Downtown laneway

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by spitfire, Dec 16, 2003.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

After playing around with numerous arrangements of my various buildings, I am now back to the set up I had on my original diorama -- the diorama that started it all.

Originally I bought a couple of Smalltown USA kits "just to see" what it would be like to make them.

Then, they needed a little scenery around them, so I put them on a styrene base and modelled a couple of grungey back yards and a gravel laneway.

Next, I felt I needed some tracks to lend a little credibility to the scene....

Then a loco and some boxcars just "for realism".

Now I'm building an actual layout (and am already ripping up and re-laying track). This is a very insidious hobby I must say!!!!!!!!

Anyway, here's a shot looking up the back lane behind the stores on St. Clair Ave (the brown building on the right is just a flat propped up for now):

And a detail shot which I have posted once before from a different angle:

:wave: Val
  2. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Looks like that boy is getting "what for" from his mom.
    Great layout and pictures Val.
  3. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Lookin' Gooooood :cool: :cool: :cool:
  4. CN1

CN1 Active Member

Excellent work:thumb:

Nice detail:eek:
  5. pttom

pttom Member

Nice layout Val.:thumb:
  6. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Val, that looks super, what a great looking photo.
  7. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

I like what you've done there. Reminds me of a place I use to live in Powell River B.C.

That's a fine looking tree, too.

Keep up the good work.

TrainClown :wave:
  8. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! :D :D :D

Dick, that young lad is getting a real tongue lashing because he was supposed to clean out the yard but instead he's been at the poolhall down the street.

TC, the foreground tree is just an el-cheapo Scenemaster "maple" that I painted (trunk) and then stuck some Woodland Scenics finescale foliage into to give it an airy look. The tree behind it still needs to be done up the same way.

9. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

Wow you really captured the "look" of St. Clair, (Toronto)
    cool, ...good job!

10. UPJunkie

UPJunkie Member

Great Job bro Looks like the little boy is holding up his middle finger lol :p
  11. UPJunkie

UPJunkie Member

Great Job bro Looks like the little boy is holding up his middle finger lol :p
  12. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Val I could tell you that that is great modeling or great photography (which is true), but the main thing is it is very believable! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  13. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

It looks fantastic Val.

14. csxnscale

csxnscale Member

Lovely scene Val and great detail.
  15. interurban

interurban Active Member

That is one nice shot Val!!!! get some track near by and a box car and then it will bring it to life:D :D :D Rail way life that is:thumb:
  16. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Ya know, I think it's a shame when a modeller posts a picture of a real scene and claims that it's a model. Shame on you!

Oh, wait... It isn't real?!?!???

Great work!!!
  17. aartwmich

aartwmich Member

Niiiiccceeee!! First impression-man that looks/feels real! Then-great modeling-I remember that ivy wall waaayy over there across that street. After another look I see the sidewalk/curb, manholecover/drain-WOW girl you are GOOD!!

How bout a shot of where it sits on the layout-regardless if the layout is half torn up/built??? I been wonderin how your layout is comin Val, I haven't seen much posted about it since I've been back.
  18. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Man, no kidding Val, that DOES look real!!!!!! :thumb: Great work!
  19. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

Wonderful job, Val!
    We've come to expect as much from you! ;)

Looking forward to seeing more! :)
  20. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Great modeling & fantastic photo, Val!:thumb:
    I love the way you've composed the shot...with the low camera angle, the wonderful texture that the trees add, & the way the viewer's eye is led down the alley, to the cross street beyond...great depth of field, too! The scene looks like it's a mile deep!
    :cool: :thumb: :thumb: :cool: