Double track Bridge

wiskrbiscu

Well I decided that a double track main was in order for the un-named railroad and I've hit a snag. I need a bridge to span a scale 53' (4in) with the ability to run under it also. Now I can lengthen the span another 2 in but would like to leave as is. I've searched the world over to no avail on locating a suitable double track bridge. I wiould like to do a plate girder across this span so I don't have to increase the incline anymore. So do I get 2 bridges and cut, past,glue, hammer and bend them together. Or does someone know of such a beast already in existance.

Jody :)

roryglasgow

Kitbash! Kitbash! :) I needed two double-track bridges for a layout I built a while back, so I got a friend to cut off parts of two Atlas plate girder bridges and two warren truss bridges. I then glued the pieces together and made two short double-tracked bridges. They looked and worked just fine. I don't have them anymore, unfortunately, or I'd provide you with a picture...

-Rory

wiskrbiscu

I knew it, I knew it. I had 2 bridges in hand yesterday and put them back. Guess this gives me another excuse to visit the hobby store again.

Jody :)

C

Catt

Jody,the ATLAS bridges are 5" long (same as a piece of snaptrack).You could buy just one and split it lengthwise and widen it to suit with sheet styrene.I wopuld suggest at least .040".:D

Drew1125

I'm not sure how far along you are with construction of your layout, but an easy way to build a short bridge of any width, is to simply glue girder sections to the sides of the sub-roadbed. As long as the girders cover the thickness of the plywood, or whatever you're using, with some ballast on top, & the bottom painted black, this will make a convincing, & very sturdy, deck girder span. Also keep in mind that HO bridge components can work just fine in N scale.
Good Luck!

roryglasgow

Guess what I found! Here is the double-track plate girder bridge. I gave the warren truss bridge to my 3-year-old son, who used it as a turntable...to DEATH. I had a friend use his table saw to cut the two pieces so that they would be straight. I took one of the side plates and glued it to the bottom to secure the two pieces together.

-Rory

Attachments

• 2trackbridge.gif
    2trackbridge.gif
    15.8 KB · Views: 182

wiskrbiscu

Rory

Exactly what I need. Matter of fact I placed 2 on order today (dang if someone didn't buy those at the hobby store) so now I have to wait, but I'm working the rest of the main lines. All pinned right now. Going to wait until all the track work is bug free, then I'm nuts with the glue :D. The bridge looks fairly easy to do, I set my mains at 1 1/4" centers so I'll just span the gap I have with flex track and ensure we have no sideswiping going on. Don't think I'll have any, my curves are between 16 and 18. I'll guess I'll have to watch the first for go arounds.

Jody :D

wiskrbiscu

Well, I finally got my bridges in and went to the hobby store at lunch (shhh don't tell the boss) picked up some .040" styrene and found a nifty soldering iron/hot tip cutter combo so tonight I'll be bashing a bridge together. I'll just use one bridge and see what happens. I did get some bridge track from micro engineering. Good looking stuff and it come with longer ties and the gaurd rails too.

Jody :D

Bill Pontin

Jody you have probably completed your double bridge by now. Like Rory, I too had to make up one from two Atlas beam and plate girder bridges. Came out better than I expected and with the correct distance between lines. Only problem with Atlas products is that they leave off all the inside details. Fixed that minor detail with carfully cut pieces of styrene. I also ballastered my deck.

Bill;)

wiskrbiscu

Bill

I plan on doing the same thing eventually. i did get it bashed together and it looks like it'll work out pretty good. i intend to ballast it too. All the plate girders I grew up around were that way and It looks good on a small bridge. As for getting it detailed out that will come as soon as I determine that my layout runs smooth. It's my first kitbash so I want to do some research and maybe go and take some digitals next time I'm up home.

Jody