Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Steven and Dominic....
I edited the post...It's hard to please you "rivet counters"!....LOL

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Ok, I've been lurking around in this thread since day 1 trying to sum it up, and now I have it...

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE THE SCENERY VERSION OF MICHELANGELO!

This layout is your FIRST?!

HOLY GUACAMOLE!! :thumb:

The best work I've seen in, a very very long time!

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Miles....I could only wish...but I thank you
Lynn...Thank you...and yes, I am all plastered out!
That's why I enjoyed painting the bridge today:)
I mixed a very dark gray hoping to simulate faded black. I had originally planned to weather it a little but I won't with my cheapo airbrush...I may do a little rust running onto the concrete later. But I'm happy with the way it looks now
After painting it I got so excited I laid the track on top and connected it to the layout track at one end. I just wanted to see what it will look like.
I wish this Sculptamold would hurry up and dry so I could finish this scene.:cry:

Anyway....A couple of pics of the paint job and track on top:

Viaduct 034 light small.jpg

Viaduct 037 small.jpg

Viaduct 038 small.jpg

Viaduct 042 small.jpg

Viaduct 040 small.jpg

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
I hope each and every one of you and your loved ones has a very happy and healthy 2007 and beyond:) :thumb: :wave:

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Daggum! The train crews & passengers must really love the view from that bridge! (I sure do). Yes, you've taken the plan far beyond my imaginings...well, at least in a direction that is uniquely yours, as it should be! Awesome, dude!

But one of the pictures above brings up this issue...fascia! Any thoughts yet, or just gonna git to it when you git there?

Galen

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
I can certainly understand why you were excited to get the track on the bridge. Have you ever considered using weathering chalks. I took a shot at using the Bragdon chalks on my bridge and I couldn't believe how nice they were to apply. Just curious are you DC or DCC ? I find with DCC I could never run an engine very well after I've been working on the layout for a period of time, I would have to clean the track all down first which is really easy enough I just connect 2-3 deisels to my track cleaning car filled with nail polish remover and let it rip. The deisels always find a live spot between themsign1

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Hi All
Galen...I have given thought to fascia...what I have decided to do is: right below where I'm "wrapping" my scenery around, I will have curtains acting as a skirt. That will leave me easy access to the storage underneath...If It doesn't enhance the look of the layout I will plan B it.
Lynn...very early on I was planning on using chalks along with paint....I did the paint first and liked the result so I kind of forgot about chalks. However I think in this case That would be an excellent idea...at least if (when) I screw it up...it can come right off. Thank you for the suggestion (your bridge by the way is truly awesome!:thumb: as is YOUR rock work:thumb: :thumb: and YOUR water:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: )
THE SCULPTAMOLD FINALLY DRIED!balloon6
So......Here are the pics:

Viaduct 053 smaller.jpg

Viaduct 073 smaller.jpg

Viaduct 055 smaller.jpg

This one's for Deano:thumb:

Viaduct 059 small.jpg

Viaduct 066 small.jpg
The three colors of paint took me approx: 6 or 7 hours:sleeping: to complete.
There is still a lot to do..I have to install the bridge and track, color the "concrete", and add sand and all the other little things...greenery as usual will wait:D

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Must have a patient wife! The coloring looks on par with the rest of the layout! I'd say you blended in the new area just fine. Do you have any pictures that aren't zoomed in at all? I'd like to see a pic from more than a couple feet out, with a train crossing that bridge. These close-ups are nice, but I don't think we get the full effect of the scene

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
viperman said:
Do you have any pictures that aren't zoomed in at all? I'd like to see a pic from more than a couple feet out, with a train crossing that bridge. These close-ups are nice, but I don't think we get the full effect of the scene
YEA, Steve, I'm just not getting the full effect eithertooth1, could we get some MORE pics please:D.

FANTASTIC JOB!!!:thumb::thumb: the rock work AND bridge are SLAP AWESOME!:thumb: it really turned out even better then I imagined!!!:thumb:, and i have a good imagination!;):D i cant wait to see what you come up with for the bottom:thumb:. OH, and Steve, THANKS!, FOR THE("This ones for Deano")PIC!!!!:D :D-Deano

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Steve, it looks to me like you would have room to put a slide out shelf under the layout along the area where the bridge is close to the edge. Put a large soft foam block on the shelf and you have a locomotive catcher to protect them if the worst happens.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thanks Everybody:thumb: :thumb:
Steven...Right now I have the layout rolled away from the wall (I'm working all around it). In a day or two I'll be able to push it back and get the pic:thumb:
Combat...Thanks for the thumbs up!:thumb:
Deano...Thank you and you're welcome:thumb:
2-8-2...I appreciate the kind words!:thumb:
Russ...thank you for the timely input:thumb: . That seems to be the best way to play it. I really have to make sure the track is bullet-proof:eek:ops:
Lynn...Thank you. It means a lot coming from you:thumb: . I realized I never answered your question about DC/DCC. I run DCC and I also have a problem running trains after all the plaster/paint work. Almost none of my track is ballasted so it doesn't take long to clean it. I will use your method, with your permission, when I get further along:thumb:

I Have the track all hooked up and actually ran some trains tonite:D. I tested the track especially around the rail joiners and so far so good:) I now have the bridge weighted down as the adhesive under the supports dries.

I painted the concrete and this is the result so far:

Viaduct 079 small.jpg

Viaduct 083 small.jpg

Viaduct 081 small.jpg

Take care All:wave:

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
You know, if that river ever breaks down that rock face over on to that bridge, what a mess and new bridge that will be. Looks good and painting the concrete really helps the look along. :)

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Great Job!

OH CRIPES!:eek: that concrete REALLY DOES look like old concrete!!!:thumb: :thumb: once again, you have really pulled off a FANTASTIC scene!!!:thumb: i looked at the pics of your river countless times, and STILL marvel at it;). YOU have really outdone yourself on this one Steve:thumb:, GREAT JOB!!!:D

:D -Deano

holdenburg

Dec 29, 2006
Florida
www.nettechonline.net
Great Color Value and Technique...

Nazgul said:
Hi All
THE SCULPTAMOLD FINALLY DRIED!balloon6
The three colors of paint took me approx: 6 or 7 hours:sleeping: to complete.
There is still a lot to do..I have to install the bridge and track, color the "concrete", and add sand and all the other little things...greenery as usual will wait:D

WOW! Great Job on the Rock Work! Can you train us?? :thumb:

Herb