DRGW SD-45-T2, ATSF SD-24-Low Nose

nmtexman

I recently got lucky enough to pick up these engines recently. In brass, no less :p ! Here's my problem. The DRGW SD-45-T2 is in Black/Orange and made by Samhongsa; the ATSF SD-24-Low Nose is in Black/Silver Zebra stripes and made by DaiYoung and has a Kato mechanism :D ! Both came unnumbered and I've been trying to find pictures of them so I can get a correct number. Any help would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

BDC

Unfortunately, the D&RGW never had SD45T-2s. They had SD40T-2's that were similar from a distance but different when you got up closer.

Rio Grande numbered the SD40T-2's from 5341 to 5413. I'll attach a couple photos to give you a reference for numbers.

Attachments

• rg 5347n.jpg
    rg 5347n.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 77

BDC

I can't recall exactly when the noselights and classification lights got plated up, but they did eventually.

Attachments

• rg 5400b.jpg
    rg 5400b.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 76

BDC

The easiest way to tell the difference between a -45T and -40T is to count the access hatches for the exhaust fans under the rear grill. The -45T has three and the -40T has two. This picture shows a SP SD45T-2 and a UP-repainted SD40T-2 for comparison.

Attachments

• tunnel motor comparison.jpg
    tunnel motor comparison.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 74

nmtexman

Manufacturer's License

Looking at the engine I have, it has 3 access ports like a SD45T2 but it is in DRGW colors and roadname. Since DRGW didn't have SD45T2, as BDC indicated, this must be another case of a manufacturer not knowing what was going on.

Like those SantaFe F2's an old manufacturer kept putting out. Anyway, I have an SD45T2 in DRGW colors that I need a (semi-) valid number for. I ordered MicroScales decal sheet for the SD45 DRGW.

This is such a nice looking engine that I'm not even going to worry too much about the SD45/SD45T2 controversy. Hopefully, it'll run as good as it looks. My N-Trak club is setting up at the Albuquerque GATS this weekend, so I will surely find out.

Thanks for the info, BDC.