Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by modelincard, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Kaz

Kaz Member

I grew up with dogs, we always had them, until I left home, at the tender age of 17, first to a mobile home (30ft long static caravan, then to a flat, and both were too small to house a dog.)
    Interesting thing about the blue eye/brown eye, in the UK we have a breed called a Blue Merle. these are very much like a bearded collie, and if they have the 'magic eye' they apparantly can see when the eye is closed, ie asleep, and will become the best sheep dog you can get. Excpt we use border collies for shepherding!
  2. MacHine13of13

MacHine13of13 Member

I'm starting to sweat. I would have swore that more folks believed in more dogs than kids.
  3. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Your vet is wrong. Before she died we had a German Shepherd or German Shephard mix dog that could say a pretty decent "hi" in the morning when we greeted her, or when she wanted attention such as going for a walk. At first it was just a yawn, but then it was more of a discernable "hi."

4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Heres Sume

Ryan............ yes other dog speak and sound very much like words......... Huskies actually talk in a language......... they say things the same way every time so that you are able to learn what they want........... without actually hearing and seeing it it is very hard to explain. It's is very unique......... believe me.

Attached Files:

5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Sume is Beautiful!

Looks almost identical to my Sasha!

Huskies do speak their own language and Sasha has a very large vocabulary, for a dog. 8v)
    I have to totally agree with you John, it must be witnessed to be fully understood.

To me, the husky breed is the most intelligent of the canine world.
    Not only does she have her own language but she tries to speak English too, in essence, this makes her bi-lingual. 8v)

No other breed of dog is capable of this feat!

6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks Russell............... I showed the pic of Sasha to my wife and daughter and they were amazed at the likeness.

Here's a picture(Polaroid) of Sume talking...........not a very good picture sorry.

Ryan....... I wish I could get a copy of her on tape and submit it................. I wish you could hear her. If you have a chance and see a Husky ask the owner to get 'em to talk. They will know what you are asking!

Oh.......... and you don't have to bath them............. they clean themselves like a cat. Sume is always white where she is supposed to be white, she really can't stand to be dirty. And they always have a "clean" smell, never a "wet dog" smell. It's amazing.

Attached Files:

7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Oh and one more thing................ The picture of Me and Sume was at a Heart Walk..........

It was the first time we walked in one together. She kicked into the sled dog mode and I felt like Mario Andrette, we were weaving in and out of the crowd, her up front and me trailing by the leash! I think I finished in record time........... very winded.

It was so cool, with the padding on her feet you can not hear her come up beside you. We would get next to people on the path and they would look down and see those blue eyes looking back at them and it never failed, they would jump back and shout "Where did that dog come from?" We just kept on going.

The next walk I held her back and she kept pace with me........

She always draws a crowd especially since the movie Snow Dogs came out. Kids just want to pet her and she loves it.
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I have problems with Sasha wanting to pull too. It's in the blood I guess.

I am a pretty large guy at 6'-2", 270lbs and it takes everything I've got to hold her back!
    I even bought a training harness that tightens when the dog pulls. The harder the dog pulls the tighter the harness gets.
    Don't waste your money on it. It will work for other breeds but not this one.
    The buried electric fence that is supposed to shock the dog when they get close to it, doesn't work for this breed either.

We get compliments on our dog everywhere we take her! It's amazing, how many offers we have had from people who want to buy her!
    I wouldn't take a million dollars for her though.
    It would be like selling my child. She is definitely part of the family!

Oh yeah, John, you mentioned earlier about accommodating this type of dog, if you live in a warm climate...Sasha loves to eat ice! It's a real treat for her! It's a good thing we have an ice maker in the fridge!! 8v)

I could go on about my dog all night, but that should be for a different kind of forum I guess.
    I will close with a funny looking pic of Sasha talking to me and then waiting for my answer.

Attached Files:

9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I had to throw in a couple pics of when we first got Sasha...6 weeks old!

Cooling off over the air vent and nap time!

Attached Files:

10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Great pictures! That's the main thing I missed with Sume, we adopted her she was already 5 so I didn't get to see her as a pup!

Yeah I'm 6' and 250 pounds and it is a real booger to hold her back, we use a body harness and that helps. Once I got her to slow to my pace, she picked it up right away and was ok with it. But she would kick into high gear when I started going a little faster. I NEVER take her off-leash out side the yard, as fast and as far as she can run we would never be able to catch her.

I'm like you I could go on, and on, and on.............

11. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Amazyah, John
    Outsanding pictures. I love dogs. I am getting ready leave for Chicago to interview with a company. I have one more photo to post when I get back. Keep them comming.
  12. cbg

cbg Member

Hey all,

Here's our eight year-old animal shelter mix that we call Mocha. She's a mutt, but we love her. She's not terribly interested in card models, however. . .

BTW, why is this thread under *****es & Gripes? cbg
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thanks, Dave!

cbg, your mocha is cute!
    She reminds me of the mutt I had back in high school.
    When he got excited his tail would go around like a helicopter blade so we named him Spinner.
    For some reason a mutt is usually the best for being lovable and friendly!
    Just looking at Mocha's pic you can tell she has a kind heart!
    Thanks for sharing her pic!

As far as this thread being under "*****es and gripes", I think it is because it was started in friendly retaliation of a cat thread! (Sorry Bones!)
  14. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Speaking of the thread "*****es and Gripes", why is it we can have a thread by that title, but you cannot type it's name in a post without it getting edited with *****?

15. rickstef

rickstef Guest

I guess that is part of the Forum OS that edits out the B word.

I assume that when an admin, like me creates a thread or forum section, those rules are ignored.

I am just thinking/typing out loud here

16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

"I am just thinking/typing out loud here

Thanks Rick, so was I! :)
  17. modelincard

modelincard Member

I think that they're in the "*****es and gripes" section because no one was sure where else to put it. (Or something like that.)
  18. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

I got one dog, who originally was my parent´s puppy but "adopted" me, when I spent some time with my parents, just having finished university and looking for work.
    This one is a mixture of eurasian and bobtail with some dax hound strewn in. The result is about the size of a fox terrier, but wider and definitely more hairs! Tends to be on the stubborn side, but loves cats and little children.

Greetings, Martin

Attached Files:

19. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

It's been a sad week. We lost Tootie on Monday. She was an 8 year old Bulldog. She had a stroke. :(
  20. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I'm very sorry to hear that Dave.

I've lost a few over the years but there is no other heart ache like the one that comes with losing a good friend.

I'm pulling for you.