Dornier Do-335

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by eric_son, Nov 22, 2007.

1. eric_son

eric_son Member

A couple of days ago, I visited DeWayne's site again, this time to get Marek's Dornier Do-335 'Pfeil' model.

Unfortunately, I ran short of card stock and couldn't print out the whole thing. I also ran out of spray adhesive for laminating the formers on thicker cardboard. I'll have to halt the assembly line and restock on supplies. :cry:

Anyway, the kit comes in 16 pages:
    • 1 cover page
    • 2 pages that contain a brief history of the Pfeil's development.
    • 11 pages comprise the parts of the model
    • 2 pages for build instructions

The model is 1:33 scale.

I can't wait to get the supplies so I can start printing and working on this. :mrgreen:
  2. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Have you seen the Gomix Do 335 kit? I have it and am wondering which of the two is better. Guess I will trod on over to DeWayne's site.

In either event, I just purchased Gremir's Go-329 model which features a beautifully detailed MB-603 engine to stuff into my Gomix model (or the Marek version, whichever looks best).

Thanks for the tip off!
  3. eric_son

eric_son Member

No, unfortunately I haven't seen the Gomix version. I'd love to though... Does Gomix offer digital versions of their kits? I'm a bit hesitant to purchase stuff that can't be transmitted electronically (e.g. CD or printed).

Anyway, the Marek version looks moderately detailed, save for the cockpit. The cockpit is sparse. It only includes the seat, flight stick and a printed instrument panel.

RE: Gremir's ME-329
    Yeah! I've been meaning to get that too. Looks very nice! :cool:
  4. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Rafal Ciesielski certainly is doing a good job of designing the German piston engines from WW2 - I hope the trend continues and we start seeing a lot more detailed engines for WW2 planes in the future ;)

Look forward to seeing this build. I've got the JU88/B and the ME109Z from Marek - they are both somewhere in my growing build list. They both look like nice models - I'm sure the 'Anteater' will be as well ;)
  5. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Marek Do-335

Do you have a url for Dewayne's site?
    Happy TDay! I'm gonna work on a sub model.
  6. eric_son

eric_son Member

Here's the link to DeWayne's site:
  7. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Dewayne's site

Many thanks. Enjoy the day off and spill some glue on card!
  8. eric_son

eric_son Member

I wish I could. :) But Thanksgiving day is not celebrated in the Philippines. (I wish it was though....) Hehehe.
  9. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Digital vs printed versions of kit

10. eric_son

eric_son Member

Actually, my hesitation stems more from the lengthy waiting time and also from the reliability of our local postal service.
  11. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Aha! I failed to note your location. Q.C., Quezon City, I presume. During my USAF years, I never had the pleasure of visiting the Phillipines. I understand your reluctance to purchase items by post if that is unreliable. I'll post some pictures of my Do-335 build as I am all fired up to do that next.

I'll celebrate Thanksgiving for the both of us. Hope you like turkey and pumpkin pie!

Sincere regards
  12. eric_son

eric_son Member

Yep. Quezon City.

I'm also itching to start my Do335 model. Can't wait to get out of office so I can buy my card stock and start building. :D

And yeah, I like turkey. I haven't tried pumpkin pie though.
  13. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I live for Thanksgiving and the pumpkin pie which I make myself. There are dozens of different ways to make it and I tried a new one for the feast tomorrow. You must have pumpkin in the Phillipines. I lived in Korea for several years and it was a staple crop in that country. It's worth a try for sure. If nothing else, the Canon Japan site has a cute pumpkin you can download and print.

Ain't the Internet a wonderful thing? Here we are 9,000 miles apart enjoying a near real-time conversation.
  14. eric_son

eric_son Member

I've had almost ZERO progress over the weekend.:cry:

I started by making the front engine cowling. All was well until I hit a brick wall -- from the assembly diagram, I don't see anything that resembles a propeller shaft. Dang! Does this mean that I'll be getting a non-spinning propeller when I finish this build? :confused:

Anyway, I'm going to proceed very slowly. I'll try to assemble all the sub-parts first before I start putting them together. Once I see that there really is no provision for having a spinning prop, I'm going to start drilling some holes and jerry rig a propeller shaft.
  15. eric_son

eric_son Member

Still dragging my feet.

The photo above shows all the components that comprise the front engine and the prop spinner. No spinner shaft. Also, following the cut-lines in the diagrams, I ended up with huge holes in the center of the spinner formers.

Dang! I don't think there are any provisions for making the propellers spin.
    Again, I had to stop ... and think how to modify this to be able to add a spinner shaft.

Currently, I'm thinking of implementing a spinner shaft design similar to the models by Dr. Zarkov. For that I'll have to plug the big hole in the propeller cone former, then drill a smaller hole on the plug then stick in a bamboo toothpick. I will create a cylinder which will fit in the huge hole in the middle engine assembly. The spinner shaft will run into the cylinder. I hope this will work...

Dry fitting. :) No spinner shaft yet.
  16. eric_son

eric_son Member

Last night, I started work on try to make the propeller shaft spin instead of staying permanently glued in place.

First, for the spinner, I decided to roll two strips of cardboard into a cylinder. One will be permanently glued to a toothpick. The other will not.. hehe. Then I stick a disc at the end of the toothpick.

Propeller assembly done!

After the glue dried, I immediately switched on the electric fan to test the propeller. Yeah! It works. The propeller spins properly.

Before sleeping, I mounted the propeller assembly inside the engine cowling.

With the propeller spinner problem solved, I can finally continue building the rest of the fuselage. :mrgreen:

NULLMOON Member

i started but scrapped this model its a nice size but watch out for the cockpit area the fit can difficult especilly if you are building the gear down version the gear tray goes right under the cockpit i put a wafer of card in-between and glued the two together some of the cockpit area formers need a little adaptation too..just a heads up good luck:thumb:
  18. eric_son

eric_son Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind. :)
    This is going to be the third Marek-designed model for me. (The first being his He162 and Ho229.)
  19. eric_son

eric_son Member

Disaster! :curse:

I was supposed to complete the second segment of the fuselage when I hit a brick wall. I glued/assembled the parts for the gun portion incorrectly. Because of that, I have to re-print a new page (page 6).
  20. tino

tino Member