Double oval subway layout

patgin

Apr 5, 2006
Hi,

I will built a NYC subway layout and I would like to have a double oval to make a double track line but each track goes to the opposite direction. Track need to be closer to the other as much as possible (like the elevated track in NYC). My idea is to see an elevated track and buildings from one side and to see an underground subway station from the other side. So one half of the layout will be on elevated track and will enter a tunnel in the center of the layout to go to the undergroung station (she will be at the same level as the elevated track, it's just a 2 in 1 layout) and finaly exit the tunnel to continue to the elevated track.
I hope you understand, this is a plan to help you understand:

------------------------------------------------------------------
tunnel section l ============subway station============ l
l ll ==========subway station========== ll l
l ll ll ll ll l
l ll ll ll ll l
-----tunnel exit----l ll ll ------------------wall------------------------- ll ll ltunnel enter
l ll ll ll ll l
eleveted section l ll ll city city ll ll l
l ll ============================= ll l
l ================================= l
l---------------------------------------------------------------l

The layout will be 4X8 but could be expanded to 5X8 if neccessary.My question is, what should be the best, curved and straight tracks or all flex track? In both case, how many of each will I need to buy? I want the track at 2-3 inches form the edge of the layout.
2 Life-like proto 1000 R17 4-car subway will operate on this .

What do you think of that? I need to know before starting to build.
Thanks to everyone.
Patrick

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hi Patrick,

Try using Microsoft Paint to draw up a rough sketch of your plan.. It will work better than keyboard characters. Make the drawing a 640x480 jpg, save it and attach it to your next post.

Good luck!

P.S. sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to your PM.

patgin

Apr 5, 2006
HI,

You're right. So this is a plan that I draw...important think to know is that the track (elevated or underground ) will always be on the same level/height.

Attachments

• SUBWAYLAYOUT2.jpg
    SUBWAYLAYOUT2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 224

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Flex track is cheaper, and will allow you to create a tight clearance if you want (although not really recommended for reliable operation).

Atlas also makes sectional track, with 18" and 22" radius curves that would make it easy to do the double oval you want on a 4x8 table.

Andrew

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Actually, traction equipment is generally capable of much tighter turning radii than conventional model railroad equipment. I'm not sure how tight of curves that subway car models can take, but models of the El and streetcar layouts sometimes have curves as tight as 6-8" radius in HO scale. For an articulated car I suspect that curves would have to be broader, more like 12-15" radius. However, you can't get commercial track in that radius, so flex track is the way to go.

It sounds like you do have the right idea, though: insted of resorting to extreme grades to move the track up and down on a flat plane, you simply drop the table so half the train is "el" and half is subway!

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hi Patrick,

Yep, that should work quite well.

As a matter of fact, that is exactly what the IRT company did on the 1/9 line on the West Side of Manhattan-- The 1/9 line is below ground as it goes north, until it hit the valley at 120th street.. There, the track remains level but goes above ground onto a trestle, cross the valley, then ducks back under ground at 136th street. Very neat!

Check out the photos at http://www.nycsubway.org :

img_32460.jpg

Notice how the subway line emerges from under Broadway, crosses the valley, then ducks back underground, all the while maintaining perfectly flat level grade. Pretty neat.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
I'd recommend going with flex track. If you have the budget...I'd try to get some smaller rail than normal...something like code 55 which I think micro engineering makes...but you'd have to make sure it's compatible with your trains (some older model trains like AHM hudsons and bachmann John Bulls don't tolerate code 83 turnouts very well)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Patrick: to add to the fun, Peco make the imsulating chairs that go under the 3rd rail; the also make a smaller sized rail that fits in them. However, this is all hard to find in the USA.
You could make do with small nails and small rail soldered to them.
There is also a kit that makes a reasonable elevated structure.

patgin

Apr 5, 2006
Thanks to everyone,I will now build the support...I will have to choose between 4x8 or 5x8....probably 5x8...wealways need more placec....

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
The New York City subway (NYCTA) and Long Island Railroad (LIRR) third rail brackets for HO Scale are available from Image Replicas: http://www.imagesreplicas.com/accessories.htm

The NYCTA and LIRR 3rd rail system uses a truck-mounted pickup shoe that slides over the top of the 3rd rail.

If you want to model the Metro North commuter railroad (another commuter system ran by the MTA), they use a different 3rd-rail system where the pickup shoe slides under the bottom of the 3rd rail. These are available from Model Memories: http://www.info-4u.com/modelmemories/thirdpic.htm

These are all decorative, of course... The models like the LifeLike R17 Redbirds still uses the two running rails on regular HO track for power. The 3rd rail is just there for looks.

Hope this helps!

Me, I'm exploring the possibility of kitbashing a few HO-scale P32AC-DM locomotives now that I have found a place that sells the Athearn AMD103 Genesis locos for cheap ($23 for a powered AMD103 at Toy Train Heaven). Amtrak, Metro North, and the Connecticut DOT all own P32AC-DMs and I love the way they look. These use the under-the-3rd-rail pickup system.