Dream along with me

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Darwin, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwin

Darwin Member

I've always wanted my very own hobby shop....and now I'm getting close (the ground was broken this morning). I would post a pic, but somehow a shot of bunches of holes in the ground for footings is a bit bland. To get it, I had to make a his/hers/ours agreement with the wife. Still, 370 sq. ft. of floorspace that is MINE isn't too bad. If all goes according to plan, the exterior structure will be completed by mid-month. Then, the real work starts....as much as I am still able to accomplish (with the help of my adopted grandson) I'm doing myself. The heating (I'm currently leaning toward a pellet stove) and electrical hookup will be contracted out to the pros...installing the distribution panel and emergency generator is best left to the pros. The electrical circuits, insulation, interior wall framing and sheetrocking are things within my skill set, but it remains to be seen if still within my physical ability. One thing that every modeler will understand is a near psychotic desire for electrical outlets...lots and lots of them, including in the ceiling near the middle of the room, so that work tables need not be limited to the perimeter of the room. Also, lots of lights. Ceiling, wall, etc. One "domestic touch" (and a concession to the short growing season in Idaho) is the window choice for the southern end of the building....a total of four greenhouse windows for herbs (not HERB....I left that stuff behind in the 60s) and flowers, complete with grow lights. I will keep you posted with pictures as it grows.

View attachment 12135
  2. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Looks great! Man I wish I had that large a room dedicated to model building.
    I know oyur gonna be happy with it, keep us posted on all the progress. Can't wait to see the finished deal and dream.
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Duuuuude!!! That is awesome!!! I would give my right, er, um, leg, for that setup!!!
    You are one lucky guy! Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing shots of the footer and watch this whole thing come to life!
    Hobby Headquarters!8) :grin:
    It would have been really nice to have the whole area but I can understand the compromise, I have a wife also.:roll:

Still just one thing I would change and that is a real small but very functional, bathroom, with just toilet and sink.
    Then you don't have to leave if you have to go!:twisted:
    You need water for hobby stuff anyway, right?

4. Darwin

Darwin Member

Russell, I considered that, but the entrance door is only 20 ft from the back door of the house (and even closer to a self-draining water hydrant), I decided against the cost of plumbing it at this time. However, the way it is sited on my lot, there is room for an addition in the future for a bathroom/hot-tub room. It would only require about a 10-ft run to tie in with the water line and septic tank, so can be done. It will, however, have a refrigerator and beer keg.:grin: :grin: :grin:
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I recently built an insulated barn 16 x 24 feet two stories high. I used it using Foam Insulated Panels called "SIPS" panels. It would make short work of what you are doing. The 4x8 panels are 3.5" of foam with OSB on the outside. They are equivalent to a 2x4 wall on 9 inch centers. I have attached a load design .pdf that you could study and see if anyone in you are sells these panels. You could build your structure in a week.
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

My mod.........you can never have enough room for models and computers:grin:
  7. Darwin

Darwin Member

As luck would have it, no sooner were the footers poured than we received one fifth of our average yearly allotment of rain. It dried out long enough to level the ground and get the first half of the floor poured. My arthritis is telling me the rain isn't over yet, but so far it has just threatened. The cooler weather is good for the concrete, though, and a few rain showers would actually help. I'm not sure the lawn (such as it is) will ever recover.

View attachment 12262

View attachment 12263

View attachment 12264
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

I guess your commitment has, er, solidified...,

9. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

The rain is better than the snow you got a few weeks ago, isn't it? We were in Butte, Mt for a funeral and had to drive back to Az through that mess.
  10. Darwin

Darwin Member

11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

There will be card models made in their before the summer is out!

What's going on the outside.............metal?

12. Darwin

Darwin Member

The easy part is done. The electrical contractor is next....I'll wire the individual circuits, and in theory have the knowledge to install the distribution panel. However, to ensure getting past the building inspector, I'm going with a professional to do the hookup to the power grid. The current plan *pardon the pun* is to tie in with my house's wiring downstream of the meter and trenching in an underground line to the hobby shop. Plans include a 10 KW propane backup generator. When power goes out and it's 30 F below zero, things can get cold real quick. Tomorrow I start hauling 2x4s for framing the interior. The walls will have an 8-inch air gap for filling with blown-in insulation. I figure it will wind up somewhere around R30.

View attachment 12661

View attachment 12662

View attachment 12663
  13. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Now this is what I call a build thread :D

I'm green with envy - I settled for buying a new dining room table as my wife wants the old one back to eat off !!!!!!
  14. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I would have expected to see a paper mock up of the building first. :wink: But good job on building your dream. I will be looking at carving up my new basement in August. I too have to share with the wife and all here sewing crafts. :cry:
  15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Wow! I love the bay windows!

Very neat job!
  16. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Biggest model ever shown on this site, for sure :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.