Drawbridge

momac

Hi there--I, too, am a refugee from the Atlas forum, which I found attached way too much importance to the number of posts and not enough to the content of those posts . I am also very glad to see that I can attach pictures without having to have a web-site, or mess around with Rail-Images. So----here is a picture of the operating drawbridge across the Nevawasa river on the Petaluma Valley RR. My layout actually goes around the walls and this is the entrance.

Attachments

• Moving3.JPG
    Moving3.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 623

Ray Marinaccio

Welcome to the Gauge momac.
The draw bridge is impressive. What is it made of?
Please post more photos of your layout.

jmarksbery

:wave: Very nice Momac, and welcome home to the Gauge. You will find very friendly people here. And yes please post more pics. :thumb: Jim

momac

The drawbridge is built almost entirely of Plastruct. All bearings are steel pins in brass tubing. The hardest part in building was getting all the pivot points in the same plane, so it didn't bind. That, and I also had to figure out how one of these monsters functioned! This one works exactly as a real one. A small motor in the machinery house drives a shaft with pinion gears on each end, which run a rack on the operating arms. It's been functioning for approximately 8 years now, with very little maintenance. I think the main reason I built it, other than the fact it was a good solution for access, was that I had read in some Kalmbach book that no-one had ever built one that had worked for very long. I love a challenge!
Also posting some more pictures of the Petaluma Valley RR.
Angus Macdonald

Attachments

• Creek (2).jpg
    Creek (2).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 613
  • Fog (2).jpg
    Fog (2).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 607

jmarksbery

That is some fine modeling Momac, and congrats on proving everyone wrong on the operationg draw bridge. Keepem comin. :)

F

Fred_M

Welcome to the gauge, that's one awsome bridge and a great idea. Sure beats a liftout. Fred

CN1

Great Stuff!!

Excellent work :eek: :thumb:

Welcome to The-Gauge momac :wave:

please post more pics :) :thumb:

momac

OK--couple more pictures and then I've got to get back to work on the railroad.
Angus Macdonald

Attachments

• newpix 005.jpg
    newpix 005.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 566
  • newpix 006.jpg
    newpix 006.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 568

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
You have a great talent for scenary!!! I really like that third picture in particular for the way the hills blend into the backdrop. Excellent! Your lift bridge is an engineering marvel. Nicely done! Yep, you start posting pics like that around here you're gonna have to post more! :)
Ralph

Pitchwife

Dreamer
I have to second Ralph on the backdrop. As the time is rapidly approching for that stage on my own layout I have been paying particular attention to that aspect on all of the pictures of other layouts. It's amazing how much range there is in the scenery, all the way from none at all to scenery that seems to go on forever and yours is definately among the later. Welcome to the Gauge and thanks for sharing your great pics. :thumb:

Gary Pfeil

Welcome Angus (and all other Atlas refugees) Awesome bridge! And real nice layout. thanks for posting them.

Gary

momac

Unfortunately, I can't take credit for most of the scenery. It's been a collaboration between myself, Brad Lloyd, Dave Connery, and Denise Showalter. She is the artist who has done the background paintings. I did all the track, bridges, yard, etc (The easy stuff, not requiring any artistic talent), and Brad and Dave have done the rest. And are still in the process of doing it. One of these days, I'll show you the rest of it.
Angus Macdonald

chapmon

That is one impressive bridge. Very well done. Do you have technical drawings or important dimensions if one of us wanted to build one?

Welcome to the Guage.

Mike

RailRon

Angus, welcome to the Gauge!
I did all the track, bridges, yard, etc (The easy stuff, not requiring any artistic talent)
This must be the understatement of the month! :D :D :D
Apart from technical knowledge it take quite a heap of talent to construct the bridges you have! :thumb:

And congratulations - you four seem to be a really great team of modelers! Yep, show us more of your layout and a few more details of that superb drawbridge!

Ron

momac

You know--I wish I did have drawings or specs, but I started with a 1/2 N-scale drawing of a drawbridge, scaled it up to HO, and just started building it. I checked girder sizes in the Plastruct catalog and ordered what I thought I needed. I think by the third re-order, I finally had everything. It's probably not exactly to scale, and it wouldn't please a rivet-counter (it doesn't have any!), but it's hell for stout. Plastruct now sells styrene materials that are more to scale with more prototypical dimensions, and I would use these, were I to do it again. I do plan on building a vertical lift bridge for the third bridge across this space, but that's off in the future.
I've attached a couple of pictures to help explain some of the features.
Angus Macdonald

Attachments

• PVRR1-26 027 (3).jpg
    PVRR1-26 027 (3).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 146
  • PVRR1-26 039 (4).jpg
    PVRR1-26 039 (4).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 144

shaygetz

In B&MCR.R. country, we do mean, horrible, nasty things to rivet counters like, make them ride in a string of old-time passenger cars pulled by a U-50 and all painted in Auto-Train white, red and purple. :eek:

It is a beautiful bridge of the kind I've wanted to build but never had a place for it. Now that I'm doing more dioramas, I believe there will be one built in the near future.

NYC-BKO

Angus,
That is one impressive bridge and layout, it is what alot of us dream of doing, mine is still the unscenicked, unfinished, undecided layout, but I still can run trains. It's nice to have friends who can fill the voids of the talents we lack, the backdrop blending is superb. Thanks for sharing.:thumb::thumb: