Doodlebug prototype question...

Iron Goat

I know the Walthers DB is advertised as 60' long (HO scale feet), and I think I rememeber the Bachmann Spectrum saying the same thing.... I just received my new DB in the mail, and as it looked longer than "that", I measured it, and it is 70' in length. Is that "prototypical" ? I want to model it after #31 on the Montana Western Railway, that was a feeder line for the GN. The length shown on the MW's Doodlebug's site shows a 60' length... has anyone "cut down" their Spectrum DB to 60 scale feet ? I would appreciate any and all feedback.

HTML:
http://www.asme.org/history/brochure/H229.pdf

Thanks again.... Bob :confused:

jwmurrayjr

Hi Bob,

Here's a recent thread on Doodlebugs that may be of interest:

http://www.railroadforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5575

I just ordered the 60' Walthers DB (Couldn't resist the price!.) Apparently the Bachmann is about 10' longer. The Walthers is available at TrainWorld for $21.99 as you may know.

Seem like there was a topic about cutting down a DB here too. You might search on doodlebug.

Keep us posted,

Iron Goat

Thanks, Jim.... That was a neat thread you pointed out. Yeah, I see that there is a 10 ft. difference in the Spectrum vs: the Walthers DB, but the Walthers is a bi-directional car while the 70' Spectrum has a cab on one end only ( as does my prototype model, as you can see from the "asme" site in my previous posting. So it looks like I may have to cut it down ten feet to stay prototypical with MW's #31.

Many thanks for the info.... Bob

Woodie

I have two Bachmann Doodlebugs which I bashed into a VR DERM. (well, the livery anyway).

How did they operate the single cabbed doodlebugs? Turn them at their destination? Did they have "trailers" on the non-driving end?

I also found this. how to cut down a Doodlebug into a VR DERM (Deisel Electric Rail Motor). click here

And a VR Derm. Note the similarities, right down to the "arched" window.
JBDerm2.jpg

And a history of the Australian (Victorian Raliways) DERM here

Enjoy. :thumb:

Iron Goat

That's a good looking DB, Woodie. The results that I have "unearthed" so far does not say how they turned them, but the car only had controls on the lead end, so there would be no other way other than a "wye" or a turntable to set them up for the return run.

Check out the site on my first post on this thread, and the ASME site will give you a lot more detail (blueprint & photos). Most of the time the Montana Western ran their DB's "solo", but often pulled a baggage car, and second coach, a box car, or a tank car behind it.

I model the GN, and "their feeder" line, the Montana Western... the MW got most of it's motive power and rolling stock from GN, to equipt their tiny 54 miles of track.

Thanks again, Bob :thumb:

Attachments

• 00002264.jpg
    00002264.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 00012070.jpg
    00012070.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 161
  • mw31b_.jpg
    mw31b_.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 161
  • mw31a_.jpg
    mw31a_.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 154
  • mw31c_.jpg
    mw31c_.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 164

Pooh Bah
Since doodlebugs were operating in the steam era, there were still lots of turning facilities at the ends of branchlines. Probably (at least when they were bought) all the other trains on the line were steam.
Any sign of an extra bit of cab at the back?

Iron Goat

No sign of that.... there are no windows, just a door for passing from car to car (when a second coach is in tow. The asme site in my previous reply has photos and line drawing.

thanks.... Bob

pjb

EMC and other "Doodlebugs"

Woodie:
The VR's DERMs is made in 'HO' scale by STEAM ERA MODELS, in your homeland. So why kitbash Bachmanns
to make them?

With repect to the initial question, "Doodlebug" is just a
slang term for the hundreds of models of self propelled
non pure electric rail cars. They were made by probably a
hundred different sources in North America , including
railroads. Some were just steam or internal combustion
powered via various forms of mechanical transmissions.
Some were combination units using the engines to drive
generators that powered electic traction motors.

Today, the demand, where it exists at all for internal
combustion railcars in North America, is largely
confined to multiple unit equipment - such as
Siemans is producing for use in San Diego.
MU equipment, can be operated as single
units ( in most cases) but they are not regarded as "doodlebugs" in that configuration. For that matter
Budd's stainless steel, diesel hydraulic RDCs, and
other streamlined self propelled railcars were not
referred to commonly , as "doodlebugs".
Good-Luck, PJB

Russ Bellinis

The only "doodle bug" that I know of still operating commercially is the "skunk" out of Eureka, Ca. It was converted to diesel from gasoline power, and runs through a clutch and transmission likw a truck I think, but it may be diesel-electric.

Woodie

pjb said:
Woodie:
The VR's DERMs is made in 'HO' scale by STEAM ERA MODELS, in your homeland. So why kitbash Bachmanns
to make them?

Yep. I know, PJB. I have one, still in the box, yet to be put together. Just waiting for my skills to get a bit better before tackleing it. The SEM DERM kit is pretty pricey.

The Bachmann Doodlebugs seem to get dumped onto the Australian market. You can pick them up here, new, for about $25 US.

jwmurrayjr

I just received my Walthers DB from Trainworld yesterday. It looks pretty nice to me, except for the several dozen grab irons that need to be installed. It runs well on DC so I reckon that I'll try to put a decoder in pretty soon.

It will provide a little passenger and freight service under the "High Valley" line name (Pretty original, eh?) with minor modification to the paint, I hope.

Thanks for posting that other interesting info on DBs too. [:)]

jon-monon

Russ Bellinis said:
The only "doodle bug" that I know of still operating commercially is the "skunk" out of Eureka, Ca. It was converted to diesel from gasoline power, and runs through a clutch and transmission likw a truck I think, but it may be diesel-electric.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but are the SRS's converted from old gas electrics (DB's)?