Don't know what these are called

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Trying to figure out what these are called. Also want to know if anyone knows if i can buy them somewhere.
I couldn't find a good picture of them, so i drew my own.( very poorly)
I circled them in red. The black things. We have them at work on our dock doors. There made of a heavy leather, or vinyl. I always thought it helped keep the wind out, when a trailer is parked in the dock doors. Not sure if thats what they are used for :eek:ops: .

I want to scratch bulid a shipping building with alot of dock doors, and have these attached to them.

]
storagezh6.jpg
[/url]

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
They remind of diaphragms you see on passenger trains and serve almost the same function.I don't know exactly what they are called though.

Chris

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
The may be called door cushions. We have them as well on our loading docks. At just below deck level, there are bumpers, which the trucks back into. The cushions surround the door and also keep the trucks from backing into the building. I think they are also helpful with keeping the elements out of the trailer.

As to who sells them, I can't help you there. I would think you could scratchbuild some using small pieces of extruded foam or something like that.

Hope this helps.

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Thanks for the replys.

Thats what i was looking for jflessne.

I was thinking about useing styrene square tubing to make it, if i couldn't find a manufacturer, or seller for them.

Paint them black, then add yellow diagonal lines.

Thanks again.
CAS

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
People familier with cold country operations might chime in here. I just know of the use of dock seals in Southern California. Out here they are only used on refrigerated docks. A refrigerated trailer is backed up to the dock with the doors open if they have clamshell doors, doors closed if roll up. Then once docked and chocked, the loaders/unloaders in the dock will open the roll up door on the dock and load or unload the trailer. The dock seals keep the outside temps from heating up the refrigerated space on the dock. Usually on frozen docks, the refrigerated spaces will be kept at 0 degreees to -20 degrees, while the dock space between the trailer and the reefer box will be kept around 35-40 degrees. I don't know if they are used at all back East to help hold the heat in a dock when it is snowing outside. The Tropicana Juice plant in the City Of Industry receives car loads of juice from Florida under refrigeration, and they have a similar dock seal, only because the rail car does not back into the door, the seal is on an extension with a ramp that extends out to the car when the crew is ready to unload it.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Yea, they are used mostly for cold storage and dry good's warehouses to keep the dock dry and seal it up to keep thing from coming in and cold from going out. We have them on our docks and also help keep warmth in when it's cold out.

N

nachoman

how about using the black rubber thing that goes around window screens to hold them in place?

kevin