Double Crossover

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by rockislandmike, Feb 22, 2002.

1. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

I was hoping to add a couple of double crossovers into my layout this summer, but, upon checking out the price ($57US for a Code 100 Shinohara), I think I might alter my design slightly.

Has anyone actually used doublecrossovers in their layout???
  2. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Once, tore it out after a week or so. It has to be flawless or it causes a lot of derailments. Course they may make em' better than they did a few years ago.
  3. BDC

BDC Member

Yes, but mine is a Kato Unitrak kind, so this probably won't help. Although double X-overs are very nice, especially with switching operations. The prices for other brands that I've looked at are around $50-70 as well.
  4. Bob Collins

Bob Collins Active Member

I have two of them (code 83) that I made with Atlas # 6 switches and 30 degree crossovers and they seem to work just fine.

5. RI541

RI541 Member

I made one out of Peco switch's a few years ago and soldered it together it worked good at low speeds, medium weren't bad with a short train under ten cars, making sure everything lines up is the hardest part it took me awhile to get it right thats why I soldered everything together.I forget which cross over I used but it was an Atlas.

6. justind

justind Member

What exactly do you mean by a double X-over, what are they?

7. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

Allows trains on either of two doubletracks to access the other one, over a very short distance.

Attached Files:

8. justind

justind Member

Ok, thanks...I don't know what I was thinking, I should have known that. :rolleyes: