Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Trackplansmall.jpg

Ok guys, the drawing is pathetic, what can I say? By the time I master Track planning software my 2 boys will be out of college! Anyway, I moved from a thread in HO that I started: http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109444
which resulted (with everone's help) in this bench plan for my basement. The black is the outline of the bench. My sorry drawing is pretty much to scale. the 2 large penninsulas are 4'-0 wide and 5'-0 deep. The small one on the right is 18" wide and 6'-0 or so long. the aisles are 30" wide. This is the way the bench must stay. the only change possible is the width of the aisles. I guess there's room to narrow them. I've been advised that given the size I have to work with, a logging theme might solve tight radius problems and allow for elevation changes in a relatively short run. This is my feeble attempt to get some ideas on paper to show people what I have to work with. As stated in my previous thread, I have two boys and continuous running is a must, but DAD needs some switching to keep my interest. If anyone can show me what can be done with this, I would be grateful. I can't see me doing anything with soft ware. Thanks.

Hi Steve, The thing about the layout software is that you get dimensionally accurate
drawings, with correct turnout geometry, etc. Without it, or some templates for
turnouts and turntables, you're sort of shooting in the dark. I would get a few turnouts
and track sections (the sectional track has fixed radius) and set up sections of the
layout on a table. It might make you adjust your plan and/or shift the benchwork
around slightly. Do you want to try flex-track? The turntable (if it includes a roundhouse)
is a real-estate hog :D :D You can certainly fif it in, just need some real dimensional data.:thumb:
Your plan includes a reverse loop which requires a little special wiring. (no
problem, just be aware) Did you say you were using DC?
Personally, I gotta have a double-track main line, on which two trains can run
without interfering with one another, but not everyone agrees!!
for HO track see:

http://www.trainworld.com/atlas/atlas_HO_track.htm
Goin' back to sleep now...

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I like the plan, Steve! :cool:

My only suggestion would be to move the turntable/engine facility over to the section where the yard is, & leave the continuous running/”dogbone” section open for logging, scenery, etc…

Keep us posted on your progress! :thumb:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Hey guys, I'll take the advice and get some track components maybe xerox some off and see what fits. I will be using flex track and had been toying with the idea of DCC. Will the turn-table fit on the narrow section where the yard is? It isn't mandatory that I have one, I just always thought they were cool. Any more suggestions/ideas?

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Nazgul said:
…. Will the turn-table fit on the narrow section where the yard is?...

Hi Steve!

You mentioned that the section with yard is 18” wide…that might be a little tight…I was looking at the space at the top of the right aisle, that might work…?

Also, if you could widen the yard section to 24”, you would be able to have a 12”, or even a 14” turntable, & a small yard without too much trouble…

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Drew, I'll widen the bottom of the yard section to 24". That way even if I don't go with the turn-table it will still be more usable. thank you

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you want a turn table, but don't have enough space for a major class one railroad facility, put one in your logging railroad. Loggers are generally small locomotives, you could use a small turntable and a "backwoods" style little two stall engine house.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thanx David I'll remember that. Hey Russ, that sounds like a great idea. I'll look into it as I progress.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
18" is plenty wide for a four-track yard in HO--I have a four-track yard that fits comfortably onto a 12" wide shelf. The problem with yards isn't width, but length--if at all possible give yourself another foot or two.

If you're going for a mountain theme, you can keep your grades modest by lowering the fascia rather than raising the track--the loop on the left looks like an ideal place to put a nice big mountain, with a logging camp along one side! The spur where you have the turntable would be a pretty good place to put a lumber mill.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
jetrock, appreciate your input. They all sound like things I need to be looking at. If you or anyone else has any more thoughts to share, I'd be glad to listen

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
That section of the layout that you have marked as "Loggong" seems to just be begging for a mountain with a switch back to the top. You might even put a sawmill on the siding drawn in and end the switch back section on the other side of the saw mill, for a loads in loads out industry. Log loads would come to the saw mill and go out as lumber loads. All cars could be loaded and unloaded by giant hands from the sky!

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
green elite cab...could you check out my post and give me any suggestions or advice. I would really appreciate it. I've seen some of your posts where you help poor slobs like myself. any thing you could do would be appreciated.
P.S. I'm a "JERSEY GUY" myself now living in OHIO. THANKS

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Well it looks pretty good if you ask me. The reverse loop and wye might be a concern. You will need to wire it all accordingly, and you'll have to remember to reverst the section so it won't cause a short. I assume this is just mainline, and that you want to add your own industrial spurs later? And it also seems like you would like a steam layout, with the turn table and logging. What kind of locomotives do you have?

Ohio is cool. I went their once, to visit the USAF mueseum. been to the COSI Mueseum and the Cincinatti aquarium while I was out. Thats some nice stuff.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thanks GEC for your comments. This was just a sketch of my first ideas of what would fit and look good in the layout. I definitely want some industrial spurs and will try to fit them in. I would prefer steam and was advised that the shape and size of my table top would best lend itself to a logging theme. As I stated in an earlier post, I will never be able learn the software programs to do my planning so I'm going to xerox some track components and see what fits where. I don't have any loco's or any other rolling stock either so if you want to suggest some, I'm listening. One thing I want to point out is, I have 2 sons who are 9 and 12 yrs old so I don't want top of the line yet.

Ohio is cool but I miss the PIZZA back home...

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think a nine year old and a twelve year old can be taught how to take care of the trains so they aren't damaged. Steam locomotives can be very delecate, and have to be handled carefully. If the boys aren't ready to learn to take care of detailed models at their current ages, when will they be ready to learn?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
More considerations:
reaching over things to get to the back of the layout. Plan to have anything that needs handling near the front.
Handling things in the yard. You may need a bit more space than standard (i.e. 2" centers) if little fingers are going to be uncoupling vars and re-arranging trains.
Have the plainest possible track at the back. If things come off, it will be on switches, and then the little ones may want to do their own rerailing. If I were doing the wye, I would use switch machines with extra contacts so there would be an indication on the control panel.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Nazgul said:
Thanks GEC for your comments. This was just a sketch of my first ideas of what would fit and look good in the layout. I definitely want some industrial spurs and will try to fit them in. I would prefer steam and was advised that the shape and size of my table top would best lend itself to a logging theme. As I stated in an earlier post, I will never be able learn the software programs to do my planning so I'm going to xerox some track components and see what fits where. I don't have any loco's or any other rolling stock either so if you want to suggest some, I'm listening. One thing I want to point out is, I have 2 sons who are 9 and 12 yrs old so I don't want top of the line yet.

Ohio is cool but I miss the PIZZA back home...

your welcome.

when it comes to locomotives, Athearn's GP-7 is impenetrable and cheap, but at the same time a good runner and all around excellent loco if good care is taken of it. your kids would be hard pressed to destory one if they tried. that goes for much of the other blue box kits.

How ever i cant help you to much with logging operations, as its not a subject i know to much about. all i know is that they commonly usesd Shays, and Climaxes, which are geared steam locomotives, as opposed to your run of the mill side rod steamer. Bachmann sells a Shay, and i think they also have a climax. they are delicate though, so they can only be "dad's" trains. give them a GP7 to pull normal freight. that would mix fine in a transition era layout.