Douglas World Cruiser

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Zathros, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I appreciate the compliment. It kind of is easy to be honest. Especially if someone helps you with a basic understanding. Sometimes people try and make what they do seem like they are specially gifted, and no one else can do or understand what they do. They throw tantrums. Don't ask them to change any features, they'll give you ridiculous reasons, and obfuscate they reality of the situation, they might even explode! That's because designing is incomprehensible. Every step is like doing a Rubik's Cube!

That is not the reality though.

Time committed to Rhino can be a problem . You do need to spend time, and a lot in the beginning to get it. That's true of any CAD program. A lot less time if someone gives you a hand.

This model I am designing is taking long because I work on it so little. I had to build a new computer, fix my MG, take a shower. It's going to take 6 months for me to get a wheel done!:twisted:

You could do Rhino. I'd help you get started with it if you chose to do it, and there are others who would help you here also. I tried to help out a couple of people but they did not stick with it. Maybe they chose a different path. I would be willing to help anyone else who is willing to try. :)
  2. Wad_Cutter

Wad_Cutter Member

I would love to see your work. wc
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

1/24th sale would put the wingspan at 25 inches, right?

1/32 would be 18,759 inches, which seems more manageable.

I think there will have to be a special one for the E.A.A., Gotta think this one through some. Do you think the E.A.A. would take a 2 foot wingspan, (1/24th scale) model Dave?:confused:
  4. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Way beyond my skill level, but I'm already thinking about how to simplify this down to my methods. Best of luck with this, John.
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Marl, I will be making a very simple version of this for downloading, and a detailed one. The one I am doing now is laying the information framework.
    The big one, 25" wingspan, if all works out, is going to the E.A.A.. :)
  6. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I moved this post about using water to form parts as it seemed more relevant to this thread. If anyone else has experience with this, feel free to post you method, if it worked. Thanks!
  7. Wojtee

Wojtee Member

It seems very good, I am interested how will it fit on the whole plane :)

I know about this "wet" method and I used it on tyres - to get the sides round, like this:

Some people (me too) swear not on wetting it with water, but licking it. It seems to me, that the paper behaves a bit differently when licked than when soaked with water. Might be autosuggestion, of course, but there are some enzymes in saliva which may do the trick. And you get pretty personal with your models... :D & :D
  8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Problem is that my plane is a guy! Just look at it. I could never call something so ungainly a "she". I don't drink any more so a 6 pack wouldn't work, maybe I would talk my wife into it! Of course I'd then feel she was cheating.

Your wheels look like those brass eye rings people use for making in tarps to pass a rope of hook into. Very nice!!

The difference between dye and pigment ink is the dye seems to penetrate the paper more. Then it bleeds into the adjoined different color.

The pigment ink sits on top, if you touch the part when it's wet, the paper fibers lift up and it gets fuzzy. I pressed the part between two plastic spoons.

Next time, I will make a positive, and negative mold for the part and that should be interesting.

On the airplane. I am trying to decide if I should make the frame completely out of brass tubing. This model is going to have a 25" inch wingspan. I don't want it to sag. :)
  9. John, your Douglas becomes more interesting each time this thread is updated. I am really enjoying all this. The experimentation with wetting parts is very instructive. I don't know why sometimes people forgets that paper can actually be molded as it has been shown here.

Bigger wings definitely require a good inner structure to prevent sagging because the weight of the cardstock begins to be an issue. That's the problem with big scales. Smaller kits usually don't have that problem.

I'll keep watching this with interest!
  10. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I've been slacking. Yesterday, I re-did the wings and floats, dialed them right to where I want them, and at 1:00 a.m., hit the wrong button and lost the work. Now, I am back to where I left off yesterday. I will stat working on the struts, engine, and a whole bevy of other parts, but this is where I am at now. Looks like I haven't done anything, but in reality, it is a whole new plane from the previous drawing. These parts are final now, so I can move forward. :)

Attached Files:

• R15.jpg
      File size:
      26.2 KB
    • R16.jpg
      File size:
      27.6 KB
  11. DeadlyTedly

DeadlyTedly New Member

Following this thread with interest. I'd say, go ahead with brass frame for strength if you are going big. I'll be using wood pieces in the frame for my Teardrop Camper just because it is so difficult to get a true and strong square piece in card stock. It's called mixed media, but that's OK.
  12. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I am going to have a smaller, all paper version, and a one off for a custom build. I don't have a problem with mixed media either. Sometimes, it's necessary, and the smart thing to do. :)
  13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

It's been a while since I posted on this. I am trying to find some details that are really had to get. I could cop out and put it on wheels but I think it would look better with a float on one side and a wheel on the other, for display purposes. I may just go with wheels, I am not sure. :)

Attached Files:

• t1.jpg
      File size:
      86.9 KB
    • t2.jpg
      File size:
      38 KB
  14. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I kind of didn't mention the problem. It is really hard to figure out where the floats mount and how the mounts look. It looks like the design may have changed during it's round the world flight. The historical records are the main problem. The set up with the wheels isn't hard but the float set up is. Which makes it more attracting. I have seen ready made models, but they aren't really accurate. :)
  15. treadhead1952

treadhead1952 Member

Gee, where you been hiding this one Zathros???

Uh, lets see, FLOATS!sign1

Butt Ugly, nah it was Utilitarian, it wasn't pretty but it did get the job done after a fashion.:thumb:

I believe you are correct about the float mounting getting changed as the flight progressed. I seem to recall reading something about it once upon a time.

Go John Go! - Go John Go! - Go John Go!

There, was that enough encouragement? ;)
  16. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I am notoriously ...lethargic...? I will get this done. I am going to do a simpler version as displayed in the beginning. I have a couple more models around the forum, I'm almost afraid you might find them!! :)