Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

joesho

Stephen...I have to apologize to you. I saw your thread asking for feedback on the upgrade you made to your website. I meant to reply but it was late and then I did what I do best....I forgot about it! Anyway...you have done a great job on it! it is easier to use and therefore more enjoyable to spend time there (as I have done on many occasions).
A lot of great info there and links to sites of interest....GOOD STUFF!

Gus...Thank you for your kind words and all of the support you have given me over the last year+! I appreciate it:thumby:.
If you click on the thumb-nail of the pic of the box in this post:
http://forum.zealot.com/post436256-975/
you can see all the info you need. I saw it on a shelf and picked it up on sale. If you go to Walthers and click on the manufacturers list, Wheel Works is on it and you can see their stuff (a little pricey at full $).

Deano...Thank you for helping and the well wishes:thumby: :thumby:....you're always there when I need ya!!!!!!!!:winker: :thumby:

joesho...it will be easy keeping up with me....but you'll go broke trying to keep UP with DEANO!:gaptooth:

I've been posting all of my "photo shoot-like" pictures on the PHOTO FUN thread lately....but here's a couple:

Coming 'round the bend:

photos156.jpg

Don't look down!

photos170.jpg
steve,so true and so wise too, lol thanks for the warning. nice pics btw, also is under trestle there finnished??

Nazgul

Joesho...I'm sorry it took so long to answer your question.
It isn't finished, in fact, no area is really completed on the layout. I have trees to do, mini-scenes, etc.

Here's a pic of what's below the viaduct:
photos362.jpg

zedob

Is this like the longest running thread ever on the Guage...uh, Zealot?:confused:

Naz, your layout has come along quite nicely. Great Job! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Steve,
I think I know the contractor who did the footings for your viaduct. "Mountaingoat Concrete Construction"..."Our employees all have one leg shorter than the other for walking the side hills". :-D :-D :-D
Or, maybe the motto should be..."Always working over the edge" :-D
Pete

fsm1000

Thanks Nazgul for the compliments. I am glad you not only noticed the changes, but that you like them as well. :)

I hope your endeavors are coming along well for you also. :)

wickman

Wow Steve I can't believe the last time I was in your thread was april, so I'm finally caught up. I've been puttering along with trees on my own I also got a new shift starting next week so I'll be able do some modeling along with the rest of use trainiacs:twisted:
Keep up the great work Steve.:wave:

Russ Bellinis

Steve, have you considered sending photos of your layout into any of the modeling mags? Most of the layout features they do are photoessays that are done by the owners of the layouts, and they pay about $300.00 for features the last I heard.

Nazgul

Gus, Josh....thanks guys!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Pete...You would have to be at least part mountain goat to pour those footings! LOL!!!!
Stephen...I thank you for the well wishes:thumb:
Lynn...You must not have checked here for a while....cuz, I haven't done swat lately:eek:ops::cry:. I hope that your new shift will allow time for modeling (I have truly missed seeing your inspirational work):thumb::thumb::thumb:.....so get hot!!!!!:mrgreen::winker:
Russ:
Steve, have you considered sending photos of your layout into any of the modeling mags?
Russ...I know that I am my own worst critic...but that thought has not crossed my mind. I guess most of us would some day like to have a layout that could be featured in a publication, but I fear that I am years away from even dreaming about that. However, I know that I must be doing something right, for you to even mention it. Coming from you....it means a lot. thank you Russ:thumb:

Future plans: I have been in a modeling funk for the last 2 months or so. I have had zero desire to do anything. I guess doing this for over a year without any real break, kind of burned me out...but now I'm getting antsy to get back to work! When I started this layout, I told my wife that I would use my overtime money to finance it. Well, the overtime has dried up for the time being and I need to do things as cheaply as possible. What does that mean? I have a bit of ground cover material on hand and an urge to try scratch-building. The ground cover I can handle ...the scratch-building, we shall see. So now...it's back to work!

Take care:wave:

wickman

We all need a break once in a while. When I don't feel like doing much I run trains or sometimes just come in and read. I've been studying up on doing a back drop. I 'm hoping I'm not too far along for a backdrop ( painting, and I'm no artist ) I did the area in the corner of my layout with a wack of trees , got them pretty much all planted and started not liking the white that I seen peeking through from the rear wall. I asked my son what he thought about attempting a backdrop and I was hoping he would say it looked good the way it was , but no he simply started " sure would make the layout look bigger" wall1 , not the reply I was hoping to hear. :wave:

Steve if you need alot of ground foam try making your own like I did , its super cheap and I now mix real lite colors with darker green for a variance in my trees. You may also think about blending up some twigs , leaves basicly anything thats easy to come up with.:mrgreen:

Pooh Bah
Steve: You don't need a fully finished layout to write an article; work in progress is welcome at most magazines.
I went to a layout on a tour once that had had a page in Model Railroader. Turned out the only scenery on the layout was the 3 feet that had been in the mag.

UP SD40-2

Steve!:wav: :mrgreen: GLAD to hear your getting back in the swing of things:thumb: . Sheew, i was about to send the dogs and search party out for you:eeki: :toug: . hey, i too get in those non-modeling moods at times:frowns: , sometimes you just need to take a break:winki: :smilie: . ANYWAYS, i am REALLY looking forward to seeing your scratchbuilt structures:thumb: :mrgreen: .
:deano: -Deano

cnw1961

Steve, glad to see that your break is over and you’re back to work :wave:. Hope you enjoy scratch building as much as I do.

Steve - ditto to the funk. And when I haven't been in a funk there's been a honeydo list waiting. However, I did get tile laid in my dining room with the help of my family, and some great railfanning, along with plenty of reading on-line and elsewhere. I found out I could check out RMC from my local library.

And on my vacation (just about to fly back to WA this afternoon!) I managed to take in a layout tour, visit my former LHS (bought a Chopper II - finally!) and my former modular club.

So all that to say, I don't let myself get too depressed about a modeling funk. And neither should you.

You should, however, read up on the submission guidelines for the modeling mags and submit some pictures! If you want, share your potential submissions with us here and I'm sure there are folks who'll help critique them before you send them off.

Gotta fly -

fsm1000

Don't worry about 'the funk' Steve. We all get them. Even John Allen got them. The longest latest a few months [after about 16 years or so of modeling].
Anyhow, do something else and then one bang, it will hit you again. Just come back every now and then and let us know you are still alive ok? :D

Later

91rioja

It is supposed to be a hobby

Steve:

I look at this as a hobby; anything that I have to do full time is a job. I never want to have my model railroading turn into a job, ever. If it does, I'm selling off everything for good.

I have many hobbies, and each hobby has its time and place. During the summer, I have my golfing and the out-of-doors honey-do list. Once it starts getting colder, I'll start geocaching again (I hate snakes and spiders) and riding my mountain bike. During the winter nights, I have my astronomy (winter is the best time to observe). And I will have more time during the winter to build my railroad. It is all cyclical in nature; don't let it get you down.

Glad to see you back in action again.

steamhead

Hey Steve...Don't mind the funks...We all have them and, like Stephen says, one day you'll remember that you had something to do on the layout, and before you know it, you're up to your neck in trains...:mrgreen:

Chris...You're into astronomy too..?? A great pastime if you like cold winter nights outside. I lived in Mexico for a while, up in the central plateau region, close to 6,000 ft. elevation. Once I stayed up 'till close to 3 AM (freezing my butt) just waiting for the Southern Cross to peek above the southern horizon...What a thrill..!! Never seen it again...:cry:

Here in Brownsville, I'm lucky to see the full moon now and then..Just too hazy & too much light around...:curse:

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Here in Brownsville, I'm lucky to see the full moon now and then..Just too hazy & too much light around...:curse:
Same thing trying to find stars in the sky in Phoenix. We used to live in the mountains outside of Prescott, AZ and would soak in the hot tub under the stars well into the night. Now we live in Phoenix where most of the time, it's too hot for a hot tub and the telescope hasn't come out of the closet since we moved here.
As far as the modeling funk... I think I've got a minor case of it at the moment too. It's time will come around again.