Double Slip, Double Crossover or 2 LH/RH Switches?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by TruckLover, Aug 26, 2006.

1. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

What would recomend me putting in to switch between the 2 mainlines on my layout? I only have about 14" available.
  2. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hey Josh,
    A double crossover, for what it's worth, will allow you to continuous run one loco on
    all track on both loops without throwing any switches. (Assuming you have two loops,
    of course.)
  3. TruckLover

Hi Cid :wave:,

I don't have 2 loops. My layout is pretty much a switching layout with 2 mainlines.
  4. viperman

viperman Active Member

After just going through all your pics in the other thread, I would actually consider a double crossover too (looks like an x)
  5. TruckLover

Is there any way to shorten a double switch from 19" to 14"?
  6. interurban

interurban Active Member

Why Josh?

Post a picture where it will fit.
    I think you would just take some of the track out to fit it in.
  7. TruckLover

Ok here is a picture of where it will go. There are switches on either side (Blue lines coming off mainlines).

I might be able to move both switches back an inch or so but I think that I will still have to shorten the ends of the double crossover a little.

Attached Files:

8. interurban

interurban Active Member

You should be able to take a bit off the the switches also, I have done that on the traction line more than once.
    Just cut a bit off the road bed and rail where you can with your dremal tool and then make allowances for the slide connectors.
  9. TruckLover

O ya, I forgot I could do that too. I have done that many time with the flextrack.

Thanks Chris :thumb:
  10. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

double slips are for tight spaces but would avoid them if possable as they can be a double barrled trouble maker
  11. interurban

interurban Active Member

:D :rolleyes: I here you Jim , had my share of blips with them.
    But Josh is tight for room, I hope he posts a speed restriction for a while in that areasign1