Dominion Atlantic ???

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by rockislandmike, Mar 13, 2002.

1. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

My fave mail order place indicates they recently got some new Proto 2000 RS3's. One of them is for a railroad named "Dominion Atlantic" (maroon and black). I thought I had heard of most railroads in North America - what the heck is a Dominion Atlantic ???
  2. billk

billk Active Member

It's Canadian - probably our Gauger's from the Great White can elaborate.
  3. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

Really?? I am from Canada, and still . . . maybe it's in the east somewhere????

PS - whoo whoo I'm a Senior Member now !
  4. billk

billk Active Member

Do a web search (I used google) for the phrase Dominion Atlantic. I would guess from the Atlantic part that it's an eastern RR.
  5. RI541

RI541 Member

Mike,

You've been a senior member for quite some time.

Congadulations

Shane

:D :D :D
  6. K.V.Div

K.V.Div Member

The Dominion Atlantic was a subsidiary of the Canadian Pacific and ran in the province of Nova Scotia from Yarmouth to Wndsor Junction.
    It connected to Saint Johns, New Brunswick by a marine connection (Rail barge, I beleve) and also with the Canadian National at Windsor Junction, as well as having trackage rights into Halifax.
    Main yards were in Kentville and there was also a connection to Truro where it served a gypsum mine.
    Most of the line is gone, however, a section running from Windsor Junction to New Minas (52 miles) and the section to Truro (about 5 miles) are still in use as the Windsor and Hantsport Railway.
    Gypsum is still the primary traffic.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers.

Terry
  7. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

A short line, alco diesels, mine service, rail barges...wow...
    It's got me drooling!
    Sounds like that could be a great basis for a layout!:cool: