Dremel

CN1

Clerk

I have the same battery operated Dremel tool. I got mine at Home Depot.

To hold small drill bit I tape the shank of the drill bit with "Duct tape" and that works beautifully.

Blake

I use a single speed Dremel model 275 with a Dremel tabletop speed controller. The table top speed controller allows you to really fine tune the speed. I also use the Dremel brand keyless chuck (I had one of the cheaper knock offs and it was way out of balance). I also use a foot switch that is only on or off. With the foot switch, you can set the speed a bit higher and just take your foot off the pedal if it goes a little to fast. I have not removed the Dremel keyless chuck since I bought it over a year ago. Trust me, this is the BEST way to use the Dremel tool and it only took me 20 years to come to that conclusion. I constantly use #80 drills and been using the same for well over 4 years. Have drilled probably over 1000 holes with it in brass, wood and plastic.

Vic

Dremel makes a full closure chuck....just like a 3 jaw Jacobs chuck that will fit right in the tool with no modifications. It will handle 60-80 size drills.

A light dimmer makes a good speed control for light use. If you want some thing with a bit more capacity use a speed control for a ceiling fan. I use the fan controller on both my Dremel and my lathe....works very smooth with hardly any plusing.

But....I never was really satisfied with the Dremel....too noisy, doesn't fit my hand and the front bushing in them will tend to wear out. Bought a Ryobi when they came out and much better. Runs smoother and has a ball bearing in the front end.

The Dremel full closure chuck will not fit the Ryobi....The threaded shaft on the Ryobi is too long. But if you will place several small washers inside of the back of the Dremel chuck it will screw down tight on the Ryobi tool and will work just fine.

Tip.....When using any cutting tool or a handpiece never force the work....just let the speed of the tool do the work. It may take a little longer but you'll break very few cutting tools or drill bits.

krokodil

If you really want to have a very slow running tool, just connect those machines (Dremel or equivalent) to a 12-48 V transformer. (does not matter DC or AC)

(This method unfortunatelly does not work with semiconductor speed controlled devices (SCR)

:cry:

The older Dremel models with a switch on the side (or the single speed machines) work perfect and the speed is very slow.

This method is good for any mains powered machine (drill, saw etc.) from 110-240V and they will work very well on 24 V an similar with very slow speed (not much power, but the speed is important).
I use my 240V drill machine for winding coils etc. with excellent results (and are very quite at this speed). The power supply is a variable one from 2-36V DC/3A max.

:rolleyes:

jon-monon

Could it be kind of like a flex-shaft attachment?

That's right; I was at a loss for words...

As TC said, it works well to hang the motor tool when using a flex shaft.

On the original topic of drilling, I never use a dremel to drill with, I just go for the drill press. It's jacob chuck hold the smallest bit I have. Else, the pin vice.

brakie

Guys,To put it quite frankly I would be lost without my good old Dremel as I use it on many projects.I use the battery powered dremel to drill holes and to cut ABS plastic..I use my electric powered Dremel for all "heavy duty" cutting.

As Vic stated dremel does makes a full closure chuck.... I say don't leave home without it if you want to get the most out of your Dremel.I seldom use a pin vise to drill holes with and haven't for some time since I got that full closure chuck.

Clerk

One of the uses for my dremel tool.
My wife buys lot of crazy buttons. A lot of them have this thing on the back with one hole to sew the button on. I use my dremel cut off tool to cut this off, then a grinding wheel to smooth it down and use super glue to glue on the earring post. VIOLA! A set of earrings for my wife.

Here are two sets of earrings I made for her.

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 38