goes to half way into the ABS tubing wall.

Any suggestions?
  2. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

You may have gotten a bit thick of ABS. I wouldnt say they are "Indestructable" as i've broken my share of them, but they are almost Zero Traction :!:

The best thing to do would be take the rim into the hardware store, and try and fit it before buying it. You may have to get some a bit bigger (A few millimeters or so) and have to use electrical tape to fill the gap and make them tight enough to not fall off.

What i did with mine was i used some old chunked foam tires, removed the foam, and then bought PVC Cuff links that had a nub in them on the inside, and used a dremel to sand away that nub. Then used a rubber mallet to smash them on, then used a belt sander to sand off the excess, but still leaving me with "Deep Dish" Effect wheels. I like to use a Foam Tire rim due to its perfectly flat on the inside and doesnt have nipples or nubs (for glueing rubber tyres on) and so it has a tight fit.

Or, you can break down and buy some off Ebay for around $5-$10 that are pre cut, you just have to hammer them to the rim.
  3. Asinine

Asinine Guest

Cool, thanks for the info!