Doubling the size of a PDF printout?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by adensley, Apr 25, 2004.

1. adensley

adensley Member

Is their any easy, straightforward way to do this?
    I am building a 1/96th scale Saturn 1B (for the second time with a lot of extra detailing) and wish to take it up to 1/48th scale in the future.

Nothing fancy, I just want to do the basic shapes in twice size so they will print out in 1/48th and then detail to taste.

Cheers for any help from an Aussie in the Middle East.

2. I've been looking into doing Digital Navy's Arizona in 1/144th scale instead of the 1/250th that Roman designed it in. Easier to manipulate for my fingers. Basically I found that if you cut and paste various parts into another application (I initially started out C&P into word) and then resized by 173%. For adding additional detail I would of couse assume that you would have to go into Photoshop or PaintPro or any similiar graphics program.
  3. Darwin

Darwin Member

The only "straightforward" method I know is to print out from Adobe a paper size with dimensions twice that of the original and then select the print-to-page option. This, sadly, is out of the question for the majority of us poor mortals, being stuck with printers capable of no more than a 9-inch width. There are several workarounds, depending on the image processing/drawing programs you may have installed on your computer. With JASC PSP 7, the method I used was to open up the original file with Adobe reader, and use the magnifier tool to scale up (or down) the image to the size I desired (to double the size, 200%), then use the screen capture tool of PSP 7 to cut-and-paste sections of the Adobe Reader image into PSP 7. Scaling up, this usually resulted in a number of PSP 7 files that then need to be joined back together into images of the individual pages. You now have a raster electronic file of the scale you want but, unfortunately, can't be printed out on your bitsy little printer. The next step is to determine the resolution of the raster images and create several new pages with the same resolution, then cut-and-paste the individual parts from the unprintable-size file to the printable page images. This almost always results in having to cut the larger parts into chunks small enough to fit within the margins of the printable-size pages. If you have an image processing program capable of importing pdf files (Photoshop 7, for example), the front end of the process is a lot simpler. Unless you have a vector-based program (Corel Draw 9 or equivalent), use the image resolution to do your scaling for you. Coose the final resolution you want to print the files. Most of my work, I use 150 dpi as a compromise between sharpness of the detail of the printed image and ability of my candy-assed computer to handle large image sizes. Then ratio the image resoultion of the imported pdf image to the desired final resolution. For your example, to double the size, set the resolution of the imported image to 300 dpi. This brings you to the point of the PSP 7 discussion earlier in this diatribe where you have an image too large to print. Create new image pages of the same resolution but small enough to print, cut and paste, yadda yadda yadda. In vector based programs, just use the magnifier tool to change your scale....but you still gotta go through the yadda yadda yadda stuff. In short, unless you have a large, industrial sized printer, there is no straightforward way of increasing size of the model. Reducing, of course, is much easier, since the ability of your printer to handle the image size is no longer in the equation. Hope this helps....and it just begins to scratch the surface of the issue. There is meat here for a tutorial article...anyone listening out there?
  4. rowiac

rowiac Member

Acrobat 6 has the ability to save the pages as JPG, among other formats. I have the Pro version; I assume the reader is the same. All you have to do is go to File/Save As... and then select JPEG as the file format. When you do this, it will save all of the pages as separate JPG files.

This might be an easier way to get the images out of the PDF if you don't have an image editor than can read them. Then you could use Darwin's methods for resizing from that point.

5. Gecko23

Gecko23 Member

Some printers will do large-scale page images by tiling them across several sheets. When you got o print, check your printer setup, it might be buried in there somewhere.

Otherwise the only real option is to extract the images to another format, and use an image editor/manipulator to rescale it. (Photoshop, the Gimp, xnView, etc.)
  6. adensley

adensley Member

Thanks guys. The HP 3650 I just got allows you to do a 2 by 2 poster print which I thought would double the size, but the scaling is not exact.

From reading some reviews, it appears that Acrobat 5 can save out images as JPEG's, so that may be a route to take.

Cheers for all the help!

7. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

To enlarge the PDF files, you
    will need a product called "ghostview" and
    "ghostscript", do a search for them, they are free
    downloads from the source. What you will need to do
    is install the software, and then add a postscript
    printer driver to your computer. You don't have to
    really have the printer, just tell the printer to
    to a file. I use a hp colorlaserjet 8500 ps. anyway
    when you "print" to this printer, you will capture the

output to the printer to a file, eg,, you then
    open with ghostscript.

Ghostscript has a "convert" function that will allow
    you to convert the pdf file, to other formats. In
    case you will want to convert each page of the pdf
    into seperate jpg or bmp files. This is exactly how I
    made the 1/48 saturn in the first place. I then
    opened the
    the jpg image in Paint Shop Pro, enlarged by 200%, and
    carefully sliced it up to fit on 8.5x11 sheets.

Jonathan Leslie
  8. Maurice

Maurice Member

Ghostscript and Ghostview may be obtained through

They will open an unlocked .pdf directly.
    If the conversion is made at 600dpi the enlargement can be done by resetting the dpi to300 in your graphics programme.
    This image can then be split into four or the individual parts can be copied, pasted and rearranged onto new sheets.

The pom that got away, Adelaide
  9. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

I managed to print the Yamato by DN out in 13x19 inch paper, scaled to fit the paper. There was no distortion is length versus width as far as I could see and it was printed out at 169% so its about 1/144 scale at the doing some test building and finishing college at the moment, most trouble Ive faced is finding good 1.7mm cardstock that will allow me to build it.

My Girlfriend wasnt impressed when I laid out the maindeck pages, its bigggggg....The vector PDF Printing quality was better than anything else so its kept a good quality kit

John John