Douglas World Cruiser

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Zathros, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Over at Papermodelers.com, a lot of people, including me, have been interested in the "Butt Ugly" plane. It's something I wish I could have flown and has great historic significance, the Douglas Air Cruiser. I am experiencing insomnia, so in the wee hours of the morning, I started working of the fuselage. You all are motivating me with the work you do. I am going to start this hear, maybe get it far enough so if anyone wanted,they could take it to the level they want. All the wings, fuselage, etc, will be made, and unfolded. I wonder if anyone would be interested on how I am making this. I am not sure if we have many Rhino users. :)

Attached Files:

2. lehcyfer

lehcyfer Member

I'll be watching with interest. If you can, definitely post some more about creating a model in Rhino.
  3. cardist

cardist New Member

Hi Zathros,

I seen this one over at PM.com and followed it here. I second all that's been said about the design of card models, in particular, aircraft. I love what you are doing here by pushing the design envelop (is that a pun?) and forcing the production of more realistically designed models. Horizontal stringers just do not look right with ugly black vertical joins through them. Hurrah! at last someone who is listening. I for one will be following with great interest.

All the best and happy modelling.

Bernie
  4. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Geez, I am such a fan of your work! Talk about pressure! :)
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Active Member

looking great zathros! keep em coming :)
  6. ssmeier

ssmeier New Member

7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Thanks for the posts SSMEIER, I have those pics, and far more detailed ones. I probably have some of the most detailed plans I've ever seen of this plane. Feel free to post more if you come across them. You never know! :)

I will be starting this soon, with a tutorial. The tutorial is for your edification and the resulting model I make will be mine. If you wish to make one, do that, but do not base it off of any drawings I post here. The drawings I post here will also be of my own creation.

I would suggest that anyone following find a good drawing, that has formers, and transfer the techniques I show you to the model you have. Questions about different designs and their different problems will be answered, if I have the answer. :)
  8. niebla de fuego

niebla de fuego Member

I've read recently about the history of the Douglas company, and I was also wondering if a model of this specific type was available.

Is good to see it is being designed under your able hands :)
  9. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I don't know about able, but I will give it a shot. My benefactor has recently given me much detailed information to work from. :)
  10. valmy33

valmy33 Member

11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I built the Supermarine about 3 years ago, along with the Lotus Europa from that website. Excellent models. My son still runs around with the Supermarine. I'd like to build the Curtiss Bi-Plane someday, it's on my list. The models on that site are quite excellent! thanks for bring up that site, while it's been around for a while, newer people may not know about it. :)
  12. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I have started working on this plane today. The above pictures were just an exercise. This is the beginning of the real thing. I was going to try and do a Rhino tutorial on this but it is far too difficult, because I a not sure how I am going to do this in the end. I am building up the the model so I can make an accurate build up of the fuselage. A lot of what is being show does not need to be in the final model, but helps "get it right".

I may show some basic techniques, but it is easier for someone that has Rhino to start a project, and ask questions, than go the other route.

So, this is some basic framing. Just explaining this step by step would take way too many posts! :)

Attached Files:

• R1.jpg
      R1.jpg
      File size:
      101.4 KB
      Views:
  13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Little update today.

Attached Files:

• R2.jpg
      R2.jpg
      File size:
      115.6 KB
      Views:
    • R3.jpg
      R3.jpg
      File size:
      35.3 KB
      Views:
  14. niebla de fuego

niebla de fuego Member

This is getting very interesting.

And looks like it will not be easy! :eek:
  15. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Well, I'm going this route to leave some options open. This will also allow me to get the shape right. Time will tell! :)
  16. Zathros

Zathros Guest

This will be the frame section in the model. I may make a half model, showing all the interior tubing and the fuel tanks, etc. We'll see.:mrgreen:

Attached Files:

17. Swampfoxx

Swampfoxx Member

I just came across this thread. This is something I've always wanted to know more about and will be checking in to see how card models are designed.

Pictures are worth a couple of thousand words, so if you don't feel like adding too many words, that's fine with me.

Swampfox
  18. Zathros

Zathros Guest

A couple of feet forward, usually followed by some backwards!
    Swampfox, Feel free to ask questions. I use Rhino3D, and that kind of limits what I know how to do. :)

Attached Files:

• R5.jpg
      R5.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    • R5a.jpg
      R5a.jpg
      File size:
      40.7 KB
      Views:
  19. inky