Does SIZE Matter?

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
GG-1s are my most favorite locomotive in the world. Here's "yours truly" just moments from pure bliss- crossing the threshold!

Attachments

• jan84_ladder.jpg
    jan84_ladder.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 182

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Of course...

...when looking from the outside, you'd think theres room for a reception area, some plants, a two car garage, perhaps.

Attachments

• jan84_outsidegg1.jpg
    jan84_outsidegg1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 183

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
On the right...

...is the outside skin of the cab compartment which runs the length of the cab from front to back between the windshields. there's an alley between the right and left sides of the locomotive. It's "H" shaped (to a T). There are doors in the alleyway to let you access the motor compartment and it traverses the length of the body. I didn't have a flashlight so I don't remember much except "black".

Anyway, here's a closer shot of the cab stand.

Mind you, I am 6'-3" and yes SIZE does matter- I couldn't walk down the narrow passage without twisting my shoulders sideways and take sidesteps.

Pretty kewl- I always wanted to get inside of one of these- thanks to my friend Blake- we managed all 10 that were parked in Kearny, NJ at NJ Transits loco shop just after they were retired. The photos are dated Jan '84.

Attachments

• jan84_insidecgg1.jpg
    jan84_insidecgg1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 189

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
See, I was right. it...

...was Port Elizabeth- just like I said!:eek:

Mark

By the way Jim, I believe that's a re-paint for the unit that's on display- I think at Hoboken?

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I love GG-1s and went inside the one on display in Altoona, PA. I was quite intrigued at the wall to wall cork flooring they used. At 6'2" 255lbs. I too found it quite cozy in there. Musta used ex jockeys for engineers.