Does this even exist?

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Hey all,
I caught the bug. My family & I visited the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railway this summer and now I have been inspired to model it. Thing is, I've always been an N scale person and have never had any dabblings in narrow guage.
I have read through most of the posts on this string and learned a lot but still have some other questions.
Question - I want a K-36 class mudhen 2-8-2 engine #484 or #487. I know that is awfully specific. The C&TSR has a gauge of 3'. Does that mean I would be looking for something in HOn3? Does anyone know if such a critter is available commercially (plus track and turnouts and rolling stock or coaches)? I don't understand the abbreviations for narrow gauge but this is my best guess. I'm not much of a kitbasher but I fear that is the only way I will achieve my goal. If that's the case, it will probably never happen.
Sorry for the jumble of questions. Any help would be appreciated.
The link shows pictures of the engine and coaches I want...
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=11162

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Good info. Unfortunately, I was unable to access the last site. I like Brass and that is definitely an option.

gcodori

You must subscribe to the yahoo group to access it's files...sorry, should have mentioned this in my first post.

Well worth subscribing if you are into HOn3 (there are dozens of train related groups in Yahoo).

Gregc

jon-monon

HOn3 is correct for 3 ft gauge.

So would Nn3, Sn3 of On3. I'm guessing HOn3 will be most practical overall. I suggest getting NGSL.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
TrainNut,
Z scale track, and mechanisms can be used for Nn3. The first link shows my outside frame 2-8-2. It's freelance, but I used my HOn3 D&RG K27 (brass) as a guide, specificly for the trailing truck. The K36 has been done in HOn3 brass. Jon's recomendation of Narrow Gauge and Shortline (NGSL) magazine, would be your best source of information. There might be ads there that could help you find a K36.
Pete

Pooh Bah
It is generally believed that the entire narrow gauge rolling stock of the D&RGW has been available as HO brass RTR or craftsman kits. Also, every unpainted wood structure in Colorado. ;)

2slim

Trainnut
There is a Yahoo group specifically for N Scale D&RGW fans, (that dabble in Nn3 as well).

2slim