Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Steve, a while back there was discussion of how to protect trains from falling to the floor from the bridge in your last picture. After seeing a pic of your layout from a bit of distance to see how that whole corner is in relation to the room, I think I have a solution for you. I would take a piece of 1/4 inch steel or aluminum rod 3 feet long and bend it to match the curve of the bridge. Take 2 1x2 boards, and drill 1/4 inch holes in one end of each, and epoxy the each end of the rod into an end of each board. Use the boards to mount the rod to the benchwork so it sticks out far enough for any rolling stock that falls to go between the rod and the benchwork. Finally stretch an old bed sheet or part of a bed sheet between the bench support and the rod, and just stitch a loop in the sheet like draperys. If a train comes off, it lands in the bed sheet like the catch net of a trapeze artist.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Steve...just looking at the recent pictures you've posted. That flat/bare area next to the river just inside the outer curve/bridge. What about a flowering meadow with a herd of Elk wandering through? Silflor makes a neat meadow material complete with flowers. (No, they're not giving me a kickback for advertising...)

Galen

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Steve....Great picture of that train traversing your gorgeous bridge. But, there's something missing.....A CABOOSE...!!!

My ballast cometh loose, the water tank's run dry...:cry:

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Steve:

You know I couldn't resist. I hope "snookums" doesn't have it out for me now. . . .

But, all kidding aside, I like what Galen suggested; a herd of elk or some other mountain dwelling animal would be great looking there.

Keep up the great work!

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Uh, oh...is snookums out on the prowl again? Either that, or Burt will come glare at you!

A riff on the wildlife theme...perhaps it can become a basic field or clearing in the woods in which various wildlife appear and disappear regularly. One month it's elk, the next a family of bears, the next bigfoot, etc.

OR, an old disused mine shaft and partially burned-out/rusted hoist house...maybe being explored by a group of hikers, about to be surprised by a bear?

AND I second what steamhead said about a caboose. Every time I've seen one of those neutered freight trains rolling through those beautiful rocky hills I just can't help but feel diminished somehow by the absence of a beautiful NP caboose trailing that freight. It just ain't right. (And neither is a FRED!!)

Galen

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
O man, that looks FANTASTIC, AWSOME, COOL, SWEET, STUNNING, and AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Nice job Steve, I need to do something like that, maybe you could do it for me?sign1 sign1

Truly OUTSTOUNDING JOB STEVE, KEEP IT UP, I LOVE IT:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Kurt, Chris, Josh...thank you very much!:thumb:
Russ...that sounds like a very good idea:thumb: ....I'll try and work it out:)
Galen...I do like those ideas:thumb: ...I've been thinkin' of a few in the same vein but haven't really sat down and got serious with them...guess I need to.

Well...I thought I was pretty much done with the viaduct (running trains must have dulled my senses) when I realized I never made the barrel platforms or added the guard timbers to the ties or guard rails for that matter!:eek:ops: :eek:ops: I did all that tonight but now I'm going to have to paint the whole bridge track to blend it all in and hide the discoloration:cry:How much easier that would have been BEFORE I attached it to the girders!:cry:
I'll live........I guess

Here's some pics:
Twin River RR 069 small.jpg

Twin River RR 077 small.jpg

Twin River RR 066 small.jpg

Twin River RR 081 small.jpg

Gus, Galen...I know you guys were worried about my trains not havin' a caboose....well I think I solved that problem:
Twin River RR 073 small.jpg
Well...that takes care of that!sign1

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I may be too late with this suggestion, but your water barrels gave me another idea for a train guard to keep them from falling. Put the barrells on the out side of the curve. Once the barrells are in place, you have to have a walkway for the crew to get to the barrels if they need to put out a fire. With the walkway, you need safety rails to keep your lpb's from falling into the canyon. If it is a "big bucks" operation, you could even put some light standards or telegraph poles going up about 3 or 4 inches from the walkways about every 3-4 inches or so. Make the guardrails, poles, and walkway strong enough to support the engine and trains in cas of a derailment, and you don't need an out of scale catch device.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
bridge really looks nice now. I'm not sure if I really ever noticed that road next to the river there, that could make for some great scenes, like everyone has been suggesting. Maybe the mineshaft like was mentioned, but with an old abandoned coal truck next to it, and have some hikers exploring with the bear...

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Steve,

Love the End of Train Device! I think you should contact Walthers and see if they will sell them!!! You might be able to make enough to support your railroad habit.

sign1

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ya' know, all kidding aside, everytime I read the original title of this thread I have to smile. There is definately nothing to laugh at. For the first time around you've done some pretty sweet work there. Truely an artist at work. Keep up the good work. I know this is one thread that will keep me interested right up until I start work on my own layout.

I like Russ' idea of the barrel placement and walkway on the outside curve of the bridge. I would second the motion for that idea as a "train catcher".

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Steve,

Back a few pages ago, there was a picture of a UT4 Throttle (you know, when you couldn't tell left from right, LOL). I was wondering how long is the cable and is it flat or curly? I have 4 sound equipped locos, and guess what? The Zephyr doesn't support any F keys above 8. So, I'm thinking about the UT4.

Care to give a review?

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Oh, yeah. Because I'm too lazy to search back through all 700+ posts in this thread, is that bridge flex track (if there is such a thing), and did it come with the kit? Did it have the center guard rails or did you add them in yourself?

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
91rioja said:
Steve,

Back a few pages ago, there was a picture of a UT4 Throttle (you know, when you couldn't tell left from right, LOL). I was wondering how long is the cable and is it flat or curly? I have 4 sound equipped locos, and guess what? The Zephyr doesn't support any F keys above 8. So, I'm thinking about the UT4.

Care to give a review?
Its actually a 2 minute job per cable to make them. You just need the ends and 6 wire telephone wire and a crimper. I made all of mine.:wave: