Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

R. MARTIN

Sep 12, 2006
ALLEN, TEXAS
Grid size.

Well, I designed it for HO and the grid is set at 12". If someone were building for N then the grid is at 6". S = 18", O + 24". The turnouts were #6 on the mainline and #5 in the yard. There are two curved turnouts on the main and several Y's. There is a 3-way in the yard.
I designed this layout several years ago using the basic ideas from two published layouts of which there is very little recognizable from either. The yard is too short for any major industry that doesn't incorporate logging equipment. This layout is really designed for steam with the heavy emphasis on turning the engines both on the Y's and the turntable.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
GREAT ROCK WORK STEVE!!!:thumb: :thumb: :D NICE shots of the mine too!:thumb::D . i think when you get some ground cover(greenery) around the rock work, it will REALLY set the job off:thumb::D . GREAT JOB!:thumb: :D -Deano

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thanks everyone for the kind words. But I don't deserve them.
This is kind of hard for me to say, but........I've deceived you all
I never meant to...I just wanted to be one of the guys and show you that I could build a layout like so many of you have. first I started out small, you know how it is...re-touch a photo here, tricky lighting techniques there, forced perspective and such. It's amazing the transformation that can take place when one uses "poetic license"...
I never meant for this to happen, I swear...The pats on the back were such a "rush" I became addicted.
I'm truly sorry for what I've done...I've cheapened our great hobby.
I want to come clean and show you my "REAL" layout....forgive me.
fun 2.jpg
Oh yeah, any advice or constructive criticism would be welcome.
I think the blue painter's tape worked out well for the river...Don't you?:thumb:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Deano:
Steve, well...all i can say is...WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE AUTORACKS!!!
You keep collecting engines and I'll keep collecting "fine scale prototypical rolling stock for the discriminating modeler"sign1

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
So, I guess you have one of those new 0-5-0 switchers now. . . . __________________
Chris
I've been waiting for it a month....it finally arrives.....I take it out of the box....

curvedfinger.jpg
And it's broken....Don't ya just hate that!

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
R. MARTIN,
Hope you didn't think I was ignoring you. I didn't respond to your track plan because frankly, being just a newbie (8 months) in this great hobby, I don't know enough to comment on it. I will say this though...all those Y's scare me. I'd hate to have to wire that up. You obviously are way ahead of me!:thumb:
Now to answer your other questions about my layout:
The track is all laid (Atlas code 83 flex and custom-line turnouts)
I am modeling the transition era 1940-50's so I will eventually run both steam and diesel (emphasis on steam).
This is a really long thread so I don't blame you for not going back too far, But if you skip around a little, you will get a "flavor" of what everyone has done here. I say everyone because this really was (is) a group project and I could not do without every one's encouragement and insight. I hope this helps. I encourage you to start a thread on this forum and post your track plan. You will get a lot of feed back.:thumb:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Hey Guys,
I'm making a tunnel portal and I can't find my NMRA standards gauge, you know, this thing:

Track guage.jpg

If any of you see it laying around in one of my pictures...let me know
thanks tooth1

p.s. Canopus....I was kidding;)