Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Peter T Davis

Apr 14, 2004
New England
www.zealot.com
I need to find out if the complaints I'm getting about the left column causing the site to not fit in your screen is a widespread problem or something that's just specific to a couple of vocal people (no offense intended). Please voice your opinion by voting in this poll.

J&A_RR

Feb 11, 2005
austin, tx (round rock)
hate is such a harsh word. I would say not in favor of. I am not complaining! I got bashed for mentioning the color thing. hehehehe....
thanks everyone for all the work ya'll do to keep us up and running.

Peter T Davis

Apr 14, 2004
New England
www.zealot.com
I'm not bashing anyone, genuinely looking for feedback is a better way to say it. ;)

The use of the word 'hate' is more attributable to my sense of humor than to what I think of any of the feedback I've seen here.

Put it this way, if nobody tells me what they think, then I'm left with the opinion that either nobody cares or everyone is happy. Of course, more people will let me know when something is not working well, than when it is. ;)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I use 1280 by 960 screen resolution and see everything fine. I understand the need for advertising revenue to help pay the bills. Change is always tough until we get used to it.

Thanks for the poll. I also don't hate it but I'm so used to it not being there, I don't think I would use it much.

Another thing that I don't exactly hate, though it comes close, is black fonts on dark blue background such as the text of this poll. Perhaps it's my browser, or simply the morning light through the office window, but I had to highlight the text with my cursor to read the text. (After you vote it turns to white text.)

Minor inconvenience on a much-appreciated forum. Thanks!

Wayne

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Matthyro said:
I use 1280 by 960 screen resolution and see everything fine. I understand the need for advertising revenue to help pay the bills. Change is always tough until we get used to it.
I also use the higher resolution, and usually have to disable my browser's sidebar in order to see all pictures without using the side-to-side scrollbar. I still have to once in a while, even with the scrollbar turned off, so I would think I can expect more of this with the Gauge menu to the left now.

I agree about the advertising, and welcome it as a way to help support this forum, but if they can be put elsewhere on the page, I could then do without the menu as well.:)

Oh yeah, even now and without my browser's sidbar on, this compose window is off the screen to the right. I can only imagin the plight of those using a lower screen resolution.:eek::eek:

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
I use a lower res(800x600) because of my sight, any higher res and everything is two small to read.:p

advertiseing does not bother me too much, just glad its not one of those pop up screens type, you know the ones I mean, the ones you keep closing, and closing, and closing, only to have them open up again...and the content fits the forum(train stuff):D :D :D

also the blue on blue is hard to take on the old headlights, would like the other orturnitive,( white feild)...thanks again pete, for getting my friends back up and posting once again... have a good one..steve:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Does the left column annoy me? Not as much as the in-no-way-train-related off-topic "free" offers posted by anddy_444.

My only comment is that I don't like having to scroll to the right to read the posts. Leave the left column, but resize so the entire screen shows would worr for me.
Doc

CBCNSfan

Mar 11, 2005
NS Canada
Well I voted for " Like it" although I might be leaning to I don't care. I'm using 800 X 600 resolution and with the horizontal scroll bar to the right most of it is gone. ( Don't care)

Now being a newbie and not knowing the site as well as the regulars, it looks like a handy tool for navigating the site, more in depth than the user bar at the top for finding topics of imediate intrest ( search) the adds below the links don't bother me at all, therefore ( Like it).

Anyway that is my honest opinion :thumb:

Cheers Willis

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Pete,I have no problems with it..I do like the quick forum addition..Now instead of having to click on the Gauge and then scroll to the forum I want to visit next all I need to do is click on the forum I want to go to next.Very convenient IMHO.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
The new sidebar is a big problem for people with smaller monitors, laptops etc. forcing information off the right edge of the screen. Changing screen resolution can make the page fit, but can also make the type too small to read. It is certainly no fun to have to scroll back and forth just to read a thread.

Another thing I personally don't like is the way the avatars are now part of the thread column. I preferred them to the left, where it seemed to make more sense.

The links in the sidebar are redundant. The ads obviously pay for our bandwidth so that's cool.

My suggestion would be to get rid of the links, which we have elsewhere, and move the ads to the top or bottom of the page.

Val

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Peter,
Now that you've brought it to my attention......As VAl said, the sidebar is redundant, and it does force the posts to the right, and requires some moving of the page to read the whole thing. Having the avatars on the right did much the same thing, just not as noticably. It would be an improvement to eliminate the side bar, and move the adds to top or bottom of the screen.
Pete

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
How difficult would it be to move the sidebar to the RIGHT of the screen?
I don't usually look at posts by category; I use the "new posts" feature.
(I used to be a programmer -- I know what it's like when someone asks for a feature that wasn't anticipated and sounds like a minor adjustment.)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Peter,

I don't mind the bar, although I do find it a bit redundant. Since you have moved the members' names to the top of the posts, I don't see how it really takes up any extra space. Also, I am using the 1440x900 "widescreen" setting on my iMac, so I can stretch the screen wider than most, I guess. I have not yet used its navigation capability... but I expect I will eventually

One other bit of feedback though - I find the "bold" white text hard to read against the blue background. The "non-bold" is fine - it reminds me of the (really) old WordPerfect for DOS ;)

There have been other debates like this over changes (as you probably know), so things will smooth out soon, I am sure.

Thanks for the hard work to keep The Gauge going strong.

Andrew

Peter T Davis

Apr 14, 2004
New England
www.zealot.com
60103 said:
How difficult would it be to move the sidebar to the RIGHT of the screen?
I don't usually look at posts by category; I use the "new posts" feature.
(I used to be a programmer -- I know what it's like when someone asks for a feature that wasn't anticipated and sounds like a minor adjustment.)

Not very difficult. It's one option. We're working on another option that might be nicer, though. We're not done here yet. ;)