Does this make sense?

I was planning for my future N scale by-the-wall layout. Since there is limited space, i am trying to fit two industries into one space. So i came up with this.

There is a problem, if the station is sandwiched between the industries, how are the passengers gonna cross over to their town? Is this even correct? If not, any other ideas to fit both oil refinery and intermodal dryport in this place? Each line represents a track. Thanks in advance! :)

2005567441235562593_rs.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I would put the station on the intermodal yard side (maybe represented as an "Amshack" so it does not take up much room). Have it accessed by a pedestrian bridge that crosses over the end of the intermodal yard. Would also make a great railfanning spot for your LPBs... ;)

Andrew

Torpedo

Oil refineries are huge places. If you are short on space, and even if your aren't, it might be a good idea to have the refinery spur(s) curve off behind something else, then stop out of sight of viewers. The industry itself is then presumed to be just beyond the layout, and it is not actually modelled.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess it doesnt make any sense to have a station sandwiched between industries. I will most probably move the refinery elsewhere, as topedo said, i think it would be quite big.

railohio

Torpedo said:
Oil refineries are huge places. If you are short on space, and even if your aren't, it might be a good idea to have the refinery spur(s) curve off behind something else, then stop out of sight of viewers. The industry itself is then presumed to be just beyond the layout, and it is not actually modelled.

So too are intermodal lift facilities. If you can't load out a whole train on one track, or close to it, you're in for a monstrous headache. There ought to also be support track in each industry for sorting cars, storing extra empties, etc. Don't forget, too, that having major industries on either side of a double track main almost certainly calls for having a pair of crossovers at each end to remove the need for a time-consuming backup move to either.

Yeah true also. I will be using Walther's Mi-Jack in my intermodal yard, is there any other equipment other than a small office? The width of the place will be 50CM or 20".

Russ Bellinis

A prototype intermodal yard is huge. I worked in one of the smallest intermodal facilities in the Port of Los Angeles and we had 2 "hammer head" cranes, 6 transtainer(straddle cranes), 2 top handlers, 2 side handlers, a dozen yard trucks and "bomb carts" (chassis made of 1 inch thick steel to load and unload ships with) and 8 ex-postal jeeps for use by the checkers. In addition their was a chassis yard where the chassis were stored for the delivery truckers to pick up a chassis before gettng a container or to drop off a chassis after dropping a container. We probably had 10 rows of container stacks 4 containers wide, 3-4 contsiners high and about 1/4 mile long. There were generally 50 or more trucks in the yard all day long either picking up or dropping off loads. For buildings, you need a small shack for the chassis inspector to inspect chassis in and out, a repair shop to maintain all of the equipment, and a main office where the loaded containers are checked in and out. In my opinion an intermodal facility is better kept off layout with the intermodal trains going to a staging yard. If you like the Walthers Mijack crane and want to use one, there are small facilities that load and unload one or two "husky stack" cars at a time that would occupy a small plot of land with maybe 6-12 containers stacked on one side.

Wow, i guess intermodal yards in US are huge. Anyway, i have to use the Mijack crane since i already bought it, haha. I will most probably go with the small facility that loads and unloads a few husky stack at a time.

Thanks for the replies!