Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

variations

For me, that's part of the joy of planning (maybe I need to grow an afro and create a PBS series drawing track plans with 'happy little sidings'). That is, imagining the variety of settings any given arrangement of track could apply to. I often look over plans in the magazines or other books and do just that, imagine what other possible settings would lend themselves to these plans.

And (totally tongue-in-cheek) I thought this plan WAS simple!!:D

Galen

viperman

What are the dimensions of this layout? I know you are using 18", so what would be the difference in overall dimensions if using 22"?

Nazgul

Viperman,
here's the original track plan ( the river changed and bridge placements)...as far as your question goes.....my head hurts!hamr
nazgul2aa.JPG

UP SD40-2

viperman, you would need 44'' to make a circle/half circle;) , if that helpstooth1 . **Steve, looking at the overall track plan, i think Galen & you have come up with a FANTASTIC layout plan:thumb: :D . i don't think i would change ANYTHING, for the space you are using:thumb: . sorry, don't remember, are you using DC or DCC? :D -Deano

Nazgul

Deano, dcc...I'm too electronically DEclined to do it DC!
Galen,
as I await the sculptamold to dry...I remembered you saying in a recent post:
Photos from beneath the outermost track (front edge) up toward the mine and ridge above should be quite interesting...especially if you can shoot up under whatever bridge you put over the river
Well I took some pics( lookin' up) and I think on a totally sceniked layout they show some good potential. I never really gave much thought to photography other than to snap quick pics of my progress. Always something more to learn:)
Thanks my friend:thumb:
.........The sky could use a little work!

Scenery 034 small.jpg

Scenery 032 small.jpg

Scenery 031 small.jpg

viperman

Nice shots! I really would like to give this trackplan a go, but as it is, my 8x8 takes up a lot of space in the basement, and it may be hard to get my parents to give me even more room

Nazgul

plan mod

viperman,
this variation was suggested a while back to shorten the 14.5' width.
track plan alt.JPG

It works out to 11' x 8' or there abouts. You could straighten the yard out and even lengthen it. but you can't have the larger radii you wanted without gettin' BIGGER!
It gets the ideas cookin', don't it!:thumb:

Letapedis

Hello, Nazgul :)

Actually i can't comment much about your layout, because i'm very beginner to model railroading, and i just wanted to ask you a question, if i can, ofcourse :) Its my first post in this forum, so I'm very sorry if i posted it in wrong place :) And sorry for my bad english, but oh well, here it goes:

Your scenery looks GREAT! I've been trying to make something with foam and paint, but uh, it looks very bad, i must say. If it's possible, can i know how do you make your hills, rocks, ground in this layout? How do you paint it, how many diffirent colors you use for your rocks, for example?

Well, i really love the way it looks and i wish i could make something which is at least as half as good as yours. So, it would be really nice to know as much as possible about your landsscaping techniques etc :)

Thank you! And keep up the great work! I really like it :)

Nazgul

Letapedis,
Well, first of all, welcome to The gauge! and welcome to my thread! I'm really just a newbie myself...started in Jan of this year. If you start on page 12 of this thread I show the 2 colors of brown I used on the river bank. I use the same plus black for my rocks and cliffs. Read from page 12 on and You can see the basic technique. It really is simple. However, My way is hardly the only way or best way:thumb: . Use the search feature on the site and type in scenery....That will keep you reading awhile:D Also check out The Academy for tutorials and such. I will of course answer any questions you ask...be happy to do it:thumb: Read, read ,read
from one newbie to another;) that's my best advice
If I Can DO IT...YOU CAN DO IT!

Letapedis

Thanks, Nazgul! :)
Sorry for posting my question too early, i was just very curious :) Now i'm reading everything from first page and learning from your experience. Thanks :) Yeah, i will read lots and lots more of threads in this great forum :) Good luck with layout:wave:

91rioja

Letapedis:

Steve has it right; keep reading and asking questions. We here at The Gauge are always around to answer the questions, so don't be afraid to ask.

Steve:

I love the shots of the mine from underneath; that is some great work you've been doing. I'm still wishing I had a bigger room after seeing what you have put into you layout. Oh well, I'm going to chalk this one up as a learning experience. But at least I have enough track to run trains (just got two with sound on Saturday) back and forth.

R. MARTIN

Hi Steve!
I was wondering if you have enough room for a double decker layout? The area where your logging camp will go looks like a fine place to hide a helix. here is a pdf of a layout I drew up several years ago by combining several printed layout plans and modifying them to fit. It might give you an idea of the space a turntable takes up on a layout.

