Does sanding loco wheels damage them?

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by KJH, Mar 26, 2006.

1. KJH

KJH New Member

Newbie question?

I am setting up an 027 Marx train set...have new lionel track, etc. A friend gave me an old Marx 333 loco that he bought at an estate. He cleaned it up for me prior to giving it to me and apparantly used about 150-220 grit sandpaper on the wheels. They are shiny metal now, not the dark color of other cars and locos I have seen.

Will this loco still run properly (assuming all else is fine) or are the wheels supposed to have some sort of coating to help grip the track to avoid slipping. They feel rather slick even after cleaning them with Goo Gone and then a little alcohol. They feel very slick to the touch compared to some of the wheels on other cars that have only been cleaned, but not sanded. IF they are supposed to have a coating, is there anything I can apply to achieve the same effect?

Thanks in advance for any help. The loco is in really good shape, but I am curious about the wheels before I go any further.

2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

If there are scratches on the wheel's left by the sandpaper, the scratches will tend to pick up dirt and create problems.
  3. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

dito on what Russ said but it sounds like it was finer paper than 220 grit if its that smooth what your feeling on the other wheels i would think is the patina of age. think they will run fine the way they are.
  4. KJH

KJH New Member

Thanks for the help! It is very appreciated.