Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like it

• I don't care

• Total voters

shaygetz

Peter T Davis said:
I'm not bashing anyone, genuinely looking for feedback is a better way to say it. ;)

The use of the word 'hate' is more attributable to my sense of humor than to what I think of any of the feedback I've seen here.

Put it this way, if nobody tells me what they think, then I'm left with the opinion that either nobody cares or everyone is happy. Of course, more people will let me know when something is not working well, than when it is. ;)

I used to work retail sales. One of the first lessons you learned was how valuable certain customers were. An angry customer costs approximately $27,000 in lost sales over a ten year period because of word-of-mouth advertising. However, a happy customer only generates $9,000 in sales over the same period by the same method. Needless to say, the squeaky wheels got the grease, the quiet ones got little if any attention at all. :rolleyes:

I do appreciate all the work I know this takes :thumb:
Check's in the mail, right? ;)

Will_annand

I know we need the adverts, but why not place them across the top, beside the logo, that space is not used right now anyway.

C

Catt

Peter

I don't like the sidebar.

I also don't like the adds,"BUT" I've been on this rock long enough to know that nothing is free and them dadburned adds help you pay the bills and that I do like. :D

I would rather see the sidebar gone and the adds placed top and bottom of the page.

While I'm on this box and b***hin' I 'm not to crazy about the placement of the members names over their posts,but I'm starting to change my mind about that. :D

By the way some FYI for the newer members. This board has been called "Big Blue" for good reason almost from it's beginning over 4 years ago.Now why would you want to fix something that ain't broke (cept maybe Peter's wallet :D :D :D )

Ok,who wants the box next????

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Hi Pete. First off I'd like to say thank you for all of the work that you put into the Gauge. Usually it works so well that many of us just take it for granted. I'm fine with most everything you've done, but I must agree with many that scrolling sideways is a real pain in the rear. While changing resolution can help, most of us have the settings the way we like it and having to change it for one web site is annoying. Ads across the top, bottom or wherever is fine as long as it doesn't disrupt my reading of the threads. Keep up the good work. :thumb:

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Well I am pleased as this will suite most of the members. Thanks Peter for doing all this work. I hope you get some revenue from the ads.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Peter,

Fantastic, I'll bet if you took a poll now the "hate it" column would all but go away.

Thank you for all your hard work, I've never seen anyone work so hard to please everybody. You have a winner here, :thumb::thumb:not that it wasn't before....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
It looks fine in this thread but when I go back to the startup for the Gauge, the left column is back again

ezdays

Out AZ way
Matthyro said:
It looks fine in this thread but when I go back to the startup for the Gauge, the left column is back again
Yeah, the "home" page is the only one with the menu on it now. That's also where the ads are located on this page. Just one thing, this is the only page the main menu shows on and it is really the only page that it becomes redundent. Take the "home" button for instance. This is the only page with a home button, but gee, you are on the home page already....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Still, if it doesn't change anymore, that would be fine too. :thumb::thumb:

I'm am plum ignorant about what size resolution I have. All I know is that everything is easy to read, the print is big and easy to read and I don't have to scroll left or right or anything like that to read. I have been to websites where I have to scroll side to side to read a paragraphs so I know what you are talking about. I love The Gauge. It's the best thing that's happened to me since--------well, almost.

Will_annand

Thanks for fixing it up Peter. :thumb:
You and the other moderators are what make The Gauge, the best forum on the net.

When you join The Gauge, you do just that "join", you feel like you belong.

I recently had an email discussion about another forum I belong to ( one of the 10 :D ). The attitude at that one is that the moderators "RUN" the forum and that the others are mearly their guests. The one comment that got me was relating to someone posting a comment about changing a forum procedure: "If I invite you to dinner and serve chicken, would you complain and ask for steak?"

It is obvious that these moderators just don't get it. A public forum on the internet is NOT your private home, it is more like a public library. you should be able to go in and ask "why" or request a change. For example, I came back to my hometown about 3 1/2 years ago. The public library here had ZERO books on model railroading. I questioned this and wanted them to start getting some in. I was not told the equivalent of "you have to do this hobby becuase we have the books". The librarian marked down my request and I went in about 6 months later and the librarian came over and told me she had some funds set aside and wanted to know from me, what model RR books would be good to get.

Maybe that was just the librarian's way, but it impressed me. Maybe it is just that this is a small town attitude (pop 18,000). I doubt that if I was in the city, I would have even been listened too.

Possibly The Gauge still has that small town friendly "we care" attitude while some other forums have that big city, "you are only one out of one million" attitude.

Either way, I like it better here and as a member, I feel I "belong" to The Gauge. :thumb:

Will_annand said:
A public forum on the internet is NOT your private home, it is more like a public library.

But if they're paying for it, they have the right to set the tone and rules, just as you would expect in your own home. Being on the internet is not carte blanche to speak ones mind with impunity. Society as a whole still expects a modicum of civility towards others, even when not speaking directly face to face. I've seen this particular topic several times on different forums. My feelings on it that if you wouldn't say something face to face with someone, then it's usually better left unsaid in a forum as well. I like the Gauge, primarily because I feel it's members are generally civil towards one another and any flames are quickly extinquished. Just my opinion.