DPM vs. Walthers Modulars

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by csxengineer, May 15, 2008.

1. csxengineer

csxengineer Member

For the same size building in N scale, which is the cheaper/better way to go? I am making a massive freight warehouse (7 sections wide by 4 sections high). Thanks.
  2. nachoman

nachoman Guest

I have looked at both systems in HO, and I think it depends on what kind of building you are after. For the bulding I am planning on constrution, the style of the DPM system matches the prototype better, so I will use that.

3. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

The DPM Modular Sections are LESS expensive, and nicely detailed. However, you'll probably have trouble painting all those windows.

The Walthers have even sharper detail, better windows, and are 3 times more EXPENSIVE. However, the windows are seperate castings.
  4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I can't vouch for all of the DPM modulars, but those which I used to build National Grocers all had separate door and window castings, easy to paint while still on the sprues.

5. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

My HO DPM modular has seperate casted windows and I highly recommend DPM great kits.

Attached Files:

6. csxengineer

csxengineer Member

mine will be very similar to Dr. Waynes awesome building in the background.
    (geez, that guy is good!)
  7. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Here's a close-up of the harbour side of mine. Seems like the DPM kits are winning this one. Does anyone have a Walthers Modular?

And the front

8. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Whew...tough question. I like the solid feel of the DPM kits, but the doors/sills/windows are hard to paint well (at least for me). I like the way the DPM kits go together.
  9. ScratchyAngel

ScratchyAngel Member

I don't think any of the N scale DPM kits have separately cast windows, right? I know most are responding about HO kits, but the OP asked about N.
  10. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Doh! No wonder I missed that point: N scale is so small I didn't notice mention of it. :p;):-D:-D