Don't see to many of these anymore...

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Conrail, Sep 17, 2005.

  1. Conrail

    Conrail Member

    I was trying to make a nice "Zebra" paint scheme C&O. I'm not to good at the customizing. Wish the decals didn't look like decals but they have been dullcoted so oh well.
  2. dsfraser

    dsfraser Member

    How to avoid that:

    1.) Paint the sucker.

    2.) Shoot it with Glosscote.

    2a.) You might want to brush Glosscote under the area where the decals will go.

    3.) Trim the decals closer than humanly possible with sharp, fine scissors.

    4.) Apply the decals. Use a setting agent such as SolvaSet. Pierce the decals with a pin and let it get underneath. Blot with a clean cotton cloth. (Do NOT use paper towels, Kleenex or toilet paper. The paper fibers wil transfer and make a mess.)

    5.) Brush Glosscote over the decal, pierce it if necessary to allow the lacquer to creep underneath. Blot it well --- with CLOTH.

    6.) Backfill with the same colour you applied originally. Use a very fine brush and paint over the clear decal film.

    7.) Shoot the whole model with Dullcote. The colour areas will merge and there will be no film visible.

    8.) Weather as desired.

    Try it. It works. No more decal silvering.

    Scott Fraser
    Calgary, Alberta
  3. CN1

    CN1 Active Member

    Looks good to me Conrail

    To add to the above post:
    If you use Micromark:
  4. hummerdaves

    hummerdaves Member

    Ahh the decals I have been doing the same trying different ways to apply them.

    I tryied putting them on over a clear base and had the setting solution dissolve?
    and leave a ring around the decal. I continued on the next set of cars I did not
    use a clear base and here is how they look, I am going to apply Dull-cote when I am done with the cars. Hopfully I will be able to remove some of the
    clear decal film.
    Conrail you F unit looks really good, I am hoping to get some done for the Milw Rd soon.


  5. Conrail

    Conrail Member

    I couldn't get the striped decals on the nose for my life so I decided to paint them on. I ordered some stuff to make the decals less stiff and stick better. I have about 10 boxcars to decal so I need to get this worked out. I hope the box cars turn out better. The F unit is just an old Bachman I plan to use as a switcher so it was a "safe" practice target.
  6. Raildog

    Raildog Member

    Believe it or not, but you can use Micro-Sol to remove the decals after dull-Coteing too. Just brush some over the decal and within a minute the Dull-Cote will dissolve and the decal will soften and can be gently scraped off, or you can put on more solution and wipe it off with a dry flat brush.

  7. Conrail

    Conrail Member

    Good to know in case I screw up on of the box cars. I may try the FA again later but I'll have to head over to champs website and pick up some more heralds. The heralds on the F unit now are from a Walthers set and a little bigger than they should be anyhow.

    By the way... I made every single layer of those shingles on the switch tower by hand. Took hours. Yep I'm proud. :D Turned out decent for a 6 buck model. I still have to whip up some windows and a few interior items but it's funny how good you can make something cheap look.

Share This Page