DPM Learning Kit

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I assembled this powerhouse(???) from the DPM modular system learning kit. Still need to add windows.

Does anyone have a suggestion...
1) What this building is / does?
2) How to effectively fill in windows so you can't see inside, but it still looks like glass?

Thanks.

Andrew

Attachments

• dpm lk 01.jpg
    dpm lk 01.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 170

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The roof was done with bird gravel, which was cemented in place with a mix of white glue, dirty paintbrush water, and india ink/alcohol wash. The bird gravel is actually off-white to start with, but takes the colour very well.

Andrew

Attachments

• dpm lk roof.jpg
    dpm lk roof.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 166

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I boarded up two windows with galvanized roofing, dry-brushed some rust, and installed a vent. I don't know if you can see it, but I especially happy with the way the rust running off the window sill turned out.

Andrew

Attachments

• dpm lk windows.jpg
    dpm lk windows.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 165

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
If you spray on a dark wash of a small amount of black latex paint, water and a little dish soap, it will make the windows quite dirty and hard to see through. If you wat them to be even harder to see into you could try some wax paper behind that, especially if you are lighting it.

Maybe a boiler room to heat you other buildings? Or to power your small interurban RR :D:D:D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Great looking model, Andrew!:thumb:
That would fit the bill for many small industrial-type structures...boiler house, machine shop, auto repair shop, etc...
Another way to get that "dirty" look to your windows is to spray the back side of your window glazing with Dullcote.

p.s. I love the boarded up windows & the exaust fan!
:cool: :thumb: :thumb: :cool:

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Nice work! The gravel roof is a neat effect. You can get a similar effect using painted sandpaper. The different grit ratings are handy for different scales and applications.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Ok, so I have been thinking about your suggestions as to what this is...

I think I like the small power station idea. This is probably why I built that huge chimney for it - it is made out the the four left over wide pilasters from the kit.

Anyway, my question is now - is this an appropriate structure for a 1920s - 1930s semi-backwoods/small town layout? I don't have any large industry that would require a seperate heating or power plant, and I am not sure that many parts of the town would even be electrified in the 20s - 30s.

So what am I to do with this? Any more thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome!

Andrew

CN1

May 6, 2003
How about a "metal casting" shop? Y'know, where they would "forge" small customized items for the local printing shop. Or maybe they make specialized tools for the railroad.

BTW Nice job on that building:thumb: :thumb:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I don't have any suggestions for a use for the building other than what's been said so far, but just for fun here's a shot of what I did with that same kit. It might be an interesting idea for a thread - how many folks out there have built this kit and what did you do with it?

Val

Attachments

• autobody.jpg
    autobody.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 105

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Nice Val!

I like the painted portion of the brick wall. Good suggestion about the thread. Over at "another forum" they did a build of the same kit over the course of a month. Everyone then posted their interpretation of the kit when time was up.

Very successful, and interesting idea.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by MasonJar
Ok, so I have been thinking about your suggestions as to what this is...

I think I like the small power station idea. This is probably why I built that huge chimney for it - it is made out the the four left over wide pilasters from the kit.

Anyway, my question is now - is this an appropriate structure for a 1920s - 1930s semi-backwoods/small town layout? I don't have any large industry that would require a seperate heating or power plant, and I am not sure that many parts of the town would even be electrified in the 20s - 30s.

So what am I to do with this? Any more thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome!

Andrew

I don't know about Canada, but here in California during the goldrush, it was common after the second or third time a fire swept through a town and destroyed it, they frequently rebuilt with brick. Of course, then they would have an earthquake knock it down.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Jim - looks like you have too much time on your hands! ;) Thanks for the reminder about the "internal" view block... Doh!

Russ - We had the same cycle of build-wood-structures-watch-them-burn-build-with -brick as you had. We still have our original pumping station in Ottawa, dating from the 1870s. It was initially built not to supply drinking water, but for fire protection. We don't get too many earthquakes, although it is not unheard of. They usually don't knock anything down though.

Andrew

Originally posted by Charlie

Another way to get that "dirty" look to your windows is to spray the back side of your window glazing with Dullcote.

As a followup to Drew's suggestion, spray both sides of the acetate glazing with Dullcote. After it's dried, lightly dust the back side of each piece with light brown or gray chalk powder. That will make the glass look even dustier and dirtier.

Also, an alternative to window shades/blinds/curtains is to print signs to size and cover the inside of the windows. Here are a couple of storefront windows I did a two or three years ago.

Attachments

• windowsigns11w.jpg
    windowsigns11w.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 46