Does this exist?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by CNWman, Feb 20, 2007.

1. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Triplex I saw you posted in the paint shop post. I just posted there , I was wondering how accurate those drawings are. Do you know, is this a good example of what you are saying about the athearn not being quite right? Thanks
  2. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

I can't say if they're all of equal quality, but it was from those drawings that I learned how to tell an SD50F from an SD60F and an RS-10 from an RS-18. So I think they're quite good.

The Athearn isn't a DDA40X at all, but it looks very close to a DD35A. In fact, I don't know if there is a difference. Many people use it as a DD35A.
  3. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Ok cool Thanks
  4. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

Can anyone tell me where...

...I can get a nice, plastic "Jawn Henry", the ultimate tea pot, for cheap in N?

Actually I'm a S and Q guy too CNWMan- the kewlest.

announce1Fun reading you guys- thanks. Not too many blackeyes- heh.

5. puddlejumper

puddlejumper Member

Okay, I was unawares of the flares on the DD35As. Well then methinks the Athearn is prolly a DD35A. Still don't know for sure since I don't have one to examine.

6. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

heres pics of my athearn dd40/35 (37.5)
    The fans on top in the middle look like a 40 but the split fuel tanks it looks like a 35. Im a rookie so not sure what other things to look for.
  7. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Why is there always a beer can in my pictures?aussie
  8. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

the doors on the side look like dd35
  9. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

cab windows look like dd35
  10. puddlejumper

puddlejumper Member

I would think that a DD35A would have one small fan in between the 2 big fans, (on each hood) rather than 3 big fans. Don't know for sure. I would say that the Athearn DD40 is a never-built standard cab version of the DDA40X.

11. EsPeeMEC

EsPeeMEC New Member

According to "Diesel locomotives - the first 50 Years" EsPee operated 3 DD35s while the other 27 went to Omaha, along with the 15 cabbed units.

As for the Athearn DDA40X, it looks like 2 SD45 long-hoods with a '35-series cab: the flared radiators on the 12inch-to-the-foot one are stepped, not one depth for their entire langth. Maybe it should be dubbed the "DD40-and-a-bit":confused:?
  12. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

I have to ask, why does everyone call it a DD"A"40X.

On both UP's site, and in my books, it is referred to as a DD40AX. I have alot of people try to tell me i'm wrong, but no one can find any EMD papers that call it a DDA40X.
  13. puddlejumper

puddlejumper Member

Yeah, I had the owners wrong. I looked it up on Wikipedia after I had made that post and found that Espee had the first 3 DD35s. All the other DD35s and DD35As went to UP. Sorry 'bout that y'all.:rolleyes:

As for DDA40X vs. DD40AX I don't know. Shoot, I don't even know what the "A" stands for.
  14. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

Don't worry, i shot myself down earlier today. It is, in fact, DDA40X. the "A" means it had a cab. if it didn't it was a boost. The "X" is for the centennial or something along those lines. Its basically just there to look cool.
  15. PRRman

PRRman Dum-Dum Pop Addict

How many Irishmen does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Five: one to hold the bulb and four to drink until the room spins.aussiesign1Translation: the world may never know.
    Disclaimer: I mean no offense by this lame 3-in-the-morning joke whatsoever to anybody who is proud of their Irish heritage, I being one of those people. Just do as the following diagram shows, and all will be as it should be::v8: