Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Yes...!!!! Now you're a REAL modeler. That caboose just made my day :D (as did the weathering on that box car right behind the little 0-8-0...!!!). Superb work, my friend...!!! :thumb:

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Nazgul said:
Steven:

I'm with you...I would reply to more threads if I had something constructive to add but usually I just say: "Good job!"...We need experience and years in this hobby...it will come...I do appreciate all of the pats on the back that you and others have given me:thumb:
I always enjoy when you post in my thread, it shows that you have interest in it, which helps keep me going.

I really like the greenery progress!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Steve:wave:, REALLY NICE PICS!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: the first two are SLAP FANTASTIC SHOTS!:D i think you have found the PERFECT blend of dirt, rock, and grass;), OUTSTANDING JOB!!!:thumb: THANKS!:D -Deano

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thanks guys:)
Lynn...running the trains is probably the part I like best....sometimes I just let em run while I work on other things....as Deano said: "It's like watching a fish tank" TRUE! and just as relaxing:thumb:
Gus...glad you liked the caboose:thumb: ...but I can't take credit for the weathering on the car...that was Deano's handiwork. I am the proud owner of two beautifully weathered freight cars courtesy of Deano...truly awesome work! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Steven...I'll keep posting!...just take it one step at a time...everything you've done so far looks outstanding!:thumb:
Stephen...I don't know if I feel like a veteran....because I keep learning things the rest of you all ready know:D
Deano...Thanks Buddy:thumb: And thank you and Kurt for the ground cover advice...I would have been lost without it:cry:

I'm in the process of adding ground cover to the upper mountain areas...when I have completed it, I'll post some pics...right now I have the first layer down....
When I'm finished with that, I'll add the trees that I already have, but the rest will have to wait until warmer weather so I can paint them outside.....that's it for now
Take care:wave:

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Steve, you're right about running the trains...Despite whatever exceptions the purists may take, I designed the layout so I could run two trains at a time without having to be at the controls. It's a rail fanning layout...!!! This way I can just sit back and watch them run, or putter about doing other things.:D

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
thanks guys:thumb:
I did notice that you need more cabooses (cabeese?), in your era every train should have a caboose.
et tu Russ?

I am finished with the ground cover on this section:

Twin River RR 344 small.jpg

Twin River RR 357 small.jpg

Twin River RR 369 small.jpg

Twin River RR 348 small.jpg

Bear in mind that much of these areas will be covered with trees/bushes.
I will be waiting for the warmer weather to paint the trees so, I am done with this area until spring. I will be starting on the new section this week. Instead of "doctoring" a picture to show my rather rough plan, I will start making roads and then explain what's going on or going where.......
take care:wave:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Steve!!!:wave:, all i can say is...WOW!!!:eek:,adding the greenery REALLY changed the look of that part of the layout:thumb:. the rockwork, water, ballasting, trees, greenery, bridge and mine...CRIPES Steve, I AM TRULY IMPRESSED!!!:D "SLAP FANTASTIC JOB"!!!:thumb: :thumb:

Just a note: Hey folks:wave:, i hope Steve doesn't mind me posting this:eek:ops:. i too, am USUALLY a nut about what is right for the time period you are modeling;). many of you have mention the lack of cabooses Steve has, what you folks might not know is RIGHT NOW, Steve is REALLY CONCENTRATING on doing the scenics(and a FANTASTIC JOB he is doing on them:thumb:) on his layout:thumb:. Fact is, he only has about 14-18 cars at this time, thats NOT EVEN CLOSE to what he wants to get;). don't sweat it folks:D, the cabooses WILL COME:thumb:.

GREAT JOB STEVE!:D-Deano

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Steve - that greenery really adds life to the layout. Looks GREAT!

Deano - I'm in the same boat as Steve. In fact, he has more cars than I do. I have one loco, and soon to have a second, have less than 10 cars, and one caboose. Everyone realizes the work he is doing, and everyone loves it. I don't think anyone is really harking on him to get a caboose, just giving him shizzle for not having one (til recently)

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Deano...thank you for the complements and for your thoughts on my caboose-poor situation;) . All photos on this thread and my videos are not meant to be "serious" photos. I did a photo-shoot of a roll by that I posted in the photography, scenery section:
http://forum.zealot.com/t115728/#post411866

I used the caboose, as you can see. Hopefully, in the spring I will get to a show and get some more of EVERYTHING!:D I have about 15 cars, 2 structures, 0 vehicles, and 0 lpp:eek:ops: . Right now I'm doing things that cost little or no money. Christmas and the birthdays at the same time, sorely depleted the operating capital of The Twin River Div. of The N.P. Ry:cry:
Steven...thank you for the kind words:thumb: . As far as rolling stock goes...we'll get there:)
Bigsteel...Thank you!!!!:thumb: I really appreciate that!...Also good luck on your layout (if I knew anything about trackplanning I'd be there helping...I don't):cry:

I have begun work (barely) on the center section...
Here's the plan: (I did the original/Deano uncluttered it and got me thinking about truck traffic)
Copy of Twin River RR 387.jpg
the black rectangles are, yet to be determined, structures (small businesses/houses etc.) Just how much I can fit, really depends on how I have to do the sloping terrain. I am hoping to use wood retaining walls to maximize real-estate. I also have to choose structures and account for their footprints... so much to do...soooooo much fun to have!:) Plus I would like to try scratch building a structure or two......

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Steve, your "plan" looks good to me.

Plus I would like to try scratch building a structure or two......

Good idea :thumb: . you will see, it is much more fun and much more satisfactory than building kits. And you have a unique structure. Sometimes I get tired seeing Walthers Merchant’s Row :D , even though it is a good looking kit.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Kurt...glad you like the "plan"

scratch building:
I want to do a few kits first to get my feet wet...I think that will help me when it comes time to scratch build....don't worry, I'll be pming you for help:eek:ops: :cry: !
But I think it will be alot of fun and very challenging....I may even scratch build a turn table...who knows:D