Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Steve...What more can be said that hasn't been said yet..?? I think, maybe...AWESOMER & AWESOMER...!!! FANTASTIC JOB..!!

I buff the windows on the OUTSIDE (with fine steel wool) to prevent that see-through look, and since I put lights in my buildings, it softens the illumination.

Keep up the goodest work..!!

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Steve - great work all round! You could try this: Put a drop of steel gray, black and mebbe silver on a plate and dip the brush in all three. Then use that to 'rim' your windows for an effect with a little variation in it.

Gus - outstanding tip on the steel wool. I've used the dull cote before and man, it stinks! Especially if you're spraying it up into a building's interior. Definately do so in a well-ventilated area! But the steel wool is odorless, a distinct advantage!

Keep up the good work, Steve, I'm really enjoying seeing the progress!

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Naturally, I buff the acetate sheet before cutting out the windows and gluing them into the frames. I also use light difussers so the bulb doesn't stand out as a bright spot inside. Night operations with the buildings lit up brings another dimension to the trains.

I wired up the room lights so I can dim them so the layout illumination stands out and still lets you see the trains.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Kurt...thank you:thumb:...I saw some windows open in many of the prototype pics I've been pouring over and thought it would help it look a little less "generic".

Gus...thank you for the extremely kind words:eek:ops::thumb:. If I would have known about using steel wool, I would have done it that way (and in the future, I will:winker:) however, the open windows won't stand up to that...so I'll take it outside and use the dullcoat.

Galen...Thank you:thumb: and I will try your paint suggestion.:thumb:

I have been really busy with work and the kids starting school, so I haven't gotten a chance to get anything done...hopefully this weekend or during the week.

Take care:wave:

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Steve, I enjoyed your video :thumb:. Moving your camcorder around your layout adds a nice 3D effect you won’t have in still pics.... Oh, I must not forget, greetings to your dad :wave:.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thanks guys!:thumb::thumb:

whatever happened to the other mine?

I thought about canibalizing it....but I think I'll re-paint it and see if i can make it presentable.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
I bought it "as is" from a train show...it was from an estate sale. It was kitbashed from Walthers New River Mine......it needs a lot of work but it should be fun to try and make it look better up close

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Steve:wav: , since I'm dial up i usually don't take the time to view movies posted, just takes forever:frowns: , but i bit the bullet and watched yours:winki: , FANTASTIC JOB!:thumb::thumb::thumb: and your camcorder takes AWESOME quality movies too!:winki::mrgreen:
:bravo: Steve, :bravo: :mrgreen:
:deano: -Deano

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Deano...thank you buddy:thumb:....I have broadband and it still took forever to download:curse:.

I am going to be out of town for about a week so I won't be posting for at least that long.............I think:winker:
I hope everbody has a nice Labor Day weekend....or just a great regular weekend if you don't have a "Labor Day" where you are:winker::thumb:

Take care everybody:wave:

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Finally got to see your video (I'm at work..!!). It changes the whole notion of your layout when it's seen "live", with a greater prespective of the layout as a whole and not just individual scenes which we get when looking only at pictures...
Great job..!! Keep us updated.
Very "professional" video..BTW.

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
Nice job on the video Steve. What kind of program did you use to edit it ? I have a video with a train running I attempted with my digi camera and when I get time and clean up the layout a bit more I'm going to do a good one or at least attempt it. Speaking of which errr ah I didn't see a train in the video:twisted:
So whats next on the agenda? Are you going to be palnting any trees ? Was also thinking , well at least on my layout my tunnel portals are rock just like yours and have been thinking of doing some modifications and making some rickety wood portals , not to hold banks back but just to keep the rocks from falling down onto the tracks , what da you think Steve any thoughts on this subject.
Darn was I thinking out loud again :wave:

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Steve, guess who finally came back to read up some on The Guage! I had a lot of problems logging in when the server first got switched, but seems to be ok now.

All I can say...you have done some great work on the layout since I was here last.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Stephen...thank you!:thumb:
Gus...Glad you liked it!:winker::thumb:
Lynn...I used "Windows Movie Maker" to edit it.......still learning:winker:
To answer your other questions: I do plan on adding trees and I really need to make them while the warm weather holds out. the timber portals I used are the Woodland Scenic ones...I love the look of them, however, I think scratch-building some would be pretty easy and then you can make them exactly the way YOU want them! Great Idea!:winker:

Here's Woodland Scenics' timber (plaster) portal after paint:

photos241.jpg

photos232.jpgcropped.jpg

CNWman...That is too cool!:thumb::mrgreen:...thanks for sharing.
Steven...glad to have you back!...and thank you!:thumb::thumb:

I have not done anything....just got back home a few days ago..........I'll try and get moving again:winker:

Take care:wave: