Don't do soldering barefoot!

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Hunkiedoo, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Hunkiedoo

Hunkiedoo Member

No more information will be given.:oops: Replies along the line of " You can't possibly be that stupid" jawdrop will be met with haughty distain.:D
  2. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Words to live by! Thanks for saving the rest of us the pain of discovery. We will benefit from your experience! :) Meanwhile, ice up that foot!
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

No doubt for the same reason I don't leave mine in a chair.:thumb:
  4. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

sign1 sign1 ant it wonderfull what we learn the hard way like arc welding in a short sleeve shirt:oops:
  5. b28_82

b28_82 Member

that sounds like my soldering w/o pants on and dropping solder on my thigh. I had that scar noticably for about a year.
  6. Relic

Relic Member

Man I need coveralls and welding gloves to fry bacon
  7. b28_82

b28_82 Member

Get one of those screen things with a handle to put over the frying pan.
  8. granitestate68

granitestate68 New Member

Way too much informationsign1 . By the way, this is my first post and I look forward to reading all the members adventures. Is there a Welcome forum here to introduce yourself. I didn't see one. It's probably right in front of me right?

9. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

#1 Hanging soldering iron cords with a puppy in room is a no-no.
    #2 Do not attemp to catch hot soldering iron - let it fall to floor and then pick it up.

Lessons learned hard way yesterday afternoon.
  10. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

:wave: welcome to the gauge :)
  11. granitestate68

granitestate68 New Member

12. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

...but I'm always making fences and catwalks outta the stuff...:thumb:

Welcome to The Gauge, Lee:wave:
  13. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

I have to resurface this post because I am sitting here in sweats and a t-shirt which is my normal stay-at home mom attire... yes, no shoes. I seem to do everything without shoes, with your warning, hopefully I will remember NOT to soldier without at least wearing crocks and socks!

Oh and probably covering the floor too
  14. lunatic

lunatic New Member

As a communications technician i've discovered what not to do with a soldering iron many times.

I've found hot melt glue to be worse though. I was sitting down with my legs crossed on the floor whilst using a hot glue gun. A large blob of hot melt glue landed on my leg and oh the pain!! I ended up with all of my leg hair glued together and one of the worse blisters i'd ever seen!! Lesson learnt...........
  15. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

I can see it now, everyone from the train forum buy a suit or armor just for soldering and using hot gluesign1

16. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

When we had our electronic manufactuing business, we did not let any of the assemblers work without having full foot covering. No sandles or any other open-toe shoes allowed. Some of them thought I was a bit too picky, but none of them ever had to hobble around with a burned foot either. Remember, melted solder is usually around 700-800 degrees. Hot melt glue is usually around 300-400 degrees but can be just as nasty since it sticks and you can't get it off until it cools. :cry:
  17. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

have you noticed it doesnt take long to figure out that you really need to get the hot glue where you want it on the first try,,,,, it gets a little on the warm side when you stick your finger in it to move it over a little,,,,,,, ,,,,, lots of info on this forum you just cant find in books,,, I went clear thru my soldering manual,,, nowhere did it mention not doing it barefoot,,,, thanks,,,,, lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,st
  18. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Your soldering manual might have been written by some pharmaceutical company that sells first aid products. :D

Oh, and I wouldn't do either task in a pair of shorts either.....:rolleyes:
  19. MopacNut

MopacNut New Member

Ummm, let me share a story. I was about 12 years old when this happened.

I had a layout in my parent's basement, and a friend and I were soldering under the layout. He'll never let me live this down.

I reached up and turned off the light to admire all the lighted buildings we had just finished.

Please, oh please, learn from my mistake- never leave a hot soldering iron on the floor and turn out the lights- especially if you're barefooted. The scars on my foot are gone, but not necessarily the mental scars. It was too darn funny to forget!
  20. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

I can give you another one. Don't sit cross legged on the floor with the soldering iron rest beside you. There is every chance in the world that you will forget that the (very) hot iron is there when you go to lever yourself up.

No it didn't happen to me, but I did get to duck the flying iron. :eek: