Douglas World Cruiser

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Zathros, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Started doing the wings. This is the first shot at them. I realized I forgot to make the ailerons positionable, so I had to go back. It was only 5 minutes of work at this stage. The wings demand some forethought, as they fold back for transportation, and I am considering making this model rather accurate, as opposed to a shell with graphics printed on, though that will be necessary, though, it might now. I am building two versions of this, More on that later.

Attached Files:

• R6.jpg
      R6.jpg
      File size:
      84.4 KB
      Views:
    • R6a.jpg
      R6a.jpg
      File size:
      102.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

A little more progress. It turns out the top wings have ailerons too, at least 20 minutes to fix those, oh well!

Attached Files:

• R7.jpg
      R7.jpg
      File size:
      33.9 KB
      Views:
    • R7a.jpg
      R7a.jpg
      File size:
      41.5 KB
      Views:
  3. anthony344

anthony344 Member

Great progress john :cool: , this is what calms me the most every time i see someone designing an Aircraft it always get me going.

I just got half way on my R/C Top Flite Spitfire MK.IX but there's alot of bugs to fix.At lease i know what i'm doing when it comes to building & fixing weight problems & balance problems.Been flying for the past 6 years in R/C.:mrgreen:
  4. Zathros

Zathros Guest

That is so cool! I did not know you into R/C. I was a very long time ago. Now with all the Micro controllers, I have to learn all over again!

I would like to make a R/C Ekranoplan. Based off of this design I am working on. The real one flew at 75 m.p.h., could do 150 foot hops, all on 63 h.p.! It flew in ground effect for 10 years year round, on the Volga River.

[​IMG]
  5. anthony344

anthony344 Member

Nice, if you need any help in controllers , brushless motors that you are unaware of. Just message me & i'll help what ever info you need.I'm big in that sort of line.

I even fix brush & Brushless motors that have burnt out.:mrgreen:

I don't won't to hijack this thread or go off topic here , i just want to show a little pics of my 63' wingspan spitfire where i'm up to. I have not started on the fuse just yet , i'm doing calculation on moving the airtanks for balance issue on this particular kit that has problem with.

Attached Files:

6. bf109

bf109 Member

you got any time left then zathros :)
  7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

That really funny! For some odd reason, I have found myself with much more time!! It's a good thing, as usually, you get less time as you get older.

I had some trouble with ailerons on these models, but I decided that it would be worthwhile, they added around 5 minutes work. That's time I'll never get back, but will be appreciated. On these forums, generally speaking, we deal with people who are (usually) of exceptional intelligence and knowledge. Give and take, ask and answer. These are good things. They should be encouraged, not stifled.

When it's not fun anymore, then it's time to move on. I almost left this hobby then realized it wasn't the hobby.

I am so happy with the ways things have been going lately. I feel focused. My passion for this Hobby could not be taken away by anybody. That is a sign of weak character. Anyone's passion can be covered, but the light shines just as bright underneath.

ZEALOT is the place to be. No cliques. No picking on anybody and no favoritism. Just good sharing and caring. Ekuth has done a fantastic job putting this house in order. With it's archival database, there is NO forum that an match it.

With all the good people who are already members, and the new ones joining, the growth speaks for itself.

I have that feeling of just having taken a nice long shower of raking muck.

No more muck raking for me. I've had enough of that.

Recently, a "Person" in a forum reported that he had a flight schedule of "80 to 90" hours a week. That is a very odd statement. He is either lying, or exaggerating because commercial pilots can't fly more than 100 hours a month? There's paperwork, and flight planning, that's part of the job.

Sometimes people try and make out as if what they do is the hardest occupation in the world, and that they should be worshiped for it.

I guess my point is that paper modeling is paper modeling. Sometimes, there is a hard learning curve. Some people can't do it' Some people can't design but are among the finest builders of models in the world. Everyone has their place. This hobby should be fun. If your so stressed out about it, that you cannot tolerate making a post or having someone ask a question, then don't do it. Or, as I saw one guy do, I forget his name, he made one of the most fantastic tank models I had ever seen. He would post a picture, that was it. No comments, no responses to adulation, nothing. I don't know how it all ended because with out the human element, it was just a series of boring pictures.

I hope to try and help anyone on this forum to the best of my ability. I have made mistakes here, and I continue to try to learn from them. That's the best I can do, and the most I can offer.

Ekuth runs this forum, and his word is final. I just would like to make that clear to some outsiders.

I am going to struggle to make an historically accurate model. Anyone with suggestions is encouraged to post them.
  8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

You're not hijacking, I asked you, and I Thank You for your answer. I admire that you can fix these motors. I tried rewinding armatures "back in the day". It is quite amazing how you can change the characteristics of these engines.

