Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

cnw1961

Steve, good to see you making progress again :wave: :wave: . I like your curved viaduct :thumb: . The jig to correct the curve was a very good idea. Sorry to hear that you didn’t paint the back wall – I wanted to ask you how you did it sign1 .

viperman

Bridge looks great llike that!

On my route at work, they are extending one highway some distance south of where it ends, and they are re-building the interchange at another highway it crosses. All the ramps that are on curves, have curved support beams under, just like your bridge (well, a little different, but same general idea)

fsm1000

Looks good Steve. :) But without a tower in the middle hmmm....
I hope it can stand up to the torque of the wieght of the train on it. The torque would be on the ends where it connects to the land. I am sure you thought of that though.
Should be interesting. :)

Steve...looks great! (even with the curved girders). Glad to hear you are acheiving model railroad 'balance' with the rest of your life. We can't all be wealthy bachelors like John Allen...nor should we be. So keep up the great work, I can't wait to see more, even though I know I'll have to.

Galen

Nazgul

Thank you guys for the encouraging words:thumb: ...It was a tough decision to make (curving the girders) but it was the one I was most comfortable with (at this time). I hope it won't detract from the layout....However, any chronic rivet counters have given up on me a long time ago!:D I'm going to try and get some more accomplished here in the next week but we'll have to see........life is calling!

But without a tower in the middle hmmm....
Stephen...There will be 4 towers along the span of the viaduct in their proper places...I just wanted to configure the girders so that none of them landed in the middle of the river.:thumb: Even I wouldn't torture the laws of physics that much...............well I wouldn't...usually :D

fsm1000

Oh ok I misunderstood you. I thought you meant you didn't want a tower in the middle of the bridge [duh on me LOL].

And no I CAN'T imagine YOU torturing the laws of physics THAT much. IIIII believe you, no honest I do, seriusly, no really :D:D:D:D:D:D:D LOL

Nazgul

And no I CAN'T imagine YOU torturing the laws of physics THAT much. IIIII believe you, no honest I do, seriusly, no really
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
LOL

L O L !!!!!

Illus

Well, considering it is your first layout, and since the rest of it is disgustingly excellent, I suppose you can get away with the curved girders... If you want to go half-way...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? I think it looks great!!!!!

sledge57

After just reading all 37 pages of this, all I can say is,WOW
bow.gif

I bet you never heard that before :D

As another rookie I'm blown away by what you've done.

I'm not sure if I'm inspired or intimidated now though
willy_nilly.gif

Looking forward to seeing more, who knows I might even get on the ball someday.........

Nazgul

fsm1000 wrote:
Doug, don't be TOO impressed, after all he actually took some of my advice LOL
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
And if that isn't a reason to NOT be impressed, I don't know what is!sign1

Illus...thank you so much for your encouragement:thumb:

sledge57... I hope that some inspiration can be found on these pages but never intimidation. I always look at what the best modelers here on The Gauge and elsewhere do and I try to achieve that same degree of aesthetic quality. Although I haven't achieved that standard, I am very happy for the most part with my work but it is only because I was inspired by much better modelers, that I have been able to do what I have.
This is the perfect environment to learn, and to try, and to get input and feedback. The internet has really made it possible to speed up the learning curve and achieve better results much faster than ever before. We have a great advantage over newbies in the past. We have almost instantaneous access to outstanding model railroaders who WANT to help us and share their expertise.
So I say...."get on the ball";) and start modeling!:thumb:

***THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE FROM: THE ASSOCIATION FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF MODEL RAILROADING AND AMATURE PSYCHOLOGY***

fsm1000

Nope us old timers never intimidate. We make sure the collars are a bit loose, the sticks are not to thick, we feed our pupils at LEAST once a day. Sometimes we let them watch us work and after a year or so we sometimes allow the really obedient ones to operate a loco for a few minutes [maybe]. :D:D:D LOL

I hope you know I am kidding. Well about the food anyways :D:D:D:D [it is twice a day] LOL

Nazgul

Hey Everyone
I have finally finished my other project(s) and with the exception of the kid's sports...I hope to get back to "business" on this layout.
I have removed the track and cut the foam and plywood under the bridge location where the bench framework would allow. I had hoped to get a bit of depth to keep the supports as long as possible, However, with the framework and river locations, the improvement is minimal. Having said that, I think it will make the scene more interesting if not add the look of height that I wanted.

Here are a couple of pics that show the unfinished viaduct in it's future home.
Scenery 363 small.jpg

Scenery 364 small.jpg

I will, of course, post when I have something worth seeing...or not worth seeing...or reading (but you knew that already):D

UP SD40-2

Steve:wave:, GLAD to see your back on track!:thumb::D AND, real glad to hear your "other" projects are done, especially that REAL PESKY ONE!;)tooth1

looks like the bridge is coming along GREAT!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: cant wait to see the next set of progress pics of it!:thumb: TRULY OUTSTANDING WORK(as usual)Steve!:D

:D -Deano

2-8-2

Nazgul said:
...or not worth seeing...or reading (but you knew that already):D

Yeah, I read the fine print...nice try though! :D

You've made some amazing progress this year, Steve. You're an inspiration to all us newbies. And you're right, the internet has definitely lessened the learning curve for us. I might have given up by now if it weren't for the help of the fine folks here at The Gauge.

Keep up the good work!
:thumb:

cnw1961

I agree with 2-8-2 – nice try. Steve, you have to try hard to show us something that we think is not worth seeing :D . Your viaduct, curved or not, will be a masterpiece. I hope you show us meticulously how you install the bridge on your layout. Building mountains like yours is my weak spot and I can still learn a lot from you :wave: . And, by the way, it’s your fault that I want some on my next layout :D. Following your progress, I looked too often at your gorgeous gorges and mountains – they are contagious.

fsm1000

Personally I think that bridge is pretty darn good.
Only comment I have is that the yardstick appears to be out of scale :D.
Other than that I would say you have one heck of a great bridge going there :D:D:D.