Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

fsm1000

AHA so that's your secret. Deano does the work and you take the credit er pictures hmmm :D:D:d Just kidding.
But those pics do look great. Especially the last two. Good work both of you.:)

cnw1961

Steve, your bridge is already looking great, even though the scene is far from beeing finished. BTW, looking at your engine roster brings me back to a topic we discussed on you thread several week ago. With a steamer and two cab units on your roster, you have to turn all of your engines when they come into your yard and before you can send them off again on their next run. Unless you call for help from Grodzilla or ez day’s little green men and their flying saucer (oh, I forgot, you cannot do that. They are from another universe – they are n-scale :D), you definitely need a turntable. The workers union of your LPB train crews won’t be amused if all your LPBs end up with a stiff neck from running their engines backwards most of the time sign1 .

Nazgul

Josh...thank you, I appreciate your kind words:thumb:
Deano... You are too kind buddy!:thumb:
Steven:
that bridge is looking great in there. Look forward to seeing how you suport those legs hangin off the edge of the world though
So do I.....you got any ideas? I need all the help I can get!:D :thumb:
Stephen:
AHA so that's your secret. Deano does the work and you take the credit er pictures hmmm
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
You should see the guy that does my scenery! He's expensive but worth every penny! A true artist!:D :D
Kurt:
you definitely need a turntable.
Funny you mentioned that. Some guy scratch built a turn table! can you believe it?:D It was on the "scratchin' and bashin' forum.
http://forum.zealot.com/t113505/

Awesome work! I was actually thinking of trying one for myself when the time comes.:eek:ops: Of course I'll probably be asking "him" a million questions:thumb:
Galen...you want more pictures, sure!..nobody has to twist my arm! I love showing gratuitous pictures of my work! (I feel so cheap)sign1
First up: I used some "L" brackets I had laying around to support the bottom of the ravine
Scenery 398 small.jpg

Next are all of those tacky self-promotional photos I was telling you about.:rolleyes: I almost feel bad doing it......almost:D

Scenery 384 small.jpg

Scenery 386 small.jpg

Scenery 391 small.jpg

Scenery 395 small.jpg

viperman

Steve, I look forward to more progress on this scene. I like ho you dropped the level in the corner like that, I bet it will be awesome lookin soon enough (given you have time to work on it). Keep us posted

I do like those other pictures you took there, they do really make the scene all that much better, especially with that bridge

91rioja

Steve,

All I can say is WOW jawdrop !!!! That is going to be one awesome scene. So I have a question for you; which way is that scene pointed? Is it the first thing you see when you come in? My new plans call for a viaduct spanning the river as the opening scene to my room. The first thing you see will be that bridge scene (if I ever get my head out of my reasearch and start building). I'm planning on the shock and awe scene, so that way you don't have to look at the rest.

Keep up the great work!

PS. That sure is a nice picture of some shoes you got there. IIRC, Galen mentioned the same thing to me some time ago. What is it with that guy and shoes??????

Aha, that first shot showing the lowered section...now that's the look of great potential. Thanks again for sharing! Very cool indeed!!

Galen

Nazgul

Thank you everyone!
Chris...this end of the layout is the first thing you see when you come down into the room...Galen made the radius (that I put the bridge on) the largest on the layout because of that fact (he thinks of everything!);)
George...I can't believe you've changed the locale of your layout....I loved your desert landscape, however the change to the Midwest is coming along splendidly!:thumb: :thumb:
here's a link to it:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=24148
You need to start a thread dedicated to your progress on it!:thumb: :thumb:

OK...so here's what I got done tonight: I enclosed the lower area and added some rough slopes under the towers...I also made some "cement" footing shapes out of blue foam. I'm really just trying to determine heights and get a feel of what looks right. I'm happy so far with the look but that may change.
Here's some pics:

Scenery 404 small.jpg

Scenery 408 small.jpg

Scenery 406 small.jpg

UP SD40-2

SLAP AWESOME STEVE!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: i think this section of the layout will be the SHOWCASE of it!:D well, perhaps not, knowing you, you'll some how top this FANTASTIC IDEA!;):D. cant wait to see more pics! :D -Deano

Herc Driver

That's going to be awesome! You're going to get some stellar pictures when that's all done and it's going to look great. Really nice work.

Nazgul

Thanks....Steven, Deano, and Herc Driver!!!
I really appreciate it!......
I didn't get a chance to do anything today....hope to hit it tomorrow...see ya!!!!

Heck...just paint the footings black, then drybrush on progressively lighter shades of gray and tan until it resembles concrete, then finish with some splotchy moss around the bases (WS fine ground foam mixed with matte medium stippled on with a stiff bristled brush) and you're done! Conceal a brass rod or suitable support inside for structural stability if you wish...depends on how heavy the trains are and how stable the bridge is overall.

*and yes, I did plan the curve for just such a 'beauty shot' since it's perhaps the first thing folks will see in the room, but I don't think of EVERYTHING! Otherwise I'd have made it a slightly larger radius to ease your curved bridge frustrations! But it's really turning out great. Thanks again for sharing!

Galen

Galen

Nazgul

Galen
Thank you for the recipe for concrete. As far as making the radius bigger: considering you were working with already decided-upon bench work, I don't think ANYBODY could have squeezed a larger curve in there!
I'm working on the lower area now, but instead of posting pics in "dribs and drabs", I will wait till it is completed or nearly completed so I can keep them all together. So if I don't post for a while it ain't because I'm not doing anything.....of course you won't really know if I'm doing anything or not....hee hee hee hee:D

Nazgul

Introducing Burt the Engineer

Hi all
I've decided to post the progress pics in two batches. This is the first, the second will be finished pics after painting. I have used no new techniques here so I'm not going into great depth (unless feed-back dictates otherwise).
I really don't have time to go through it all so I've asked a good friend of mine: Burt the Engineer to describe what your seeing in the pics. I know Burt seems a bit gruff at first but he's really "an old softy".........once you get to know him.........no really, he is...........

how to 1.JPG

how to 2.jpg

Next he's added the Sculptamold. All work was shaped with a putty knife (how easy is that). Use photos to help you decide on shapes and texture...keep it interesting.....unlike Steve

how to 3.jpg

how to 4.jpg

how to 5.1.GIF

Thanks Burtram....I think....... (he hates it when you don't call him Burt the engineer):D

MERRY CHRISTMAS
AND
HAPPY HANUKKAH

Burt....that first face...what can I say but ROFLMAO!!!!! What a Xmas gift! Kinda reminds me of a flying monkey from Wizard of Oz. Just great! OH, and the scenery is nice too.

Galen