Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Ditto what Kurt said, slowing down isn't a bad idea if it means you'll be happier with the result. Just don't get analysis paralysis...not that you're in any danger of this at the rate you've been going! Slow down is fine...just try not to stop! Inertia is hard to overcome in either function, starting or stopping.

As for that space in between the peninsulas...you've already got some good ideas. With all those turnouts, however, it wouldn't be a bad place for a small interlocking tower. Just getting a road to it might be difficult, unless it came from across the tracks...gravel road with a timber and gravel crossing.

waredbear

Mar 13, 2007
Spokane Valley, WA
I did it!!!! I read all 961 posts...more or less

I take my hat off to you Nazgul for the wonderful work you have completed on your RXR. I also commend you on your training session for all of us newbies and seasoned veterans alike. I know I will come back to this loonngg thread from time to time once I get my own rail set-up. My plan is to run the neighbor to your Nothern Pacific...the Great Northern. I already have four engines looking for a track. First I'm going to build a coffee table set-up for the wife. I'm hoping that will spark her interest or at least give me the go ahead to build a large lay-out. But that will have to wait until we get a new house...with a train room or building.

Keep up the good work and continue on eastward...

In His Service,
Reid
Spokane, WA

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
Well the last time I was here was back in feb 2nd. LOOONNNGGG time. Since then I have gotten a hard drive failure [MBR was destroyed]. Then I got a new computer that didn't work argh. Oh well.
I am back guys. No one missed me I see though [no private posts or emails asking if I was ok, but oh well].
Anyhow, I see you are still doing a great job on this great railway. :)
May I suggest a fan on low speed to help the sculptamold dry faster?
Not on high speed as it may dry to fast and crack.
I missed so much and there has been so much to catch up on whew. You certainly have done a lot in the almost 3 months since I been here last.
Keep up the good work Naz. Good to see that you are still keepin' on keepin' on. :)

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Kurt...thank you for your encouragement and patience;)
Galen...I think the small tower is a great idea!..thank you:thumb:
waredbear...I need to hand out some kind of E-award to all of those people who have the stamina to actually read ALL of this thread!!:D .....I love GN:thumb: and I wish you luck on your layout(s)....talking the wife into it will probably be the toughest part:rolleyes: :D
Josh...thank you for always being there/here:thumb:
Stephen:
I am back guys. No one missed me I see though [no private posts or emails asking if I was ok, but oh well].
It's not that we didn't care.......we thought you were mad at us!:D I'm glad you are back and you have your cpu problems solved:thumb:

I have done little but run trains for the last couple of weeks:eek:ops: :) but I have decided to try two easy kits from Northeastern Scale Models ( I am now waiting for them)
the first is a very small passenger shelter:
http://www.nesm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NSMI&Product_Code=NE40001

It is going up near the mine for the workers:
photos 318 small.jpg

the second is a storage shed that is going in a yet to be determined location
http://www.nesm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NSMI&Product_Code=NE40002

Hopefully they will arrive before too long and I can get started. I have also decided to try my hand at a scratch-build project :eek:ops:...more on that as I get closer to doing it.
I have seen quite a few structures that would be great for the layout...but $ is the big stumbling block right now:rolleyes: (what else is new, right?) but I will just do it a little at a time and go slowly.
Not much of an update but....that's all I got:D
Take care:wave:

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
What's to be mad about? I mean ou are better then me in design, in track laying, scenery, tutorials and water and soon to be in scratch building. What's there to be mad about? SHEESH. :curse::cry: :rolleyes: LOL :D

On suggestion about going the scratch building way. Start small [you will ignore this of course] and go easy [something else to ignore LOL] and you will find it very rewarding.
I like it because I can tailor make something to my own layout. I do tend to need blueprints though. Thinking of something off of the top of my head is not something easy for me :S

Anyhow, play play play. Heck it isn't all just build build build :)

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Don't call out the search party.....I'm still alive (It's been a while....for me, that is)

Stephen...This time I will be taking your advice:thumb: ...............probably:mrgreen:

This is not a real update. In lieu of the recent changes here on The Gauge, I wanted to touch base with those who may be trying to read this thread. I "fixed" my posts on the last 8 pages or so but am unable to edit any posts before page 76. I have been advised to "let the dust settle" because some problems may take care of themselves and things I fix may break again before it is all over.
The only thing I do know is that The Gauge will be bigger and better than before:) People have already started blogs (I guess this thread is a big interactive blog)...anyway, I'm sure we'll all get through this....It's about the members after all......isn't it?

I am still waiting for the kits to arrive:curse: ....so I continue to play with the trains:mrgreen:

photos 028.jpg cropped small.jpg

I don't like the thumbnails!....but then again, I don't have dial-up:eek:ops:

Take care:wave:

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey Steve...I was just about to post asking folks if they'd seen you around. You've been MIA for a few days...Good to see you're back & plugging away..!!

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Gus...I have been "wandering in the wilderness" as I'm sure most of us have been. I HATE change and if I could've had my way, I would have wanted everything kept the same (only faster). But that was not an option. Now that I have been "forced" to accept the inevitable...I am slowly beginning to see that I may have been..............WRONG! (there is a first time for everything):mrgreen:
I think there is a lot of great potential here for The Gauge to be better than before....we shall see.
Any way I just didn't want to post my views and add to the confusion. Now, I will once more, happily add to, and create, a good bit of it:mrgreen:

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
:mrgreen: I can’t wait to see what you’ve got to add to the confusion :mrgreen: .

if I could've had my way, I would have wanted everything kept the same (only faster)
Steve, I am with you on that. For a few days I was reluctant to visit the Gauge or to post anything. But now, after getting used to the new look, I have to admit that the Gauge didn’t really change that much.

I "fixed" my posts on the last 8 pages or so but am unable to edit any posts before page 76.
I am "glad" to see that I am not the only one to have problems editing old posts. I tried to "repair" my turntable thread, but couldn’t do it. Do you, too, miss the "edit" button in your old posts?

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Kurt:
Do you, too, miss the "edit" button in your old posts?

Yes, that's the problem....we'll just have to give Peter time to get to the more mundane problems....I would imagine his hands are full right now.

I noticed that you have started a blog..........can't wait to visit!:-D

take care:waver22:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I suspect that part of the job that Peter is doing uploading pics to the Gauge has to do with old posts and the beginning of long threads as well. Once everything is done, he will probably have all of the pictures back in place.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Steve,
I added the edit problem to the list, don't know if it is resolvable or not, but it will get looked at.
Oh, just so you all know, the list is the "mother of all honey-do's". I do not envy Peter his tasks.
Hang in there, the ride will be bumpy for a while yet.:-D

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thank you Pete:thumby:

I know it has been a while since I posted any real progress. If any of you can remember........I have been waiting on two small structure kits to arrive. I wanted to do them before moving on to other things. It would also serve as a break from scenery:winker:. Well, I got the break, but no kits! Long story short: kit order cancelled:curse:.

As I mull over the next move, I remembered that I bought a pickup truck kit a while back and figured it would be EASY to slap that together:thumby: :)

Here's the kit:
photos 340 small.jpg

How could this NOT be easy?:rolleyes::
photos 343 small.jpg

I need only two things to do this project...............eyes that see twice as good and hands that shake half as much!

I'll keep ya all posted.................shouldn't take more than a month or two to complete.......................3 or 4 at the most................................I think Athearn is coming out with some new vehicles...................................scenerywasn't so bad...................

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Steve, sad to hear that you had to cancel the kit order – they looked very nice. No other dealer to order them from? How about scratch building these two little structures? They should be easy to do.

Miles is right, this truck looks like fun! Steve, success is not for the faint hearted :mrgreen:. I have complete confidence in you :wave:

..................................and if this kit makes you think that scenery wasn’t so bad.......................................and you start working on your scenery again ..........................I would’t mind........................

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Does anyone know why my attachments are at the bottom of my post when I have already inserted them up above?...........I could have sworn that it was not that way last night when I first posted it.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Steve:wav:, i noticed the double attachments last night, i was wondering what was going on:confused: . i have bought metal auto kits in the past, when finished they come out quite nice;) . i cant wait to see yours finished!:mrgreen: VERY NICE looking kit Steve:thumb: .

a quote from Kurt's post:"How about scratch building these two little structures? They should be easy to do."

Hmm...seems like someone else said the SAME thing in a PM to you;) , now if i could just remember who it was...:119: -Deano