The biggest plane I made had a 48" wingspan. I think it was more stressful flying that plane than getting into the Piper Warrior I used to fly. I always found flying to be relaxing. When flying isn't relaxing, and becomes stressful, then it's time to stop. Whether a private pilot, or commercial, you become a danger to yourself and others. :)
  9. anthony344

anthony344 Member

It's funny sometime i go crazy buying these motor & they just sitting there at my shelf collection dust but at least i know that i won't run out of these brushless motors or glow engines & gas engines for a while.:mrgreen:

But as for the burnt out motors that i fix it just like brand new that came right out of the box. Some element copper wire can be tricky to wind , some can be from 150 wind to 500 wind or more but it depends in the motor rpm & torque.after pulling a part the motor i count how many winds it has & check the thickness of the element then rewind it back the same way.

I have not been in a plane only a heli twice that's about it.
  10. bf109

bf109 Member

haha i knew you're going to say something like that sign1

ps: the pilot stuff i'm going to stay out of and keep neuteral
  11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

You didn't know I was a pilot? Oh yeah, I flown all over the place! Flying is a wonderful thing, but far too expensive. I got to fly for free because I managed a flight school, and worked on aircraft as an apprentice to the owner who was an A&P, and an A.I.. It's nice to fly, it's even nicer to have worked on the planes you fly! :thumb:

There is no neutrality because there is no problem. :p

You must be really tired. When My son was born, I don't think we slept more than 2 hrs. straight for at least 2 months! :)
  12. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I had to redo the wings. I could not figure now they could fold back without crunching the trailing edges. I found some ancient fuzzy pictures and it turns out there is a section that removes that allows for the wings the fold back. I think I will make a folding wing back option * (FWBO) :). It's not that big of a deal to have pages with extra parts to allow someone to take the model to another level if you want to. You have to do it at the design stage though, so at this point, I mine as well go for it! Oh, I was surprised to find the bottom wing has no ailerons!! Who knew? This plane must have been quite a pig, as far as handling went!

Attached Files:

• R8.jpg
      R8.jpg
      File size:
      99.1 KB
      Views:
    • R8a.jpg
      R8a.jpg
      File size:
      75.9 KB
      Views:
  13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Working on Rudder and tales. Starting to compensate for paper thickness. Starting to experiment with textures. :)

Attached Files:

• R9.jpg
      R9.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
    • R9a.jpg
      R9a.jpg
      File size:
      34.4 KB
      Views:
  14. bf109

bf109 Member

thats looking awesome ! and great to see the design process.

ps : me tired ? people come up to me asking me for autographs, because they think i'm one of the zombies from the walking dead :)
  15. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Reknown Member, Artist Extroadnaire

Wow....it didn't take you 6 months?!? ;)
  16. Zathros

Zathros Guest

If you are referring to the T.V. series, "The Walking Dead", it is one of my favorite series!! You're famous now!! Don't bite anyone! :)
  17. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Actually, I started it over a year ago, before I ever had heard of the plane. I'm just posting all the pics sequentially now to make me look good and so that some people will know that not only do I know what I am write about, but I write about what I know about! Of course, going back in time and avoiding the space time conundrums had unintentional side effects, but I dare not go back and try to change anything, as it all worked out well, and the plane does seem to be coming along. I hope it's buildable!! Which is why I have great respect for your work ARMORMAN. The amount of sharing that you do. I guess that is one of the most important part of the give and take of a forum. It is the sharing. I remember reading this somewhere: He that ruleth over men must be just........... it goes on. Of course, ruling is a little over the top as far as expressions go in relation to this forum, also this forum seems to run itself. It's the members. :)

In all honesty, I was amazed to see that a beastly craft like this did not have ailerons on the top and bottom wings. With a top speed of 104 m.p.h., it didn't need flaps. Of course, it was 1924, and within a couple of years, planes progressed immensely, even more than this was as an improvement over the Wright Bros. plane. The really scarey thing is the way the frame is bolted together in so many sections. These guys really had a lot of faith in their nuts and bolts, ( there's an obvious joke in there!!) :)
  18. Zathros

Zathros Guest

It doesn't see like much was done,but I worked on this a long time, even though it doesn't look like it! :)

p.s. Comments are welcome!:thumb:

Attached Files:

19. niebla de fuego

niebla de fuego Member

With all those ribs on the upper wing the 3-D model starts to look incredibly detailed. :)
  20. Zathros

Zathros Guest

The ribs were spaced 12" apart on center in the real plane! That is crazy! A lot of the frame was bolted together and this must have made the plane's frame have had quite en "elastic" feel to it. :)