Nazgul

Letapedis:
Sorry for posting my question too early, i was just very curious
Not a problem.:thumb: You want to jump right in...I can respect that. When I first found this website, I "lurked" for a couple of weeks before joining. I read as much as I could and finally joined and posted my question(s). Truth be told, I just didn't want to ask a stupid question...I shouldn't have worried.:eek:ops: there are people of all levels of expertise from beginner to expert and everything in between. But everyone wants to learn and share their know-how. (I've even answered a few questions...got 1 right too!)sign1
Anything I can do to help let me know!:D

Chris:
I'm still wishing I had a bigger room after seeing what you have put into you layout. Oh well, I'm going to chalk this one up as a learning experience. But at least I have enough track to run trains
You have more than that! You're comparing apples and oranges. My layout has things yours doesn't.. Yours has things mine doesn't. you can run some BIG BOYS, I can't. You have lower level staging (interchange), I don't. I'm sitting here right now lookin' at a pic of your track plan and I LIKE IT...but more importantly, Galen likes it. So do what I'm going to do...If I find, down the road, I'm not happy with it.........I'M BLAMIN' HIM!sign1 sign1 sign1

R. MARTIN, I think you forgot the pdf:)

viperman

Nazgul said:
Letapedis:
Not a problem.:thumb: You want to jump right in...I can respect that. When I first found this website, I "lurked" for a couple of weeks before joining. I read as much as I could and finally joined and posted my question(s). Truth be told, I just didn't want to ask a stupid question...I shouldn't have worried.:eek:ops: there are people of all levels of expertise from beginner to expert and everything in between. But everyone wants to learn and share their know-how. (I've even answered a few questions...got 1 right too!)sign1
Anything I can do to help let me know!:D

Chris:
You have more than that! You're comparing apples and oranges. My layout has things yours doesn't.. Yours has things mine doesn't. you can run some BIG BOYS, I can't. You have lower level staging (interchange), I don't. I'm sitting here right now lookin' at a pic of your track plan and I LIKE IT...but more importantly, Galen likes it. So do what I'm going to do...If I find, down the road, I'm not happy with it.........I'M BLAMIN' HIM!sign1 sign1 sign1

R. MARTIN, I think you forgot the pdf:)
This is a great post Steve. I kinda did the same thing by lurking when I first joined too. Not sure why. There are people here of all expertise levels. I've answered a few questions right myself too. Always feels good to help someone out. You and I are both beginners, but your work sure doesn't show that. I myself have a lot of experience building 1:25 scale model cars, so this isn't COMPLETELY different, just makes you take a different apporach. Check my thread, and leave a comment there too, I'd like to hear from you there.
I have to contact Galen, and see if he could come up with a nice track plan that will fit on my (roughly) 8x8. Something perhaps similar to this one, but not quite as elaborate, as I would need to fit it all in there. Think I'll pm him, with my request, and see what he and I can work up.[

Martin, I also can't find your pdf.

sketching plans

viperman - I'd be happy to sketch something, but as I've been moving and settling and moving and now settling again as well as working 40-50hrs a week+, armchair modeling is about all I have had time for. So if you can wait a few days/weeks for a plan no problem, just send me your data (or, better yet, open it up in a new thread under the planning forum for a variety of replies) and I'll see what I can do.

Steve - I concur, the shots from the track below the mine look just great. Oh, and I would say Caveat Emptor, but since you didn't pay me anything for the plan I really can't warn the buyer. So, tell you what, if the plan doesn't work out, I'll refund you the price of my commission, no, even better, double your money back!sign1

Galen

R. MARTIN

I'll have to re-work this PDF file when I return to work in the morning. I't just a bit larger than The Gauge allows. :cry: Sorry.

Nazgul

falling rocks 2nd phase

Galen:
I would say Caveat Emptor, but since you didn't pay me anything for the plan I really can't warn the buyer.
OUCH!....................................I hate it when you're rightsign1
Thanks viper for the kind words!
What I've been up to...More rock work sans greenery
I will only say...I LOVE SCULPTAMOLD!:thumb:
One more thing...my $4.99 air brush gave up the ghost tonite...but it died a hero!:D luckily I bought a spare!

Scenery 038 small.jpg

Scenery 049 small.jpg

Scenery 050 small.jpg

Scenery 052 small.jpg

Scenery 053 small.jpg

R. MARTIN

With any luck, here is the design I talked about yesterday. I'm new on the Gauge so be kind.

Attachments

• FILE0001.PDF
    57.2 KB · Views: 59