Dragon Automata

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by cgutzmer, Oct 3, 2006.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I just posted some pics of my freshly finished dragon build in my gallery. Thought I would never get it done. Hope you like it :D

p.s. I cant find the darn link to pay the designer - dont worry, I will!
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Found it and paid! There were two different download links that gave different options....
  3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Fantastic job! This looks facinating. Does it work (move) pretty well? How would you rate the build - very difficult?
  4. Really nice model, Chris. I started cutting parts on mine back when I downloaded/paid it but I got distracted so unlike yours, it amounts to little.

Procrastination does have its virtues, however, as I can ask you questions :) Did you have any troubles getting the mechanism to work? Anything to be concerned about during the build? It sure looks nice. I need to get back to mine.

Cheers --- Larry
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

its actually quite simple. two suggestions - get a circle cutter for the thick cardboard circles - it would help immensely. Secondly make sure the columns that go up and down are super straight - i had one that was just barely warped and I figured it would be all right - that one binds a bit now. It works to my satisfaction though. Many of the parts are repetitive (the body) so be aware of that going into it - nothing like tank treads though!
  6. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Very fine job! Looks great for the next parade!
    Thanks for sharing.
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

that would be a sweet humongous build I bet...... :D hmmmmmm......
  8. AH...this brings up a question I had when I looked at the instructions. I couldn't find anything that suggested that you were supposed to laminate those cams to a particular thickness. I just checked and I still can't find such a reference. If it's there, where is it and what did you do? As for cutting them, if my Excel blades run out of gas I'll aim my scroll saw at them :)

I can see where that would be an issue. Thanks.

Those of you willing to do tank treads have my admiration...and my sympathy. I have to confess that a part of me wants to take Steve's design and do the mechanism/stand in some exotic wood. I have some purpleheart that would be just super and really add a spark to the model.

Cheers --- Larry
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

At work and dont have the directions but I laminated them onto about 1mm card - its what comes along with our mainframe printouts from work. Good stuff :)
  10. It is the case that this is indicated in small print next to the cams. Did you do the same thing with the crank? No indication there that I can see.

Cheers --- Larry