Don't stop the construction!!!!!!!

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
What do you do when the building process ends? Well you just build some more. My track has been laid and while I’m only 20% completed with my scenery I find my self-wanting to lay more track. I guess I am worried I will finish everything someday and come to a big halt. Does anyone else ever feel that way? Building can be so much more fun at times.

My ideas for expansion including adding to the 5x9 base layout, adding a self-section and possibly a third tier. Then to connect it all together so if I want I can run the train on all levels with having to manually move the trains. Can you say HELIX?

My best bet would be to just stop the current layout and move into the third floor of the workshop. After all I have a 40 X 28 area to get creative. I just need another local train friend to put it all together.

[FONT=&quot]So how many of you get just a little bored after all the construction is over?[/FONT]

L

lester perry

Well my layout is basically complete. I am making some changes and there are some small things left to do but it is finished. I have only spent $20 in the last 6 months. So what am I going to do? MAKE IT BIGGER. My layout is about 450 square feet in a building in my back yard. My back yard is about 3 acres in size. Hummm what shall I do? Well I need to take care of some other projects first, but then look out. My plan is to basically double the size it is now and when that is all finished do it again.
Les

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I've never had that problem. About the time I got one portion of the club layout pretty well along, another section next to mine became available. And then there is the On30 module thats awaiting me.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
After reaching a stage of mostly complete I've been trying to squeeze in staging tracks where I can. So far I've found room for two that make operations more interesting! I did flirt with building a middle extention in my "U" shaped layout but thought better of the idea when I considered the clearances for walking around it. I almost got greedy though! :)
Ralph

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
That's a question everyone asks..."When are you going to finish it?" Finish...!!! What would I do for fun afterwards..?? I do plan to have all the basic track down within a year or two, and a good portion of the scenery. But....I'm already modifying the track I've already set down (I neglected to put in passing tracks....:rolleyes:). So...I figure there's a lot of building to do yet...

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
A model railroad is by nature a compromise. If a model railroad is big enough not to be a compromise, it will probably be bigger than one person can handle for maintanence. With that in mind. probably any model railroad will reveal areas for improvement once you start operating. You probably will find that your ability to scratch build models will get better with practice, so you may be wanting to replace earlier efforts with newer better models. In effect there is no reason for a model railroad to ever be done.

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
well i have finished 4 layouts , about 30 to 60 days after there done i scrap them and start over. but now im making modulars, if i get tired of one sean, i will take it out and slid in a different one, store the first one. then i can stick it back in if i want,