Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

fuzzyloggin

Oct 9, 2006
Sydney,Australia.
hey all, nice to meet you.
i just have to say that this thread is an absolute gem, steve you have done a great job with all your work(i love your layout mate) and this post with the help of all the people that have contributed is a testament to just how good this website is. i found you all when one of galens posts came up in a google search i did and ive been reading through posts on the gauge for the last few days ever since. thanks for everything ive learned here without you even knowing :)
i look forward to all future progress on your layout steve as it is exactly the style that im looking at doing myself please keep posting pictures as you get them because you are teaching me so much, which is why i have signed up with the gauge to hopefully learn more and more, im thinking of starting my own thread for my project as well. I hope i do it the right way so as to get even a quarter of the support you got , anyways enough of a rant sorry guys continue and pretend i never interupted :)
signing off from sydney australia.
The Fuzz

fuzzyloggin

Oct 9, 2006
Sydney,Australia.
thanks mate im running another thread in HO section where im finalising my benchwork design, (i have no choice but to hoist it from garage ceiling :( )
once i have final dimensions i will definately post and see what we can work out
thanks mate :)

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Fuzz,
Thank you mate for all the kind words. I really do appreciate them. I KNOW that you will receive all the same fine help and support that that I have.:thumb: By the way...You can "rant" on here anytime you like;).
recent progress: very little....reason: Yard work:cry:
I post some pics when I'm done with the section I'm working on. I do have a lot of the sculptamold done so I need to paint.
see ya

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Nazgul said:
recent progress: very little....reason: Yard work:cry:

You know, it is getting colder and yard work is no longer going to be an excuse for not working on your layout. I need to get lights in my room, so I will no longer have an excuse.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Chris:
You know, it is getting colder and yard work is no longer going to be an excuse for not working on your layout.

It's really sad!...you haven't even met me and you completely have me figured out!sign1
I did do some yard work......I swear!............no really I did......I probably spent 2 days...I mean 2 hours...no wait 2 minutes......but it was a really tough 2 minutes!
But don't worry about me...I'm recovering quite nicely and hard at work on my layout:thumb:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
I painted all 3 colors today so here are a few before and after pics:

Before:
Scenery 091 small.jpg

After:
Scenery 097 small.jpg

Before:
Scenery 094 small.jpg

After:
Scenery 099 small.jpg

Lookin' down:
Scenery 101 small.jpg

Paint is still wet in pics....it should blend better when dry (yeah it will). :D
Also with greenery it should soften it up a bit.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
WOW!:eek: TRULY an OUTSTANDING job Steve!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: good thing you posted today, i was about to send the dogs out looking for ya:D . GREAT JOB Steve!!:D :D -Deano

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thanks guys
I added some greenery to one side and I believe it does in fact soften the look considerably. It also serves to blur the "seam" where the river bank meets the rock face. I want to vary the colors slightly and introduce some yellow and maybe other colors into the mix. I will continue with this, and then experiment. I also want to add some taller grass-like plants also.
Your thoughts and or critique would be greatly appreciated:thumb:

Scenery 102 small.jpg

Scenery 103 small.jpg

fuzzyloggin

Oct 9, 2006
Sydney,Australia.
i like the way you have the plantlife up along the track there in the secnd photo,looks great , and i agree about the taller grass and stuff but im not sure as to the best placement i look forward to seeing you experiment :)

fuzzyloggin

Oct 9, 2006
Sydney,Australia.
another question mate, im thinking of using parts of you layout to create my own is that ok, as i wouldn't want to post on the gauge down the track only for you to crack it and tell me ive copied or anything?? ?

and if that is ok im wondering if you could tell me how high your mountains are from the lowest part of the river bed??
the first photo you just posted is a perfect example of what im after the distance between the river bed in the for ground and the top of the unsceniked frame in the background..
just the straight up and down elevation between the two ..
thanks mate.. :)

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Fuzz...any part of the plan you'd like to use is fine by me (ocalicreek, the planner). The rest is up to Steve (the builder).

Steve - seriously, dude, check out Silflor products from Scenic Express. When I get the timesaver set up again and a few new pics taken you can see how it looks there.

'till then, check out Jeff Kraker's work with the stuff here:

http://www.railimages.com/gallery/jeffkraker

Galen

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Steve, those pics look great! I do like the effect of the greenery.

In the top pic, to the left by the tracks. I think that would be a good place to put some taller grass. Looks more like dirt/sand than rock, and its not a vertical surface

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
first things first...Fuzz
several other people have asked if they could do this layout and my answer is always the same....if it's all right with Galen then it's all right with me:thumb:
I thought it would be cool to see someone else's interpretation. What ever parts you want to use...go for it! Lastly, (as I told the others) It just can't turn out better than MINE!:D
To answer your questions: The unscenicked mountain in the back stands 2ft (61cm) above the river bottom.....My largest mountain stands 2.5ft (76cm) above the river (about 1ft from the ceiling)

Galen:
I just checked out Mr. Kraker's work and......You've convinced me...I am going to try the Silfor. My LHS doesn't stock it so I can't look before I buy....any recommendations?

You know, it's funny.....I think I'm doing a good job and then I see the work a man like he is doing and......It blows me out of the water....makes me step back and take a good long objective look at my own stuff and it is sorely lacking. But that just makes me want to do better. I don't want to settle for "pretty good"...I want to aim high so when I fall short (and brother do I ever!) It's still something I can be proud of. I have a lot to learn but I'm having FUN everyday learnin' it!:). I'm going to hang some of his pics up by the layout to keep me in checkannounce1 hamr

I added a little yellow to the plants...hope you can see

First just green:
Scenery 108 small.jpg

next with yellow highlights
Scenery 111 small.jpg

Scenery 103 small.jpg