Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
lol, i've hear sories of things getting put into the scenery without knowing it, lol. I hope it isn't part of those moutains!

its probably just under a box or something. I hope you find it

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I hate it when this stuff happens :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: and when I find whatever im looking for, it was right infront of me the whole time hamr hamr

Anyways, I hope you find it!!!:thumb: :D

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
standards? we don need no stinkin...

Here's an idea. Just print out the one you used as a picture in the post, cut it out and use it. Or you could get all fancy and glue it to a piece of cardstock. Assuming it's the correct size. If you could find the dimensions somewhere you could always just measure and make your own. Besides, the best gauge is often your longest, widest and highest rolling stock in a train together. Assuming you'll never buy anything larger than that...can you see where this is going?

Thanks for the good humor, too, btw.

Oh, and my computer at home is now set up to get online so hopefully tonight I can make a quick sketch of the room dimensions and get that posted along with the pictures. Just need to finish cleaning the carpets and mowing the lawn over at the rental house to be completely moved out. All 4 Gorilla Racks are now set up in the garage and that makes sorting and unpacking a whole lot easier. But there's just so much stuff and junk to go through before we garage sale...hopefully next weekend if the weather cooperates.

Looks like I'll basically have an 8'x10' space to play with, with one 8' side along the garage door and one 10' side along a wall (limited by the breaker box and cable box), with the other side out in the middle of the garage as long as 15'...but I already have a 'given' there to factor in - it's the perfect place for my Time Saver module, as I designed it to be worked from either side. SO the actual new real estate there is 10', but again, access from the other stall of the garage alongside the car is a potential aisle.

When I post the pics and dimensions it'll be in a new thread of its own, but I'll come over here to let y'all know.

Galen

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Galen,
Awesome news! you know, I'm as excited about your layout as I am my own!:thumb:
I can't wait to see it start and come together.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
questions...questions...questions

These are 3 pics of my layout going from left to right. (east to west)

Scenery 061 small.jpg
Scenery 062 small.jpg
Scenery 063 small.jpg

I put the train in the photo to give you all an idea of distance.
the question is with the area in the 3rd photo. I originally planned on a mountain like the others but smaller with more trees. Now I'm thinking about transitioning to rolling hill(s) and trees to keep the layout visually interesting.
At this time I still plan on a lumber mill...but that too can change if a better idea presents itself. I'd like to know what you think.
Thanks

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Steve, WOW!!:eek: , your layout is REALLY LOOKING GREAT!!!:thumb: i LOVE the rock work you have done:thumb: . looking at all the rock work though, makes me think some "rolling hills", with lush green might be nice:) . it would give a nice contrast to all that AWESOME rock work:thumb: . ALSO, it would kinda "complete" your layout, i mean you would have water, flatland, ROLLING HILLS, and mountain. just my thoughts;) :D question, a lumber mill would take quite a bit of space, wouldn't it? would you be putting it in the 3rd pic, where the siding is? not sure if one would fit there, but then again, i am NOT sure just how big they are.:confused: ...ANYWAYS, keep up the GREAT WORK!!!:thumb: and keep posting those pics!;) :D -Deano

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Galen,
Awesome news! you know, I'm as excited about your layout as I am my own!
thumbsup.gif

I can't wait to see it start and come together.

Me too. I'm posting this from home...woo hoo, progress...but now I can't find the camera. :curse: :curse: :curse:

Say, didn't you have a box of stripwood with instructions somewhere that was missing a piece? What ever happened to that? Or am I thinking of someone else. I'm too lazy to go back and reread the post at this point.

Galen

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Deano,
Yes the 3rd pic shows the location. There's room enough if I keep it simple. I guess what I'm tryin' to determine is: can I pull off a transition from mountains to hill country in that short a run and still look "right"?

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Galen,
Yeah I have a Campbell's Idaho springs mine. I was thinking of keeping both mines removable and swap them out when I wanted a change. Another thought occurred to me to build it as an abandoned mine above the new one. I even built a ledge for it or some other structure:
Scenery  066 small.jpg

You can see it at the top of the pic. the size is deceiving it is actually larger than it appears. But I could build it as partially collapsed.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
How they gettin' to work?

It was brought to my attention that I was kind of forgetting roads or small stations for the workers at the mine and future mill area to get back and forth to work. It was discussed long ago by Galen, I think, and probably others but quite frankly other than a vague idea of what I could do...I haven't really thought about it lately......all right I forgot all about it! It's a good thing that this person, who shall remain nameless, brought this up or I would be tearin' up scenery later. I can't really see a place for a road, especially at the mine so I'm thinking a small station:

First pic show general area for small station on layout
Copy of Scenery 061 small.jpg

Red area is first choice, blue second(really tight with tunnel opening behind it) but it faces the front.

Copy of Scenery 067 small.jpg

Last pic shows (red and blue areas) 2 possible locations for a tiny station. I have no real preference. The green area is a hill with possible company houses on top. Any suggestions?

Copy of Scenery 068 small.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Steve, i think small depots would be a GREAT IDEA!!:thumb: this would also give you a good excuse to run that passenger train;):D. i think ANY of the places you have marked along the mainline would work out fine:thumb: . just my two cents;) . :D -Deano

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Train to work

Steve:

Galen designed a plan for me some time ago that used my 4-8-4 and a car to get the miners to and from work. I think that would be a great idea; you then would have another "excuse" to run your passenger trains. Happy workers are ones who ride a train to work (OK, I just made that up, but you get the point).
Go with the small station to get your employees to work. :thumb:

Edit: I am proud to say I started page 22 of this!!!!!

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Deano,
thank you for your input!;) :thumb: I appreciate it!

Josh,
thank you for the kind words:) I'm learnin' as I go...and havin' a blast!:D

Chris,
I'm positive Galen suggested this earlier on this thread or a PM...What can I say, He's everywhere!:thumb:

I am proud to say I started page 22 of this!!!!!

I'm proud to have you on any page!.............and that goes for the rest of ya!
Thanks for the help everybody

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
experimenting with greenery

HAVE FUN DOING IT!!!
You are 100% right Josh...I don't ever want to lose sight of that. The day I stop havin' fun is the day I quit!:thumb:

I tried out 2 types of foliage, both by WS. The clump foliage and the lichen. I tried the lichen first and I must say I was not impressed with the results. It was probably me and the way I used it but for brush or undergrowth...it looked overly "twiggy" and out of scale. Maybe I need to cut it up more or put it in a blender or something. If anyone is familiar with it, let me know what, if anything, I'm doing wrong. I should have taken a pic of it but I took it off as soon as I put it on. It looked THAT bad!
The clump foliage on the other hand seemed to look very good and I am pleased with the results.
Scenery 069 small.jpg

Scenery 070 small.jpg
The sand I put down looks worse in the pics that in real life but I wasn't overly pleased with it either.:rolleyes: I want something that looks more like a light dry dirt than grains of over-sized sand...........anybody?

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
For a dirt look, why not sift some real dirt? Bake it in the over first to remove any moisture, and to break it up a little bit, then put it in something that would work to sift it

I myself like lichen, but I also like greenery, lush foliage etc to model, but as good as your rocks look, I would like to eventually give that a shot too