DPM Powerhouse kit

iis612

I am going to take a bit of a break from building my benchwork and work on another area, namely the DPM powerhouse kit. It is going to be used as part of the GERN complex.
It features brick exterior walls, but the mortar lines are the same red as the wall itself. I am going to use a wash to bring out the mortar lines. Would it be better to do this prior to construction while they are still on the sprues, after I finish a wall section, or after I finish all of the exterior walls?

Matt

RonP

Member of the WMRC
I'd say build it first, Paint the bricks your prefered brick color. Then randomly make one brown orange and yellow. finish off with a grey wash wiping off the brick face to show color underneath.

ed acosta

I hate to disagree, but you might find it easier to remove the walls from the sprue so they can lay flat while applying the mortar wash. The walls must be level to keep the wash from sliding towards one direction or another. I also find it easier to touch-up bricks and paint door and window details while the walls are laying flat.

I use 5-minute epoxy when assembling the walls in order to make a more durable model. Remember to test fit the joints, filing where necessary, before applying the epoxy.
-Ed

steamhead

I concur with Ed...It's a sight easier to paint EVERYTHING while it's still on the sprues than to handle the whole building trying to paint it. Just be careful when assembling it to use the glue (whatever you choose to use) on the inside, so you don't mess up the finish.