Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
First of all..I knew that yardstick was going to get me in trouble!:D
second...Steven, it only been 2 days since my last post! I know I talk a lot but it hasn't been that long:D However it's been a while for you...what you doing on your layout? Are you going with the last plan posted on your thread...I thought it looked great!!!!:thumb:

Now to the viaduct:
Since I now am going to have a small ravine that the bridge towers will land in, I think I will go back to the 4 sided version (modified for sloping ground)
If my benchwork allows (that's a BIG if)

My "simple" drawing shows what I'm talking about:
Top drawing shows single support towers
Bottom drawing shows modified 4 sided towers

bridge supports.jpg

Of course going to the 4 sided version requires more gluing (oh boy!) and some bashing to fit this tight area.
So back to putting the towers together....see ya after the new year!!!!sign1

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Steve,

Your work continues to astound me! Everything looks great and I really like the new viaduct. Was that the 150' or 210' kit?

You know, I haven't seen a wooden yardstick like that since I was in first grade; the music teacher used to have a pink one that she would pop the crap out of us with.

Keep up the good work!

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Chris
Great to hear from you. I hadn't seen a wooden yardstick in years either until I started this. I used one to layout my curves just as Stephen describes. To answer your question, this is the 210' version. Had I went with the shorter bridge, I could have made it without curving the girders, on as tight as a 18" radius.
Wrestling all day today, working 12 hrs tomorrow...not much going to get done this weekend:cry:
Have a good weekend everyone

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Forget everything I said in post #563:eek:ops: My bench frame and river position won't allow the towers to be built like that (should have know better), so.....It's back to single sided supports:rolleyes: ...Don't worry, I may be slow but I'll get there:D
On a positive note, I glued the bridge shoes on! Not bad for a week's work eh?
Hope to get moving this weekend and then I'll post some pics:thumb:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Ahhh yes, THE HAMMER!...believe me, I was seriously thinking about using the hammer on this bridge:curse: but.....I think I finally have sorted things out:thumb:
I got some work done:) today:
The far end of the bridge in this pic will sit on "cement"
Scenery 376 small.jpg

While the near end in this pic will sit on a flat "natural rock formation"
Scenery 368 small.jpg

Also you will notice how I cut the center towers uneven to land on the non-existent sloping terrain.
Scenery 373 small.jpg

Scenery 377 small.jpg

Look Galen... BRIDGE SHOES!!:D
Scenery 375 small.jpg

I will post more pics as I go.....hope everyone is having a great weekend!:thumb:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
WOW!!!:eek: the bridge is coming along absolutely FANTASTIC!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: i knew you would be able to pull it off without fail;). GREAT shots of the layout too Steve!!!:thumb: i am FLOORED every time i see your rock work, and river:thumb:. OUTSTANDING JOB STEVE!!!:D

:D -Deano

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
I wanted to make mention here of a recent addition to my "fleet" of engines (I only had one!) and boxcars. Many of you probably read Deano's (UP SD40-2) thread in the "photography, books, etc" forum and know about this...but for those of you that don't:
In short, I did a desert background scene for Deano's new diorama as a thank you for all of the help he has given me on this layout (mostly through PM's and some IM's). A more detailed description and better pics can be found here:
http://forum.zealot.com/post394130-714/
http://forum.zealot.com/post394130-714/
Deano's artistry, hard work, and generosity can not be over-stated.
He received a desert scene for his diorama, I received two highly detailed dcc-sound equipped F-units and two beautifully weathered boxcars. Most importantly though...we both made a friend.....see, model railroading is LIFE!!:D
Here are some pics I took:

Scenery 380 small.jpg

Scenery 382 small.jpg

Scenery 383 small.jpg

S 002 small.jpg

S 003 small.jpg

Thank You DEANO:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb::thumb: :thumb: :thumb::thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
THANKS STEVE!!!:D glad your happy;), because I SURE AM!!!:thumb::D. BTW, your photography looks FANTASTIC!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:, I...:cry: ...COULDNT...:cry: ...be PROUDER!:D the last pic slap KNOCKS MY SOCKS OFF!:D i can see i am going to have to tie my shoes on tighter when viewing your pics nowtooth1, AGAIN GREAT PHOTOGRAPHY!!!:thumb:. THANK YOU my friend,

:D -Deano

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
You both do excellent work, and this was a great trade-off.

Steve - that bridge is looking great in there. Look forward to seeing how you suport those legs hangin off the edge of the world though

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
I got SHOES, you got SHOES, all God's bridges got SHOES!!...uh, I mean chilluns...

YESS!!! The bridge and the locos look great! And kudos to Deano for using what looks like real black paint with a nice glossy sheen. What sort of sound system have you got there?

As for the bridge pilings...nice choice to make them uneven. I bet that'll be some purty rock work beneath them. And it's especially nice the way it opens up the vista down the river and up toward the mine. Can you give us an overall shot of that end from a few feet away? Maybe when its further along.

Again, great work! And a great expression of friendship and collegiality.

Galen

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
ocalicreek said:
And kudos to Deano for using what looks like real black paint with a nice glossy sheen. What sort of sound system have you got there?
Galen
WHOA! Galen, I THANK YOU! for the complements:D, but i DIDNT paint the whole F3, just the add on parts i put on it;). but still, THANK YOU!:D

the F7 has an MRC brilliance sound decoder in it, the F3 has the NEW style MRC Brilliance sound decoder in it:thumb:. :D -Deano